Why any drive in front of Sansamp sound awful?

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
brownwhopping
Information

Post by brownwhopping »

Hi,
Why any drive in front of Sansamp sound awful? It is something because input buffer in Sansamp or something?

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Hi
I don't share your experience, I've used the sansamp for a long time placed at the end of the pedal/FX chain, just before my amp.
That sounded nice to me 8)
It's buffer is also very nice on itself, it sounds very good placed before most of fuzzes when used with a weak single coil guitar, adds some sharpness and gain of course.

brownwhopping
Information

Post by brownwhopping »

What Sansamp are you using? I use Sansamp GT-2 andl also I am using this as amp emulator.
I want to test another fuzzes and drives with it but I remember that it sound very different than in front of other amp. It was tested on Tweed Clean only OFC, because every other settings is too dirty, and I am not Andy from Progitarshopdotcom, who plalys on "clean channel" that sounds like slighly overdriven.

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

I use an old Sansamp, their early model.
It has enough tweaks to tailor your sound as you want, but yes it adds always its own color.
But I can't speak about the GT-2.

brownwhopping
Information

Post by brownwhopping »

Every amp and its own "color". Question is, how to test and project new stompboxes.

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

That's a good question.
Look if you target a large market, you'll need tons of gear, lots of amps, guitars, to test your design with many setups to satisfy more customers.
If you want to build some pedals for fun and your friends you may only need a good amp and a good guitar.