EHX - Wiggler  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

borislavgajic wrote:I want to make new better layout for wiggler( or the original is best possible???)........
Wether the original is "the best" is one discussion. Therefore define "better" . There's certainly nothing incredibly "wrong" with the way EH layouted this thing.

Right now I think about the recent Maestro parametric filter thread where "impovements" were brought up before having even tried the original. The between-the-lines reading suggested more of a "I-think-this-is-difficult-let's-make-it-easier" attitude.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

nelson
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nelson »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
borislavgajic wrote:I want to make new better layout for wiggler( or the original is best possible???)........
Wether the original is "the best" is one discussion. Therefore define "better" . There's certainly nothing incredibly "wrong" with the way EH layouted this thing.

Right now I think about the recent Maestro parametric filter thread where "impovements" were brought up before having even tried the original. The between-the-lines reading suggested more of a "I-think-this-is-difficult-let's-make-it-easier" attitude.

That's a funny interpretation of my suggestions.

I just really don't like rotary switches. Since the original settings were meant to be changeable by foot I thought it a better Idea to replace the DP5T rotary with multiple CD4066, a CD4017 and a footswitch to make the settings foot scrollable. That's *hardly* a "I-think-this-is-difficult-lets-make-it-easier" attitude. It is a "how can I make this footswitchable and get rid of the rotary switch" attitude. The other mods were suggestions on changing the unit to make it more flexible. Again, hardly a simplification to make it easier. I think the original unit is a bit of a simplification of a standard parametric EQ. As it only allows Q presets.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Therefore define "better"
better.......to reduce thumping noise(some owners of wiggler reported that as problem)
.....and I think :arrow: input trace is too long,and it could pick up some interference from LED2(and lfo).....also secound(piggyback) PCB and mainPCB are connected with 10 wires (close to each other,and close to tube circuit)........

....also other (LFO) controls,and it is not shilded wire used for audio path.....

:thumbsup those are things I would change...

....so please comment and correct me....thanks

boris

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

...and one more little thing .....

trace to pin 3 of IC is placed between pins 4 and 5......while it could easy be placed around resistors r39 and r40 ...............then it would not be so thin....

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

The schematic contained a small error: a missing resistor (R19). The schematic has been corrected. The link is the same; just refresh your browser to see the updated image.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

forgive me ,but I like to draw by hand.... :D

many THANKS to soulsonic

boris

:thumbsup long live freestompboxes!!!
Attachments
components.jpg
Wiggler.jpg
copperside.jpg
piggyback.jpg

toneman
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything that works
Completed builds: meatolation, wobolation, ringolation clones, PAiA synths/modulars, dipthonizer clone, MOTM modules, pedal mods and repairs

Post by toneman »

NICE work guys !! :applause:

a TUBE tremelo. Who woulda' thunk :?:

SURF Music is NOT dead :!:

8)
Tone-to-the-Bone

Ricotjuh
Information

Post by Ricotjuh »

Can somebody tell me what kind of "lamp" that thing is under the tubes? I can't find the reason of this lamp.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

If I understand correct......lamp is for making ilusion of glowing tubes....... :wink:

borislav

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Yes, it just lights up the inside of the box and makes it look like the tubes are glowing very brightly (even though a 12AX7 doesn't glow brightly at all...).
I believe that Mr. Barmentloo actually holds a patent on the design of lighting tubes from underneath with colored LEDs to give them a more exciting appearance.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

xaxxop
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Gallien Krueger 400RB
Completed builds: DIY: Boss ce-2, EH big muff, MXR microamp, DOD FX25, Stingray Preamp

Post by xaxxop »

:shock: :applause:
Leandro

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

a more exciting appearance...
more and more and more :arrow: exciting

:slap:

....or just say :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: pure pure

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

soulsonic wrote:I believe that Mr. Barmentloo actually holds a patent on the design of lighting tubes from underneath with colored LEDs to give them a more exciting appearance.
Hey, this must be reported to Mr. Barmentlooo.... because Behringer is doing the "trick" with LED´s since more than one decade.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Ricotjuh
Information

Post by Ricotjuh »

I've got another question..
In the schematic Pin 6 of U2B is an non-inverting input en Pin 5 an inverting input. But in de Datasheet of an LM234 and at a gut shot at the pcb you can see that Pin 5 is an non-inverting input and Pin 6 is an inverting input. Is this an mistake in de schematic or make I an mistake?

station
Information
my favorite amplifier: Homemade 18 Watt w/ 2xEL84 and tremolo.
Completed builds: Big Muff Pi (mostly violet Ram's head with my own bias and impedence mods)
OCD, BYOC OD-2, GGG Tube Screamer, Red Llama, Dallas Rangemaster, Fuzz Face, SHO, Valvecaster, Bajaman's CX-3, ROG 22/7, ROG Professor Tweed, ROG Tri-Vibe, MXR Dynacomp, Mxr Phase 45, Proco Rat (with clippping mods), EA Tremolo, PT 80 Delay so many more...

Post by station »

Hi from a greenhorn! I love this place - very cool stuff you all are doing here.

I've been looking for a wiggler schematic for a while and I'm so glad you posted it! It's an awesome pedal, you can make some very cools sounds (and also some very bad ones). I play harp through it to try to get a leslie sound, but all the settings sound very bright and brittle even with a nice dark eq for my harp.

Where could I add a simple tone control circuit? I'd love to make one of the settings have the tone control, and leave the rest unaltered.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

....it took some time for me to realize that Wiggler is nothing else but modified Wurlitzer 44 vibrato....slightly modified....one tube in LFO section is substitued with IC based LFO.....and some switching to make it more interesting.......

so no mistery here :thumbsup

http://www.thermionic.info/dorf/Dorf_Th ... ibrato.pdf

boris

jupagblkxten
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jupagblkxten »

heh, nice job boris. :applause: thanks for the link.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

jupagblkxten wrote:heh, nice job boris. :applause: thanks for the link.

you are welcome....and it is a nother year since Mr souLsonic traced this for all of us...

look at the date on schematic.... :block:

members/soulsonic/schematic/E-HTubeWiggler.gif

boris

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

Hi.
As I see from the photos these are single sided PCB's inside or my eyes "are cheated by some spell". :D

Is there a chance for someone to post a scanned copy and sizes of the PCB's???
I'd be willing to redraw it as the original is! :horsey:

Thnx. :thumbsup

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Rodgre wrote:
bajaman wrote:Hey - I looked, but it is missing from my archive too :wink:
Anyone besides that poor sad fool puretube who lurks here got it.
if so PM me too.
Cheers
bajaman
No offense, and pardon me if you were just being ironic (you know how hard it is to tell the tone in people's posts), but didn't that poor sad fool design the thing?
nelson wrote:The guy did design this effect and whatever you think about his attitude to intellectual property he has put *alot* of work into his effects. They are not just standard cookie cutter designs.
borislavgajic wrote:....it took some time for me to realize that Wiggler nothing else but modified Wurlitzer 44 vibrato.[/b]...slightly modified....one tube in LFO section is substitued with IC based LFO.....and some switching to make it more interesting.......

so no mistery here :thumbsup

http://www.thermionic.info/dorf/Dorf_Th ... ibrato.pdf

boris
Ironic, yes?
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...