TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.

TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI  [schematic]

Postby rcustoms » 07 Oct 2016, 04:14

Hi folks ,last week i trace ,a spark booster mini from a friend of mine.just only for learn how is work.
i triple check de values and the schematics.minus the switching system ,is very complicated, and we can put instead , a 3p3t switch.

spark mini.jpg


the layout , parts and pcb

SPARK MINI PCB.jpg



enjoy.
Rcustoms
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)

For this message the author rcustoms has received thanks: 17
alexradium (07 Oct 2016, 06:51), Danch (21 Oct 2016, 12:16), floris (10 Jan 2017, 14:26), Intripped (08 Oct 2016, 14:26), karul (07 Oct 2016, 17:41), lietuvis (07 Oct 2016, 06:02), Manfred (11 Nov 2017, 20:12), nr372 (07 Oct 2016, 06:00), okgb (09 Oct 2016, 03:23), Zokk (07 Oct 2016, 08:46) and 7 more users
User avatar
rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 394
Joined: 01 Oct 2009, 15:12
Location: COLOMBIA
Has thanked: 280 times
Have thanks: 456 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby grrrunge » 07 Oct 2016, 08:52

Yay! :) Discrete op-amps for the win!!! I love seeing this kind of stuff :horsey:
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk
User avatar
grrrunge
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 11:51
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 58 times
Have thanks: 200 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby rtp_burnsville » 08 Oct 2016, 12:10

Thanks for posting, nice job!

Robert

For this message the author rtp_burnsville has received thanks:
rcustoms (08 Oct 2016, 13:08)
rtp_burnsville
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Aug 2015, 13:43
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby bulldozer1984 » 27 Apr 2017, 13:17

Hey guys,

I have experience modding tube amplifiers but not pedals. I would like to turn this into a tube screamer type boost that rolls off some highs and lows.
Where would be the best places in the circuit to do this ?

I would imagine a 22nF (starting point) capacitor would cut some lows and then a 1nF (starting point) capacitor to ground would be a good place to start with the rolling off of the highs but where should I implement them ?

Thanks fellas..
bulldozer1984
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Apr 2017, 13:00
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby newly » 11 Nov 2017, 16:14

What is the sv1 and sv2? And how it is connected between?
newly
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 31 Oct 2009, 10:55
Has thanked: 3 times
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby rcustoms » 11 Nov 2017, 17:55

newly wrote:What is the sv1 and sv2? And how it is connected between?

gain pot conector ,pin 1 to pin 1,pin 2 to pin 2 pin 3 to pin 3,easy
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)
User avatar
rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 394
Joined: 01 Oct 2009, 15:12
Location: COLOMBIA
Has thanked: 280 times
Have thanks: 456 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby bmxguitarsbmx » 12 Nov 2017, 19:16

bulldozer1984 wrote:Hey guys,

I have experience modding tube amplifiers but not pedals. I would like to turn this into a tube screamer type boost that rolls off some highs and lows.
Where would be the best places in the circuit to do this ?

I would imagine a 22nF (starting point) capacitor would cut some lows and then a 1nF (starting point) capacitor to ground would be a good place to start with the rolling off of the highs but where should I implement them ?

Thanks fellas..


Decrease C5 for more low cut, Increase c8 for more high cut. You could also mess with c1 for some bass trimming.
bmxguitarsbmx
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 115
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 22:15
Has thanked: 176 times
Have thanks: 61 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby grrrunge » 12 Nov 2017, 21:58

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:
bulldozer1984 wrote:Hey guys,

I have experience modding tube amplifiers but not pedals. I would like to turn this into a tube screamer type boost that rolls off some highs and lows.
Where would be the best places in the circuit to do this ?

I would imagine a 22nF (starting point) capacitor would cut some lows and then a 1nF (starting point) capacitor to ground would be a good place to start with the rolling off of the highs but where should I implement them ?

Thanks fellas..


Decrease C5 for more low cut, Increase c8 for more high cut. You could also mess with c1 for some bass trimming.


Also: C6 is in charge of the op amps dominant pole compensation. Increasing that capacitance would decrease the gain/bandwidth product of the op amp - thus rolling off high frequencies earlier.
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk
User avatar
grrrunge
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 11:51
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 58 times
Have thanks: 200 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby bmxguitarsbmx » 13 Nov 2017, 23:45

Increasing C6 is a creative idea and should be experimented with. Think of C6 as being part of the open loop gain calculation. If C6 is increased, the feedback mechanism will try to compensate for this. At larger and larger values of C6, you will get greater and greater slew-rate limiting. The amplifier cannot provide the current to charge C6 fast enough. So, creating a frequency response with C6 will be unpredictable. Not that it shouldn't be tried! :)
bmxguitarsbmx
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 115
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 22:15
Has thanked: 176 times
Have thanks: 61 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby grrrunge » 14 Nov 2017, 00:04

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:Increasing C6 is a creative idea and should be experimented with. Think of C6 as being part of the open loop gain calculation. If C6 is increased, the feedback mechanism will try to compensate for this. At larger and larger values of C6, you will get greater and greater slew-rate limiting. The amplifier cannot provide the current to charge C6 fast enough. So, creating a frequency response with C6 will be unpredictable. Not that it shouldn't be tried! :)

Au contraire; shaping the frequency response of an operational amplifier with dominant pole compensation is extremely predictable, which is why it is used practically everywhere.
The slew rate however relates directly to the transient response and then in turn also to the highest possible reproduced frequency given a certain closed loop gain and desired output amplitude :)
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk
User avatar
grrrunge
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 11:51
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 58 times
Have thanks: 200 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby bmxguitarsbmx » 14 Nov 2017, 04:19

It's predictable? What is the formula to predict it? Let's put -3dB @ 1kHz. What is the value of C6?

It is not conventional to shape the frequency response with the same circuitry that is used to compensate the dominant pole. But, as I said, give it a try.
bmxguitarsbmx
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 115
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 22:15
Has thanked: 176 times
Have thanks: 61 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby bmxguitarsbmx » 14 Nov 2017, 04:24

You do technically have a point about the dominant pole. Adjusting C8 changes the dominant pole. C6 however, like I said- Try it! Slew rate distortion might be the next big thing.
bmxguitarsbmx
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 115
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 22:15
Has thanked: 176 times
Have thanks: 61 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby grrrunge » 14 Nov 2017, 06:41

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:It's predictable? What is the formula to predict it? Let's put -3dB @ 1kHz. What is the value of C6?

Once you calculate your small signal equivalents its trivial to employ the Miller theorem in order to calculate the open loop frequency response. I'll try to give an example, when i get off work :)
Looking back on the last few posts, it looks like we both agree, the dominant pole in the open loop dictates both the GBWP and slew rate in this amplifier. The only thing i disagree on is your statement about dominant pole compensation being unpredictable ;)
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk
User avatar
grrrunge
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 11:51
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 58 times
Have thanks: 200 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby grrrunge » 14 Nov 2017, 06:43

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:You do technically have a point about the dominant pole. Adjusting C8 changes the dominant pole. C6 however, like I said- Try it! Slew rate distortion might be the next big thing.

Also; C8 is in the negative feedback loop, and as such it is affecting the closed loop frequency response, not the open loop frequency response ;)
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk
User avatar
grrrunge
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 11:51
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 58 times
Have thanks: 200 times

Re: TC SPARK BOOSTER MINI

Postby bmxguitarsbmx » 14 Nov 2017, 20:06

You are correct that miller capacitance is involved. You also need to know the current gain of the pnp, the re of the pnp, and the output impedance of the j-fet stage. Once that is all done, it doesn't really matter because the feedback loop will correct the response (to the limits that it can). That is what I call unpredictable.

My basic point is that changing C6 will do nothing but increase slew limiting until the limits of the feedback mechanism are reached.

Like I said, TRY IT! Definitely try it before you recommend it anymore.
bmxguitarsbmx
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 115
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 22:15
Has thanked: 176 times
Have thanks: 61 times


Return to Modern Stompbox Effects (1975 - ...)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests