Caline CP-15 "Tantrum" [Gutshots]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
LowEnd
Information

Post by LowEnd »

Hey everybody.
A lot of the fun with these cheapo clones (Joyo, Nux, Caline etc.) derives from the guesswork which pedal they ripped off. While most of the Caline lineup has been decoded, no one bothered to take a look the CP-15. There were some guesses, ranging from Wampler Triple Wreck to EHX Metal Muff. So I did, what we do best: Bought one and opened it! :horsey:
The leaflet straight up tells you that it is inspired by the Boss Metal Zone MT2, but while I am no use a tracing, the topology with the boost, fixed mids and four 4558's looks at lot closer to the EHX pedal. Mystery solved! Now: Any worthwhile mods?

:idea: PS. The quality of the build seems a bit sloppy: The legs of top right pot were twisted to fit it through the hole, there was some solder residue sprinkled across the PCB und and some solder-spots were dull. Haven't had the chance to thoroughly test it, to see if there problems because of/beside it.
Also of note: This isn't the same PCB as the Joyo JF-17 Extreme Metal.

obieito
Information

Post by obieito »

I would appreciate some help regarding the possibility of modding this pedal; I'd like to lower the gain, or more exactly to have a more controllable and dynamic gain level. In my opinion, this one like some other pedals have too much distortion too early in the pot range. I have modded a JOYO overdrive by soldering a resistor to pins 1 and 3 of the gain pot, and it gave me more control on the drive level.

I guess this is also a possibility here, any help about if it should be ok, and possible resistor values?