Proel - DS10 Distorsion  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
EdJ
Information

Post by EdJ »

Hi,
i searched the web but am unable to find a schematic for the Proel DS10.
Not the most sought after effect but i like it a lot and would like to build a few and see if i can tweak it .
A schematic would be a big help.
Attatched are a few gutshots.

Thanks in advance,Ed
Attachments
Afb0047.jpg
Afb0050.jpg

MarcoMike
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MarcoMike »

I just took a quick look at it, but it has all the elements to be "tubescreamer inspired"....

EdJ
Information

Post by EdJ »

I guess it does.
To be honest,i bought it just for the box.
It lookes really italian :) .
I had a tubescreamer board ready to be boxed so at 14 euro this one seemed right but when i plugged it in..Wow!
Have been playing with it for a few months now and don`t want to part with it.
I could just take it apart and drill a few boards from the original,draw the lines and etch them but i am afraid to make a mistake and lose it all..
It has a really nice SRV like tone,a nice loose and bluesy feel.
It ís noisy though and the highs a bit shrill and it`s volume is not very high.
I would really like to see what it does with different ic`s and different diodes.Different caps in the tone section.
Just a few variations really and keep the original as it is.

EdJ
Information

Post by EdJ »

Ahhh,stupid :oops:
I thouht i posted this in the requests.
Is it possible to move this post to the requests?

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

EdJ wrote:I thouht i posted this in the requests.
Is it possible to move this post to the requests?
Considering the guts, it's standing in the good subforum... Now feel free to make a proper request in the Request folder to get a schemo. Though some RE shoud be quite easy on this...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

atombox
Information

Post by atombox »

I picked one up on the local e-market for 10 euro last week and decided to trace it, hoping that it would be similar to the Lovepedal Eternity, the legendary stripped-down tubescreamer. Unfortunately it seems that the DS10 too different to easily convert to a Eternity.

ps: don't burn me if there are mistakes in the schem, it's my first trace :)
Attachments
Proel Blues Distortion Schematic.bmp
Proel Blues Distortion Schematic.bmp (385.06 KiB) Viewed 4787 times

EdJ
Information

Post by EdJ »

Just curious but how do you like it?
I keep it on most of the time...

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

Should the 4n7 off the 4k7 in the feedback loop be a 47n?

Also, does the 1k5 on the output connect to the end of the 3k9 or does it connect directly to the pin 7 of the opamp?

atombox
Information

Post by atombox »

EdJ wrote:Just curious but how do you like it?
I keep it on most of the time...
To be honest I'm not sure yet how I like it. I have a practice amp at home with an 8 inch speaker on which all overdrives sound equally poor :wink: . I took it to the rehearsel room last weekend to find out that the DC input is positive tip... I'll take a positive tip supply with me next weekend and I'll let you know.

atombox
Information

Post by atombox »

Chugs wrote:Should the 4n7 off the 4k7 in the feedback loop be a 47n?

Also, does the 1k5 on the output connect to the end of the 3k9 or does it connect directly to the pin 7 of the opamp?
I double checked and both the 4n7 and the way the 3k9 resistors are wired seem to be correct in the schem.

EdJ
Information

Post by EdJ »

If you look at the first photo you see the 4n7 cap clearly.
I guess on a ss practice amp it will sound horrible.
On a descent tube amp it sounds great imho.
It has a very loose bluesy feeling when you hit it hard.
Very nice imho.

atombox
Information

Post by atombox »

I tried it out this weekend and I was kinda surprised by how much it resembles my Keeley-specced tubescreamer. With the exception of it having a lot less gain, about 25% of the TS, and the volume doesn't go above unity gain. It lacks a bit of bass response for my taste, but I just like to have a lot of bass in my sound, a lot more than most guitarists I know. All in all I think for the price this is a very good pedal, but the fact that it can't give a volume boost makes it unusable for me. I might modify it one day, but if I would I think I would just replace the print for a tubescreamer.

EdJ
Information

Post by EdJ »

Well you can try to change the input cap from 22n to 47n or even 100n for more bass of course.

fuzzlab
Information

Post by fuzzlab »

atombox wrote: All in all I think for the price this is a very good pedal, but the fact that it can't give a volume boost makes it unusable for me. I might modify it one day, but if I would I think I would just replace the print for a tubescreamer.
Hi. The last opamp has no gain. If you change the last 3K9 resistor (connected to the pin 7 of this opamp) for a 47K you will be surprised what a lot of volume you will achive. Try it, is just a resistor (my two cents...)

EdJ
Information

Post by EdJ »

I am going to do that tonight.
Thank you!

fuzzlab
Information

Post by fuzzlab »

From what I see in the tracks pic, the circuit has been modded (maybe in the factory) with the two last 3K9 resistors. They put it in order to increment the gain a little (from gain =1 to gain= 2). But the output resistor 1K5 has not been modded and it remains connected wrongly to the pin 6 . It must be connected to pin 7. So, for a good boost to the level:
1. Change the 3K9 resistor connected to pin 7 for a 47 K.
2. Desolder or cut the jump that is connected between 1k5 and pin 6. (labeled P3 in the pic)
3. Make a jump between 1K5 and pin 7 (with a little cable in the track side)
4. Have fun.

EdJ
Information

Post by EdJ »

I`ll put a socket in so i can expitiment(and have fun)with some different opamps while i`m at it.
Many thanks for the suggestions!
I guess all this thing needs to be a great device is a little more gain.
The way i like the distortion best,it is softer than the straight signal.
It seems like it was an afterthought from the factory indeed to put the resistors in this way,otherwise they would put them on the pcb itself(i guess).

greetings,Ed

59Bassman
Information

Post by 59Bassman »

I have had my PROEL DS10 (ebay from Italy ~£24) for 4 years nearly and is my 'magic' pedal!

I don't use it for distortion (but its 'clean boost sounds very good with a clean - amp -espesh for tweed tones) moreover, its exceptional EQ allows this pedal to clean-up other pedals and dirty/noisy circuits and it even makes my Tweed Deluxe sound like it has a Celestion Blue instead of a vintage-toned Jensen C12Q. It lasts well on Battery power and is robust. It can even sit in front of a dodgy guitar cable and take out the hiss piss and pop you get into the amp... Dial back the distortion and you get crystaline articulation and no coloration of your guitar tone - is truly a miracle find. Demo here:

EdJ
Information

Post by EdJ »

I like it a lot too.

sammyxpxp
Information

Post by sammyxpxp »

Hello.

I bought a Proel DS10 Distortion pedal and it's not working, not sure if it is modded. I'll post some pictures can anyone be kind enough to show me some light?

Is the wiring of this pedal correct?

http://ppt.cc/8ufh

http://ppt.cc/pQAu

http://ppt.cc/k78t

The Jack and Switch design seems to be complex. Does anyone know if this is a true bypass or buffer bypass or something?

Thank you.