MXR - Univibe Expression pedal

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Sebguy
Information

Post by Sebguy »

So ive just gotten into the world of pedal modding and was wondering if its possible to modify an mxr univibe with an expression pedal to control the speed setting?
any help would be appreciated!

FuzzMonkey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Sebguy wrote:So ive just gotten into the world of pedal modding and was wondering if its possible to modify an mxr univibe with an expression pedal to control the speed setting?
any help would be appreciated!
I'm no expert but I'm guessing you'd have to install a switched jack between the speed control pot and the pcb in order to plug in an expression pedal. The problem is finding the space within the enclosure for the extra jack.

EL3KTR0N
Information

Post by EL3KTR0N »

I have a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology...I would do that quite differently...I’d open it up, unsolder the level potentiometer, and replace it with a 1/4” TRS Jack, then, I’d go on eBay & buy like a Moog EP-3 Universal Expression Pedal. I’d choose to do it this way because it’d make it most like the classic UNI-Vox UniVibe from the 1960’s. But it might take a lot more work than that; there’s a chance i’d Have to have a custom printed circuit board made to pull this off and for what that would cost I COULD end up costing, in contrast to the probably 1 to 2-thousand hours I’d have to put into working on it, it’d probably be more cost effective to just buy a Dunlop Rotovibe for like $250-$300
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Moog-EP-3-Univer ... Swl2haLtp7

KevinMitchell
Information
my favorite amplifier: Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: What haven't I built?

Post by KevinMitchell »

EL3KTR0N wrote:I have a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology...
I barely made it out of highschool and can tell you have half clue how to go about this.

Is there a schematic for that pedal around? Knowing how the schematic works would clear things up before we start suggesting ideas.

KevinMitchell
Information

Post by KevinMitchell »

Even a photo of the circuit would be very helpful. We'd have an idea how what could fit into the box.

KevinMitchell
Information

Post by KevinMitchell »

Well now I feel dumb that I didn't notice how long ago this topic was posted. :lol:

I wanted to ask EL3CTR0N he liked apples... Just messin' around.