TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

Ichabod_Crane wrote:Hi!
I'd like to ask you, is this schematic the same of the original TC Electronic? And is it verified?

I also want to link this layout:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.it/2017/ ... -mini.html
It's labeled as UNverified, but should be verified by an user, though the Gain pot could be reversed. This layout use the 500k gain pot, so it included the 100pF cap.

I need a verified version.

Thanks!
hi,values verified ,oops my mistake gain pot 100k ,and interprete as you wish the right position
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

original gain schema
spark.jpg
guitars,pedals and amps.

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

Thank you.
1. In the schematic there's a cap labeled C2 - 4.7k, I guess it's a 4.7uF.
2. Between the protoboard layout and the schematic I found different transistors, because the BC849c and BC859C are probably smd type.
3. The the diode should be for the reverse polarity protection: in the schematic it's in serie and in the layout it's across the ground.
4. In the layout the 100nF filter cap is missing. Maybe with a pair of move we van find the space to include it.

I see who built the layout had find an "output overload". Maybe it was caused by the 500k pot? Now we know it's 100k.

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

Ichabod_Crane wrote:Thank you.
1. In the schematic there's a cap labeled C2 - 4.7k, I guess it's a 4.7uF.
2. Between the protoboard layout and the schematic I found different transistors, because the BC849c and BC859C are probably smd type.
3. The the diode should be for the reverse polarity protection: in the schematic it's in serie and in the layout it's across the ground.
4. In the layout the 100nF filter cap is missing. Maybe with a pair of move we van find the space to include it.

I see who built the layout had find an "output overload". Maybe it was caused by the 500k pot? Now we know it's 100k.
I, mr ichabot

1. yes is 4.7uf
2.the right one´s BC849C
3.the diode correct is in serie
4.which layout,mine ?
guitars,pedals and amps.

Jan1966
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Jan1966 »

Build it or breadboard it. Then verify it yourself. Not many components if you are worried about the cost.

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

rcustoms wrote: [...]
4.which layout,mine ?
[...]
3. I thought that a diode in serie and a diode across the ground do the same work. I also supposed that in serie, the diode, drops a bit of voltage (even if in this case we already have a 47R in serie). Anyway, these two way can have make some difference?
4. And, I'm sorry :slap:, I was talking about the layout I linked early: http://effectslayouts.blogspot.it/2017/ ... -mini.html You can see the 500k pot, how I asked, can be that the cause of the extra boosting detected? I'm not sure, I can't get it. :hmmm:

Did you build your layout?
Jan1966 wrote:Build it or breadboard it. Then verify it yourself. Not many components if you are worried about the cost.
Thank you, Jan1966. Honestly, the pedal wouldn't be for me, but for a friend of mine, and though I know the cost are not high at all, I'll never make to pay my friend, and at the same time I don't know if want to spend for me, right now. I have a cheap breadboard, but even cheapers jumpers, and I'm not very confortable with it. But, maybe I could use it heavily this time and see what happen.

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

Ichabod_Crane wrote:
rcustoms wrote: [...]
4.which layout,mine ?
[...]
3. I thought that a diode in serie and a diode across the ground do the same work. I also supposed that in serie, the diode, drops a bit of voltage (even if in this case we already have a 47R in serie). Anyway, these two way can have make some difference?
4. And, I'm sorry :slap:, I was talking about the layout I linked early: http://effectslayouts.blogspot.it/2017/ ... -mini.html You can see the 500k pot, how I asked, can be that the cause of the extra boosting detected? I'm not sure, I can't get it. :hmmm:

Did you build your layout?
Jan1966 wrote:Build it or breadboard it. Then verify it yourself. Not many components if you are worried about the cost.
Thank you, Jan1966. Honestly, the pedal wouldn't be for me, but for a friend of mine, and though I know the cost are not high at all, I'll never make to pay my friend, and at the same time I don't know if want to spend for me, right now. I have a cheap breadboard, but even cheapers jumpers, and I'm not very confortable with it. But, maybe I could use it heavily this time and see what happen.
i don´t make it yet soom as posible.
3.the diode in the original schem is in series ,just for info
guitars,pedals and amps.

Gillesmerlin
Information

Post by Gillesmerlin »

I have a trouble with this board. It seems that the pot is not working, that it is always at max !
Can someone help me ?

Reachahighernoon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Reachahighernoon »

Can someone explain to me, please, why is this circuit so overbuilt?

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Reachahighernoon wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 10:32 Can someone explain to me, please, why is this circuit so overbuilt?
Well. Essentially, it isn't. If it's simplicity you're after, you have the one transistor designs: SHO, LPB1 etc. If it's transparency and linearity, there's the op amp based ones like the micro amp.
This one is essentially in the latter category, but to save production costs, the op amp is built with just a few transistors. They've most likely saved 10 cents on the BOM cost that way. If you put out 100.000 pedals, that's a big saving right there ;)
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

Reachahighernoon
Breadboard Brother
Information

grrrunge wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 23:20
Reachahighernoon wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 10:32 Can someone explain to me, please, why is this circuit so overbuilt?
Well. Essentially, it isn't. If it's simplicity you're after, you have the one transistor designs: SHO, LPB1 etc. If it's transparency and linearity, there's the op amp based ones like the micro amp.
This one is essentially in the latter category, but to save production costs, the op amp is built with just a few transistors. They've most likely saved 10 cents on the BOM cost that way. If you put out 100.000 pedals, that's a big saving right there ;)
Oh! So it's a discreate opamp design!? Like the Boss Blues Driver?

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Reachahighernoon wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 16:36
Indeed so. The entire circuit is one discrete op-amp - fully class-a.
---

Reachahighernoon
Breadboard Brother
Information

grrrunge wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 12:13
So the only reason for this is cost saving?

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Reachahighernoon wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 04:58
grrrunge wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 12:13
So the only reason for this is cost saving?
The only practical reason as far as I see it. The fact that it can also be marketed as pure class-a ie. no crossover distortion etc. might also have something to say.
---

Reachahighernoon
Breadboard Brother
Information

grrrunge wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 05:03

The only practical reason as far as I see it. The fact that it can also be marketed as pure class-a ie. no crossover distortion etc. might also have something to say.
But cant you an opamp class A? I think I saw schems of that....

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Reachahighernoon wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 06:21
grrrunge wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 05:03

But cant you an opamp class A? I think I saw schems of that....
Since all of the transistors are biased on all the time, this circuit is by textbook definition class-a all the way through.
There are integrated class-a op-amps available, but again; the cost saving of using 5 transistors instead of a somewhat exotic IC is significant.
---

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Does this circuit need changes, if a symmetrical supply with two batteries ( +/- 9V) is used? Except for the obvious (remove voltage divider...)

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

roseblood11 wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 06:30 Does this circuit need changes, if a symmetrical supply with two batteries ( +/- 9V) is used? Except for the obvious (remove voltage divider...)
- Tie R14, R8, R11 and emitter of T3 to the negative supply voltage instead of GND.
- Remove C5 and tie R10 directly to GND
Everything else stays the same. Enjoy your increased headroom :)

Alternatively you can just feed the circuit 18V. The end result is the same.
DC performance of this circuit is less than admirable. I wouldn't use it in DC coupled applications, if that's what You're after.
---

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

roseblood11 wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 06:30 Except for the obvious
:hug: thx