A.R.T SGX 2000 11 X

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
John Mackenzie
Information

Post by John Mackenzie »

Hi good people. i have been looking for a foot controller to use with my Quadreverb GT. I have now bought an ART SGX 2000 11-X from Ebay. i don't yet have it (probably next week ). I did not realise that this gadget was really a guitar processing unit, with Midi functions. (me being stupid really). Any way, does anyone know if I can use this footpedal to control my Quadreverb ? I only want to be able to switch between programs stored in the Q Verb, not needing to control individual parameters within a program, I hope I have not bought the wrong type of footswitch to do this. I do realise there are other models of switches for this purpose, and I should have looked into this a bit more before buying. It did seem a good price at the time !! Any advice would be very welcome. Cheers-- jus going for a beer.

mistermikev
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: deville 4x10
Completed builds: -modded big muff (russian) w 6way rotary selecting clipping dioes/emitter lift/true bypass/new pots.
-modded ts8 with diodes, 4558chip, 10k/100ohm resistors
-byoc analog chorus-built a two true bypass loop/order switch
-tube crusher = tube screamer + orange squeezer
-booster
-nurse quacky
etc

Post by mistermikev »

well... use it yes... use it how you envision using it... who knows.
you'll have to snag a manual and look at the midi implementation of it. looks like it has midi out on the foot pedal -> midi in on the rack -> midi thru port on the rack to your quad(I'm not sure you could program the pedal w/o plugging into the sgx). Most devices will easily have a prog send table where you can setup such that when you choose prog 1 on the art it will choose prog x on the quad. beyond that is where you need to know the specific midi implementation of that device. ie... can you turn on/off this effect with that button. i didn't search much but I couldn't find a free version of the manual that would allow me to read. hope this helps.
I have all the parts on the board populated... so all the real work is done... now I just have to get it working.

John Mackenzie
Information

Post by John Mackenzie »

mistermikev wrote:well... use it yes... use it how you envision using it... who knows.
you'll have to snag a manual and look at the midi implementation of it. looks like it has midi out on the foot pedal -> midi in on the rack -> midi thru port on the rack to your quad(I'm not sure you could program the pedal w/o plugging into the sgx). Most devices will easily have a prog send table where you can setup such that when you choose prog 1 on the art it will choose prog x on the quad. beyond that is where you need to know the specific midi implementation of that device. ie... can you turn on/off this effect with that button. i didn't search much but I couldn't find a free version of the manual that would allow me to read. hope this helps.

Thanks for nice reply mistermikev. I think I might have a bit of learning to do here.! I think, from reading the manual for the ART SGX, that I should be able to control the Q Verb, even if a bit limited. The ART SGX looks quite interesting as a guitar effects unit too, being a tube driven unit, which I do like. I will just have to wait until it arrives and then experiment. i will post results here, success or not. Cheers, and thanks for your time spent on this.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Yeah the ART SGX 2000 foot controller will work just fine with the Quadraverb, I suspect what you really were intending to buy was the foot controller only and not the ART rack effect unit. The footcontroller is called ART X15. I hope you get the foot controller with the effects rack, keep the midi foot controller and re sell the rack.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Just to add to that ,

X11 footcontroller = patch selection and bank selection.
X15 footcontroller = as above plus the tredle.

I have an X11 which I use to select patches on the Blue Nebula echo. both should work with the Alesis.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

John Mackenzie
Information

Post by John Mackenzie »

Hi good people. My problem is solved. I have indeed bought the correct thing, which is just the foot controller, not the effects unit. I did not realise the description in the advert was really describing the unit as the foot controller for the ART SGX 2000. I had gone on to internet to find a user manual for the ART SGX 2000, not the X11 switch, which led me to think I had bought the wrong thing !! All I need now is to find my old Midi cables and hook it up to test. i have no idea where I have put them, as ,for the last few years, i have been using Midi-USB cables only, connecting to computers.
thanks to all for your help and advice.

John

John Mackenzie
Information

Post by John Mackenzie »

Ice-9 wrote:Just to add to that ,

I have an X11 which I use to select patches on the Blue Nebula echo. both should work with the Alesis.
Thank you Ice-9. it is indeed an X-11 I have bought and now have it here. Just need to find my old Midi cables. ( Lost in boxes somewhere !)

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

John Mackenzie wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:Just to add to that ,

Thank you Ice-9. it is indeed an X-11 I have bought and now have it here. Just need to find my old Midi cables. ( Lost in boxes somewhere !)
I'm glad you got the right thing John, the X11 does th eprogram change, ie select patch 1 and you get patch 1 on the QV etc, but depending on how each bit of hardware deals with midi numbers then they could be 1 out. ie midi should be 0-127 while some units will use 1-128.

The X11 cannot be mapped but maybe any midi mapping you need to do can be made in the QV. If you can't do PC Midi mapping then it would be a case of saving each patch in the correct order you want the footawitch to select them on the Alesis QV.

Happy foot dancing :)