Caline CP-32 Clear Veil Overdrive Fuzz

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 1000 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

This is definitely something i didn't wish to see. Heavy disappointment. It's exactly the same as CP-11 Puffer Fuzz, with ust two cap values changed. And this makes it sound even worse than the Puffer. Highly moddable to get a decent fuzz face though. Worst caline "design" i've seen so far.

Caline CP-32 Clear Veil Overdrive/Fuzz

Rx 100R
R1 47K
R5 1M
R6 100K
R7 22K
R8 4K7
R9 4K7

C1 22µ/50V
C3 100n/100V
C4 22µ/50V

D1 1N4001
Q2 2N3904
Q3 2N3904

Fuzz B2K
Tone B100K
Level A100K
Attachments
Caline-CP32-ClearVeil.jpg
Caline-CP32-A.jpg
Caline-CP32-B.jpg
Caline-CP32-C.jpg
Caline-CP32-D.jpg
Caline-CP32-E.jpg
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

I bought one of these, along with the Puffer, and I noted in that thread it says 9v-18v above the power jack. They bias up correctly at 18v and sound pretty good. I think this one has a factory error and the input cap should be 2.2uf which makes it a fuzz face clone. The Puffer is a JH mod version with the 4.7uf and 220nf output cap. The tone pot makes it work nicely with humbuckers and wah pedals, similar to the clean pot on the AM sun face. Interesting to note that mine does not have the 100R resistor hack on the backside of the board, which makes me think they actually test these things and make the modification if necessary to stop oscillation, rather than emulate vintage caps with high series resistance. Also going by the puffer and this pedal, I think they might actually match the hfe, I'll find that out later.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

I received my cap tester today, this schematic is now verified other than the battery connection which doesn't exist in any Caline pedals I have bought, they have no battery connectors at all.

I believe that C1 is a mistake in Caline's manufacturing schematic and it should be 2.2µF instead of 22µF. I replaced the cap in mine and it's sounds much much better.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

I got an Atlas DCA55 for xmas, so I measured the hfe on the transistors in this. They are both 346. Those are some hot 3904's, I wonder what brand they are.

I replaced them with some Fairchild ones that have 200 hfe, it sounds better but not by much.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

I bought some higher quality electrolytics for this, a 2.2uf and 22uf nichicons. Not a lot of difference but quieter. As with the puffer fuzzes I bought, the input jack/circuit board has some issues and I had to resolder it to get rid of the excess noise and intermittence. Once I did that, it now sounds quite good, smooth and fat. I also did the 100ohm resistor mod to the fuzz control to compensate for the lower ESR of the high quality caps, it got rid of the excess noise at full fuzz.

I don't think much else can be done with these, I think they would benefit with a bias pot mod. I'm going to do that to one of them by changing the 22k to 5.6k and wiring in a 20k pot.