Diezel VH4 Pedal  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

from the photos C8 is 2200p 630v and C11 is 4700p 630v :wink:
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I am pretty certain it would sound the same with less expensive 100v capacitors though perhaps they used 630v types to justify the high price of the pedal or maybe , being a tube amplifier manufacturer, they simply had lots of these high voltage capacitors in stock already :hmmm:

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

bajaman wrote:I am pretty certain it would sound the same with less expensive 100v capacitors though perhaps they used 630v types to justify the high price of the pedal or maybe , being a tube amplifier manufacturer, they simply had lots of these high voltage capacitors in stock already :hmmm:
I agree you are probably right. The wima website is a very interesting read on capacitors: http://www.wima.de/EN/article.htm

The Wima FKP 4 series is an interesting one. Internally it is a series connection of two capacitors essentially.

Not to encourage cork sniffing, but I replaced every ceramic cap in my jcm800 with silver mica only to put it back to stock the very same day. Other amps sound top notch with silver mica, however.

Thanks for the verification Bajaman! :)

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I finished the board layout and have uploaded it to OSH PARK as a shared project - file is: Weasel V84 pedal :secret:
Here are some pictures etc.
6e551f305b6bcbbde58e4760afc4ced0.png
6f4b8ed2861cd62824657eb2a0aca1a2.png
Attachments
Weasel V84 top layer.JPG

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Weasel V84 bottom layer.JPG
Weasel V84 pedal.zip
(51.45 KiB) Downloaded 569 times
The last file is the gerbers and drill files :wink:
Have fun
bajaman

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

bajaman wrote:I finished the board layout and have uploaded it to OSH PARK as a shared project - file is: Weasel V84 pedal :secret:
Here are some pictures etc.
6e551f305b6bcbbde58e4760afc4ced0.png
6f4b8ed2861cd62824657eb2a0aca1a2.png
great work bajaman,please post the final schematics ,i would like to do a single side pcb to share
thanks
Rcustoms
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hello Rcustoms :D
great work bajaman,please post the final schematics ,i would like to do a single side pcb to share
thanks
The schematic posted previously in this thread by another member is correct - but as i mentioned R26 and R34 are 1k not 110R.
The back to back diodes are 5v6 zeners.
cheers
bajaman

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

the previous pictures of the top and bottom layers are 300 dpi.
these further two pictures are half sized due to the forum restriction of 1M byte files :wink:
Weasel V84 pedal top photoview half size.JPG
Weasel V84 pedal composite half size.JPG
cheers
bajaman

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Does anyone know where to purchase these horizontal mounting potentiometers ?
cheers
bajaman

440hz
Information

Post by 440hz »

Nice layout! Thanks for sharing.

OSHPark's pricing is $5 per square inch for 3 boards. Since your board measures 4.38x4.88 inches, that's 21.4 square inches, or about $107 for three boards.

That's just over $35 per board. Seems pricey. Are there any other PCB manufacturers that offer better pricing? Or is this really what you guys pay for boards?

440hz
Information

Post by 440hz »

Also, what size enclosure would this require? The 1590BB is the biggest I've used, and those measure 3.7x4.7 inches -- almost long enough in the longer dimension, but a half inch too short in the shorter dimension.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Nice layout! Thanks for sharing.

OSHPark's pricing is $5 per square inch for 3 boards. Since your board measures 4.38x4.88 inches, that's 21.4 square inches, or about $107 for three boards.

That's just over $35 per board. Seems pricey. Are there any other PCB manufacturers that offer better pricing? Or is this really what you guys pay for boards?
OSH PARK also offer a medium run double layer service at $1 per square inch for a minimum 10 board order, ($214.00 for 10) which makes the single board price $21.40 :wink:

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Also, what size enclosure would this require? The 1590BB is the biggest I've used, and those measure 3.7x4.7 inches -- almost long enough in the longer dimension, but a half inch too short in the shorter dimension.
The layout was traced directly from the Diesel pictures - so that is the size of the Diezel enclosure. Now where can one get those potentiometers :wink:

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

update - found two small errors around C3 and C4 on my board layout - now corrected (Rev 1) file shared at OSH PARK :oops:

440hz
Information

Post by 440hz »

bajaman wrote:Now where can one get those potentiometers :wink:
Are those not just your average right-angle PCB mount pots like these? http://www.taydaelectronics.com/potenti ... mount.html

Jan1966
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Jan1966 »

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

bajaman wrote:I am pretty certain it would sound the same with less expensive 100v capacitors though perhaps they used 630v types to justify the high price of the pedal or maybe , being a tube amplifier manufacturer, they simply had lots of these high voltage capacitors in stock already :hmmm:
bajaman:

What is your opinion on counterfeiting?

Do you feel that the market should not dictate the price of a product and that there should be some limit to what stompbox builders can earn?

Is there an "activist" role that DIY people should play to punish companies that charge above a reasonable limit?

Thanks! Curious to better understand these topics! :)

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hello bmxguitarsbmx
Since you are asking me personally on a public forum i will give you my answers - these are my opinions only and do not neccessarily reflect the views or opinions of any other member of this forum :wink:
What is your opinion on counterfeiting?
I do not think counterfeiting is good if the counterfeiter is using another person or company's good business name in an attempt to sell their own product to the "marketplace" in an attempt to fool the potential purchaser that the product is genuine. Behringer produces a large number of products that are derived from other manufacturers designs circuit wise but they do not advertise them as Boss, ibanez, tech 21, QSC, Peavey, Mackie etc, products, so in this sense would you say that they are counterfeiting ? Many companies in mainland China produce musical instruments such as guitars where they are clearly offering counterfeit product displaying the true owner's name such as Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker, MusicMan etc. I guess they do not view counterfeiting as a crime in China.
:roll:
Do you feel that the market should not dictate the price of a product and that there should be some limit to what stompbox builders can earn?
Short answer is no to both questions :)
Is there an "activist" role that DIY people should play to punish companies that charge above a reasonable limit?
I don't believe so. If a company charges above a reasonable limit, they do not sell enough product to remain in business surely. I see no role for a DIY person to punish a company for any reason.
I do see DIY as a very satisfying way of learning how to build things differently - a great learning experience and very satisfying for the DIY builder when their actual build works first time, although this is not always the case and that is where the DIYer learns fault finding skills or enlists the help of more experienced DIYers to get his or her build working as desired. Incidentally many DIY folks that frequent this forum have gone on to become builders themselves and many of them produce fine products that are unique to them and not simply clones or copies of some one else's work - Brian Wampler comes to my mind.

cheers
bajaman :D

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

bajaman,
I really appreciate your time and thoughtfulness in writing your response. :)

DIY is fun and a fantastic way to spend the evening time. I was part of the BE OD project going on, and this VH4 is also up my alley. I am conflicted about this stuff. I wouldn't want to have a negative effect on the market.

In general, I think that reversing these designs could actually push innovation. Possibly and hopefully ;)

Best wishes,
bmx

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

After a few nights work I have shrunken the layout to fit inside a Hammond 1590BB enclosure - it will also fit inside the equivalent NSC enclosure :wink:
I decided to cut the board down so that the potentiometers, and sockets are connected by flying leads - this reduces the pcb cost by 50% and allows the use of any style of potentiometer and socket etc. :)
I have placed an order with OSH PARK for the minimum 3 boards, so will probably have a spare board available at some stage. Once i have actually built and tested the pcb I will share the board on OSH PARK. I think this is the best way of doing things in case of any pcb errors - i will publish some pictures of the board and pedal in this thread once built and tested :thumbsup
In the meantime here are some top and bottom views of the board layout for you all.
cheers
bajaman
Weasel V84 1590BB mini board bottom.JPG
Weasel V84 1590BB mini board top.JPG