Radial - Bigshot PB1 Class A Power Booster  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

This is a buffer / power booster that really sounds good. There is a mistake on the PCB with the labeling of the gain and drag pots. They are labeled backwards but I have labeled them properly on the photo showing the component values. Any questions just ask. Here is the write up from their web site:

"The Radial BigShot PB1 is a combination power booster and buffer designed to provide exceptional sonic performance for pedalboard users in a compact and simple package. It provides 15dB of boost, accessed using a guitar pick via a rear-mounted recessed control that is protected from foot stomp damage.
Unlike class-B preamps found in most pedals that color the tone and give buffers a bad name, the BigShot PB1 features 100% discreet class-A circuit topology for the utmost in sound quality. Class-A circuits are preferred due to reduced zero cross distortion, improved phase response and the resulting smooth Bessel curve of evenly cascading harmonics. This is augmented with Drag™ control, a variable load correction circuit that lets you dial in the perfect impedance to match the original tone and feel of your guitar and amp combination.

With the PB1, noise is reduced while performance is augmented. Long cable runs are finally possible. And when you hit the boost, you get smooth clean control like you never thought possible. The BigShot PB1 is likely the finest guitar power booster ever made."
Attachments
1.1.jpg
2.1.jpg
3.1.jpg
4.1.jpg
5.1.jpg
6.1.jpg
7.1.jpg

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Thanks for the guts.
Radial wrote: The BigShot PB1 is likely the finest guitar power booster ever made.
Sales lies.... I highly doubt that when they use a 78L08 with 9VDC supply voltage (to less for the droput voltage).

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

presume the schematic will shed light on this ,m
is it great

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

I'm thinking the 78L08 might be for over voltage protection. Radial has some pedals that use 12 and 15 volt adaptors although if it were designed properly those voltages shouldn't be a problem anyway. Anyway it is a really nice sounding booster.

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

I started tracing this today. Don't have too much time to spend on it but hopefully I will have a preliminary schematic in a few days. So far there is some weirdness going on...

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

Here is a hand drawn schematic. It came together quicker than I thought it would. I have checked it over many times so I hope it is correct. I will cad it up at a later date. If someone wants to re-draw it go ahead. This is a strange circuit to me or maybe it is just the way I drew it. It is definately different than the usual buffer/booster pedals I have seen.
Attachments
Bigshot PB1.jpg

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

OK, I don't get it. How is the jfet being biased. I see no DC path to the jfet other than through Q5 (2n5087). Are Q4 and Q5 some kind of weird darlington arrangement? Also the booster section is hard to figure out. I checked my trace over again and couldn't find any mistakes but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I'm wondering if AG or Baga or someone could explain this circuit?

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

did you check the datasheet for the fet? it looks as if it would make more sense if the drain and source were flipped. then you would have something similar to a complementary feedback amplifier. it seems to me that the drag pot controls the bias. the second stage looks similar to some push/pull output stages I've seen. not exactly sure there, though.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

ya I thought the same thing with the PN4393 source and drain. the data sheet says it is DSG looking at it from the front (flat side) with the pins facing down. so if that is the case i think i have it correct. as soon as i get time i will check the whole circuit over again. i have already done so a half dozen times already and found a few small errors but haven't been able to find any more.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

looking at this some more I'm starting to really think that is the case. different manufacturers have been known to put different pinouts for the same device. I think the bs170 suffers from this. if it was flipped it would look a hell of a lot like a comp f/b pair.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

Interesting they use dual pots while the schematic doesn't require them....

possibly duals for mechanical reasons ?

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

Q2,Q3,Q1 are a discrete op-amp.

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

Ripdivot wrote:Are Q4 and Q5 some kind of weird darlington arrangement?
They form another two transistor combination, the so called Complimentary Feedback Pair, a.k.a. Sziklai, more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complemen ... dback_pair (doesn't matter one of them here is a FET iso BJT as shown in the wiki-page)

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

Oops, Complementary Feedback Pair, not Complimentary Feedback Pair... ;-)

Supergalagonya
Information

Post by Supergalagonya »

Has anybody built this buffer?