AMT Electronics - Tube Magnum

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.

Re: AMT Tube Magnum

Postby mookakian » 08 Nov 2011, 01:08

HI everyone, new Aussie member here, how are we all, rockin the sunshine? 8) Great forum you have here!

So i picked up one of these little box's and waiting for it to arrive in the mail, so through research i stumbled upon this thread. I have a question if its ok, i'm pretty limited on tube based knowledge, i know a little though that voltage stuff is all new to me.

Can anyone describe in lamens terms what you are talking about when it comes to the 9V/300V subject? Not sure what any of this means really but would love to learn:) If you have the time feel free to school this grasshopper. Is it another option you can switch to, the general idea behind the pedal and tone wise, what is the score?

Sorry, i am very curious, looking forward to plugging into the Spider-valve MK1 HD-100 for a little warmth, also grabbed the AMT EQ7 while i were there, good times comming in the post right now, :blackeye

Tim Mason
mookakian

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby mookakian » 09 Nov 2011, 01:55

Guess ill have to go in blind
mookakian

Postby Greg » 09 Nov 2011, 02:58

mookakian wrote:HI everyone, new Aussie member here, how are we all, rockin the sunshine? 8) Great forum you have here!

So i picked up one of these little box's and waiting for it to arrive in the mail, so through research i stumbled upon this thread. I have a question if its ok, i'm pretty limited on tube based knowledge, i know a little though that voltage stuff is all new to me.

Can anyone describe in lamens terms what you are talking about when it comes to the 9V/300V subject? Not sure what any of this means really but would love to learn:) If you have the time feel free to school this grasshopper. Is it another option you can switch to, the general idea behind the pedal and tone wise, what is the score?

Sorry, i am very curious, looking forward to plugging into the Spider-valve MK1 HD-100 for a little warmth, also grabbed the AMT EQ7 while i were there, good times comming in the post right now, :blackeye

Tim Mason

Tim
I'm not sure I understand your question, and I'm guessing that's why you haven't had a reply.
The Tube Magnum runs on 9 volts, but it bumps that up internally to around 300 volts as part of it's design and normal operation.
There's nothing to switch... just plug in and crank it up.

It's a fairly complex design so I suggest you don't "go in" without a plan.
:thumbsup
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.
Greg
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 195 times

Postby mookakian » 09 Nov 2011, 07:38

Hi :)

Thankyou for replying.

I must have read too far into an above comment, i am always digging to understand my gear, prob too much but im just interested plus it helps when tweaking the box to know how it works, for me anyhow :D

Very keen to give it a shot, i have tried a few AMT pedals and they are not half bad :mrgreen: I have the EQ7 comming too so i can run it in a loop and shape if needed, gotta give it the full test run i guess :lol:

Again thanks for the reply :thumbsup
mookakian

Postby Ice-9 » 06 Feb 2013, 18:03

mookakian wrote:HI everyone, new Aussie member here, how are we all, rockin the sunshine? 8) Great forum you have here!

Tim Mason

This pedal like many others uses an internal voltage on the plate of the valve, the internal SMPS circuit giving out apprx 300v from a 9v AC power in. SMPS=Switched Mode Power Supply. Do a google search for "Nixie PSU schematic" and that will show you a psu schematic for the 9v to 300v step up PSU.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?
Ice-9
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 357 times

Re: AMT Electronics - Tube Magnum

Postby iznogoud » 21 Nov 2015, 01:52

Tonetweaker, could you re-post your pics?
All have disappeared :thumbsdown

For this message the author iznogoud has received thanks:
modman (23 Nov 2015, 21:49)
iznogoud
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 26 times

Previous

Return to Modern Stompbox Effects (1975 - ...)