Joyo - JF-39 Deluxe Crunch

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
decora
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by decora »

Picked this up last week, have not played much with it unfortunately. More than enough gain but i find that i'm wanting more from the Pre and Tone. This sounds more open than Joyo's Crunch (crunch more compressed to my ears). I stack overdrive pedals in front of it to make it tighter. Cracked it open today and took some gutshots for everyone. Cheers!

Vol - A10K, Dist - B100K, Presence B20K, Tone C10K.

i'm using Picasa, if photos doesnt show up, i'll try and get a different hosting.

decora
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by decora »

photos...

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Ah, LEDs for clipping diodes.
Thanks for sharing!
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Buzz Crumhunger
Information

Post by Buzz Crumhunger »

So, should I be not at all surprised that the PCB says "Joyo DLS" right on it? Anyone hear both of enough pedals (or know the schematic well enough) to assert that this is a copy/clone of the Catalinbread DLS?

Just curious...

Thanks!

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 1000 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

Buzz Crumhunger wrote:So, should I be not at all surprised that the PCB says "Joyo DLS" right on it? Anyone hear both of enough pedals (or know the schematic well enough) to assert that this is a copy/clone of the Catalinbread DLS?

Just curious...

Thanks!
Umm.. DLS is made of six JFETs and here we have one JRC4580. So no. It's nothing even remotely close to Catalinbread DLS.
+m
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

An older version of MI Audios Crunch box? The pot values and circuit simplicity seem right as far as i remember.
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

Desdog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Desdog »

MI Audio Crunch Box uses this opamp: LM833
Joyo Deluxe Crunch uses the compatible 4580:
You could put this next to the gutshot:
deluxecrunch.png
deluxecrunch.png (153.76 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
and compare to the Mi Audio Crunch box schematic:
crunchboxshemo.png
crunchboxshemo.png (15.32 KiB) Viewed 3804 times

Rogerio
Information

Post by Rogerio »

Hi,

I am a beginner, and I have this pedal. I love its sound, but it's too much gainy for me, so I want to reduce gain and move it into the overdrive area. I want to ask this forum what mod to do, taking into account it will be difficult to change a small component. Perhaps to change the Gain pot to another value? Or the type of pot. I know Super Crunch Box has a low gain switch...it could be applied to this pedal? It may be a clipping section components change?

Thanks in advance.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Rogerio wrote:Hi,

I am a beginner, and I have this pedal. I love its sound, but it's too much gainy for me, so I want to reduce gain and move it into the overdrive area. I want to ask this forum what mod to do, taking into account it will be difficult to change a small component. Perhaps to change the Gain pot to another value? Or the type of pot. I know Super Crunch Box has a low gain switch...it could be applied to this pedal? It may be a clipping section components change?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
We don't have a schematic of this pedal available and even lost the gutshots because they were hosted on photobucket. If you can provide good quality gut shots of this pedal, other may be able to help out. We do have the schematic for the Joyo Crunch Distortion here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17055&p=188698&#p188698
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Rogerio
Information

Post by Rogerio »

Hi, it’s me almost 2 years later and with the same fixed idea: I like the Crunch Box sound, but it delivers too much gain for me, so I’m trying to transform it into an overdrive. Anyone knows something about the hi/lo gain switch of the Super Crunch Box? I have built a crunch box in a breadboard and now it’s easy to test some mods. But I haven’t found any schematic of a Super Crunch Box.

Thanks!!

Roger

lenwood
Information

Post by lenwood »

Rogerio wrote:Hi, it’s me almost 2 years later and with the same fixed idea: I like the Crunch Box sound, but it delivers too much gain for me, so I’m trying to transform it into an overdrive. Anyone knows something about the hi/lo gain switch of the Super Crunch Box? I have built a crunch box in a breadboard and now it’s easy to test some mods. But I haven’t found any schematic of a Super Crunch Box.

Thanks!!

Roger
Hi Roger, why not try a 100k resistor across the gain pot and see? That would reduce the pot to 50k. Just a thought....