EHX - English Muffin  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

borislavgajic wrote:can someone please help with anode and cathode resistor values?

thanks

boris
For the 1st stage:
anode: 110K
Cathode: 845

For the 2nd stage:
anode: 162K
Cathode: 3.3K

For the 3rd stage:
anode: 162K
Cathode: 3.3K

For the 4th stage:
anode: n/a
Cathode: 110K
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

borislavgajic wrote::block: boxing is almost complete........now to electronic....I am making it point to point.......more in a fiew days :thumbsup
cheers
boris
boris that looks awesome! very sci fi! i dig it.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

John_5
Information

Post by John_5 »

Hey Boris,

when you are done, you can compare your findings to the factory schematic below. :wink:

It's a very neat design I think, could be transformed into a 2203 type preamp for sure... but why? :)

Some concerns:
1. The output impedance is rather high. A Buffer could help, but the only problem would be cable capacitance. But given the amount of high freq content this pedal can spit out... (see concern #3)
2. The RIDICULOUS power plug type and placement! How many of those had to be repared? How many players ditched the pedal because of that? :slap:
3. Doesn't play well with a Spector Bass with EMG pickups. Input is high and too trebly. Generates a nasty, spluttery artifact in the upper range, that really hurts your ears when playing with headphones on. I guess plugging a passive instrument is the way to go here. And playing through a real speaker! :D

Cheers,
Jan

(hope the uploading works - worked :applause: )
Last edited by modman on 18 Jul 2009, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: removed attachment, copyrighted material, I'm sorry

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

borislavgajic wrote::block: boxing is almost complete........now to electronic....I am making it point to point.......more in a fiew days :thumbsup
cheers
boris

You should steampunk that.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

theehman wrote:
cheers
boris

You should steampunk that.
yes.....and play it with guitar like this....
http://www.hollergram.net/wp-content/up ... itar_1.jpg
:thumbsup :thumbsup

thank to you all....for helping

boris

mistermikev
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: deville 4x10
Completed builds: -modded big muff (russian) w 6way rotary selecting clipping dioes/emitter lift/true bypass/new pots.
-modded ts8 with diodes, 4558chip, 10k/100ohm resistors
-byoc analog chorus-built a two true bypass loop/order switch
-tube crusher = tube screamer + orange squeezer
-booster
-nurse quacky
etc

Post by mistermikev »

I'll say this: I have one and I really like it. I've compared it to my hafler t3 and it's a winner IMO. I wasn't expecting a marshal when I bought it so that may have something to do with why I like it so much.

If u r still wanting guts LMK I'll check back in a few days and perhaps I'll yank it apart.
I have all the parts on the board populated... so all the real work is done... now I just have to get it working.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

If u r still wanting guts LMK I'll check back in a few days and perhaps I'll yank it apart.
great.... :applause: ....be carefull :block:

boris

mistermikev
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: -modded big muff (russian) w 6way rotary selecting clipping dioes/emitter lift/true bypass/new pots.
-booster
-nurse quacky
etc

Post by mistermikev »

thanks, and good point. I do realize this guy is high voltage... but I wasn't exactly planning on doing much more than removing the back and shooting a pic... would that even be helpful?

Am I accurate in thinking that if I were to go further I would simply want to avoid bridging any large caps right?

I have all the parts on the board populated... so all the real work is done... now I just have to get it working.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Am I accurate in thinking that if I were to go further I would simply want to avoid bridging any large caps right?
you are right......better way is to play your guitar with Muffin,and just disconnect power ,and keep playing untill there is no sound at all...that will discharge those big electrolytic caps....... :block:
if I were to go further
if you were, there is not much more to do... :wink: :oops: ....take off pot caps,unscrew all pots,jacks and switch(and one screw on pcb).......that should be all........(take out tubes first),and be careful not to scratch box :D

....and wow ..mistermikev....THANKS FOR THE PICTURES :thumbsup

boris

mistermikev
Breadboard Brother
Information
-booster
-nurse quacky
etc

Post by mistermikev »

hmm, that's a great idea (play gtr and unplug the power).

looks like the main board will come out w/o removing pots... so just two screws and the input/output jack and voilla.

I'll try to go this final step in the next cpl of days...

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

mistermikev wrote:hmm, that's a great idea (play gtr and unplug the power).

looks like the main board will come out w/o removing pots... so just two screws and the input/output jack and voilla.

I'll try to go this final step in the next cpl of days...
.....hmmmmm ..I think you'll have to unscrew SW and jacks....about screw between tubes ...is it for voltage regulator fixation? :hmmm: ........

thank you for doing all this.. :thumbsup
cheers

boris

mistermikev
Breadboard Brother
Information
-booster
-nurse quacky
etc

Post by mistermikev »

save the applause till after folks (jk)

haven't forgot... just haven't gotten to it... stay tuned... top view of the board is coming soon.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

and it is done.... :twisted:

clone of EnglishMuffin is ready to go........sound is very nice (like it more with humbackers)......sound samples soon.....

cheers

boris
Attachments
muffin 003.jpg
muffin 002.jpg
muffin 001.jpg

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

samples

http://www.box.net/shared/btph0sattn
http://www.box.net/shared/jbnm6xej4f
http://www.box.net/shared/rxzajn31e6

strat...single coils......I prefer it with double couls.....hmmmmmmm

cheers
boris

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

Very nice build Boris! :thumbsup

It reminds me of old TOS Kirk and Spock gear. :lol:

Very retro. :applause:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I love how you do your boxes, Boris! :D
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

soulsonic wrote:I love how you do your boxes, Boris! :D
thank you himister..... :thumbsup
thank you very much Martin.....it is a big compliment :)

boris

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I just adore anything Boris builds. This looks like a futuristic military tank with tube titties! ;-) It just has to be BIG BERTHA... How do you avoid drunken bass players from stepping on those tit...er I mean tubes?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

modman wrote:I just adore anything Boris builds. This looks like a futuristic military tank with tube titties! ;-) It just has to be BIG BERTHA... How do you avoid drunken bass players from stepping on those tit...er I mean tubes?

:P .....oh man....... :applause: ...modman :thumbsup ...thank you........I'm going to putt perforated bumper to protect those..."titties".....hot hot boobs....

and for bass players I recomend this wall.........

http://www.inquisitr.com/31313/ninja-ga ... ith-boobs/

boris

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg V4!!!!

Post by Liquids »

OH man, I have been wanting to expiriment with a tube based pedal at high voltage but shied away from the difficulty of the transformer issue...I thought if I could find one to mod it might be better...

The EH stuff seemed intriguing but the Hot tubes seems to have a funky setup, the Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket looked good but hard/expensive to find, the Duncan stuff availabut but unusual in tubes and circuitry....

This one looks perfect - a completely bog-standard 3 stage tube preamp with a cathode follower driven tone stack. Can find them used for under $150! A modders paradise to simply tinker with values! Some of the values do seem odd and it's unknown why you'd want such a mid-scooped amp-type EQ going into an presumably already mid-scooped amp...but easily moded.

Questions
1) what kind of voltage is on the grids of the tubes? I know the cathodes see low voltages, but I want to find out what wattage rating I'd need, to know what I'd need to order in key points in the circuit rather than the 1/4W resistors and pots I've got an abundance of. I'm assuming that I need bigger voltage/wattage ratings for resistors on the plate and coupling caps.

2) Boris, what transformer did you use? Just out of curiosity - I've seen that hoffman amps offers the same type transformer, and know that allied and weber offer larger sized version with similar voltages.