Earthquaker Devices - Acapulco Gold  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Udonitron
Information

Post by Udonitron »

Crystal, will go do this now and report back.
Thanks again mate.

Udonitron
Information

Post by Udonitron »

Just to be clear, I am connecting vol 1 wire on the pcb to the already grounded v1 tab, correct?
Just making sure as to not ground something that shouldn't be.
I don't doubt you just double checking before powering it up lol.

Udonitron
Information

Post by Udonitron »

Well I picked up a good radio station haha.
As soom as I upped the 1M it just started clipping in a rhythmic pattern, no noise from my guitar.
Everything is properly grounded so no clue what is up...perhaps I should not be trying to make pedals :?

zender
Information

Post by zender »

Starting from the basics and ordered parts for this pedal. It seems straightforward enough, at least the partslist is....

However, a lot of files and pictures in this thread seem to be missing. Does anyone have a good and clear shot of the original print and perhaps of one of their builds? I want to draw things up in eagle and get a nice OSH park pcb. If all goes well, I'll be boulding four of them, three to give away to a few friends.

...But before we're there. Does anyone have a proper schematic or eagle file? One with the added gain-knob obviously :mrgreen:

jwhtn
Information

Post by jwhtn »

Hi, guys.

I threw one of these together on the breadboard and am noticing something funky -- If I've got my guitar volume at 0 or 10, everything seems normal (no sound at 0, glorious 386 drive at 10), but with the vol anywhere in between, I get a gnarly high squeal. You can hear the guitar under the squeal, and the gain seems to be lessened at lower levels -- in other words, it seems like it's doing what you'd expect, except for the nasty squeal that just remains constant regardless of what you're doing with the guitar. The sound is unaffected by the pedal's vol knob, aside from getting louder or quieter.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why it would only do it when the guitar's vol is somewhere in the middle -- something about the vol pot dumping some but not all of the signal to ground? Any ideas?

azerty_guitar
Information

Post by azerty_guitar »

Hello !
I've write the schematic because the first link is offline ;) I share it, Simon

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Hello !
I've write the schematic because the first link is offline ;) I share it, Simon

Hi Simon

Could you attach the schematic in a larger version pease.

teddeeh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teddeeh »

Hello guys i have built 3 of the schematic over at http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... mment-form
And i am getting the same results. Massivly loud and noisey but turns very very fuzzy the high the gain and or volume is turned. Traces and cuts are fine but its the chip im using a lm386 not a true jrc386d. Could this be the culprit??

moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by moltenmetalburn »

I have been experimenting lately with good results but for the life of me can't get the input volume pots to work silently at max input level.

I am currently using a C1M before the 10uf input cap, but have had no change with value swaps as low as 100k.

With the input gain wide open the pedal turns into a radio and adds considerable hiss, at 9.5 or less its silent as expected. Across the forums I've seen a few others complain of the issue but not a single solution.

any ideas or tips anyone? can the input gain pot mod actually work silently?
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"

blackboarcult
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: one that works.

Post by blackboarcult »

Maybe putting a small value resistor (e.g.2k2) between input and lug 3 of gain pot or between lug2 and the 10uF cap would fix it...

moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by moltenmetalburn »

blackboarcult wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 22:40 Maybe putting a small value resistor (e.g.2k2) between input and lug 3 of gain pot or between lug2 and the 10uF cap would fix it...
I’ll give it a try, TY.
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"