Ibanez - TL-5 Tremolo  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Off you go:
Ibanez TL5 tremolo
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

:thumbsup Great as always....thank you mister Dirk

Boris

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

I'm a little confused by the datasheet for the 6110; the diagrams look like a transconductance thing but it says "voltage controlled op-amp"..?
Testing, testing, won too fwee

fuzzca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fuzzca »

I'd like to rehouse my TL5. Better enlosure/pots & 3PDT switch.

Referencing Dirks schematic: Am I correct in thinking that if I pulled Q1&Q2 (2SK118-0) and jumpered the respective gate and drain points I would bypass the original Ibanez factory switching?

Any help appreciated!

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

a) better pots... but you do not have a problem now. Define better.
b) better housing. But the one it has now is fine. Define better.
c) 3pdt.. so you want to TB it!
d), contains a) to c): Is there a soundproblem or are you just following hype without proper foundation?
e) The TL5 and EM5 are the only soundtanks that have some collectors value. Leave em intact.
f) No. you're wrong

g) You might have guessed by the tone above already.

PLEASE!
Leave that poor soundtank alone!!![/color]

Serious,
All improvements you propose are changes but will give you little improvement sonically.

fuzzca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fuzzca »

Wow Dirk! I think I know where you are coming from...Just so you understand, I am wearing my "Save the Soundtanks" T-shirt. I like them too!

I use a TL-5 on my main board and it gets used often with one band I play in. I`ve wanted to do this rehouse for quite some time. I have reasons that I think are valid for the rehouse.

1)My TL5 is placed in the second row of my pedalboard. That`s basically where it has to go. It is difficult to stomp on/off between choruses/verses etc. as it sits low. I have it on a makeshift riser that corrects this but it is the weakest part of my pedal board design. (Everything else is screwed down solid and industrial strength...) I have a Hammond enclosure that is 2 1/2 inches high that will solve this problem.

2) The switch, as you know is "pretty good" if you maintain it with Deoxit but it flakes out and always requires one to look and confirm that it has done what you expected. That`s a distraction. It`s just one more thing when shifting song parts back and forth. You know... change pickup selector on guitar, disengage dirt pedal, engage TL5, sing backup vocal...I`m not saying that 3PDT`s are god`s gift to stompboxes but so far I`ve only had one disappoint on me over the years. It would be nice to just hit the switch and play on.

3)I`d like to try a different tapered `rate` pot or at least try some things there. The stock pot `bunches up` the speed at the far end of the rotation. I`d like to get that easier to dial in the tempo. Perhaps even with a larger knob I could dial it in with my foot.

4) So, I appreciate your input and truly respect your awesome knowledge and even your `conservation` Soundtank aesthetic but in the end I just want to have a pedal that I think sounds great and works the way I hope it will for me when performing.

Is that so crazy...

Cheers,
Fuzzca

PS: I think that the EM5 is brilliant. Have you tried lowering the power input volts....It`s very cool.

fuzzca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fuzzca »

So, back on topic ...if I nuked the R41 to Q1 leg and jumpered Q1 G & D would that pass an all on signal...

All help appreciated.
Cheers,
Fuzzca

fuzzca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fuzzca »

Maybe this should be moved to the "pimp my pedal" section on FSB. ?

I have searched high and low on the internet for a definitive Ibanez TB switching guide (Boss too?) and there is absolutely nothing definitive to help one make this happen?
I know i am just a beggar with some soldering skills but people hand out great and useful advice, it would be pretty cool for someone to crack the nut so to speak...

Begging off,
F

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Just bought one second hand for extra cheap. Found an ugly repair(?) in it (forgot to ask the seller :slap: ). Someone did try to remove C19 and took off pads with it... :roll: There were two black wires (1cm and 7cm!) running from the cap lugs to the next solder pad... Did lightly scratch the protecting coat and soldered it in place straight on tracks. Not beautiful, but efficient and no extra stuff.

Some guts for reference:
TL-5 - Component side
TL-5 - Component side
IMG_4550.JPG (69.11 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
TL-5 - Track side
TL-5 - Track side
IMG_4551.JPG (68.4 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

fix that cap in place as well with some glue or epoxy. (I hate to say it but some goop is allowed here ) :mrgreen:

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:fix that cap in place as well with some glue or epoxy.
It's quite firmly pushed in place actually, and I thought tracks would not suffer any strain since the cap is quite "alone" on the PCB.

But I'll have a go at your tip, wishing that it will resist even if it stands straight up (I can't bend it down).. :wink:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

fuzzca wrote:Maybe this should be moved to the "pimp my pedal" section on FSB. ?

I have searched high and low on the internet for a definitive Ibanez TB switching guide (Boss too?) and there is absolutely nothing definitive to help one make this happen?
I know i am just a beggar with some soldering skills but people hand out great and useful advice, it would be pretty cool for someone to crack the nut so to speak...

Begging off,
F
I think your dream has come true. RG has posted a "technology of..." article on ibanez and boss switching on geofex.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

fuzzca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fuzzca »

Sweet! Thx for the heads up RNFR.

Big thanks to R.G.! (For the umpteenth time...)

onemanband
Information

Post by onemanband »

Please help! I have an Ibanez Tremolo which is useless to me if it won't power up in the on mode. My pedals are in a rack, I use midi switching. I have searched the internet and this is the only thread that mentions this always on mode. But I still don't know how to do it. I have just wasted money buying new tiny tremolo pedals that sound like crap and would really like to use my Ibanez soundtank. Please help. thanks!

onemanband
Information

Post by onemanband »

Never mind, I'm just going to reach into the rack and hit the on off button 5 or 6 times till it comes on when ever I need to use Tremolo, I give up.