EHX - Bass Metaphors [gut shots]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Andy2No
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Andy2No »

I bought an EHX Bass Metaphors, mostly because it was being sold off cheap.

The compressor is as hissy as it's reputed to be, so basically useless, but as a drive and EQ pedal, I think it works reasonably well.

I'm not going to attempt to trace it, but I did open it up to experiment with the two preset pots (just for the compressor, I think). They do something... it's hard to say exactly what, but that's my experience of compressors in general. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust them to take away the hiss all together.

Anyway, here are some gut shots. I didn't dismantle it, so this is just what you see with the back off.
P1010783.JPG
P1010792.JPG
P1010795.JPG
P1010796.JPG
P1010798.JPG
P1010799.JPG
P1010802.JPG

skizoide
Information

Post by skizoide »

Hi. After all, sorry for my english.

I have the Electro Harmonix Metaphors, and I can dismantle and dissect it with no problems at all. Do you think it could be interesting?
Its a preamp, distortion, eq pedal for bass, with an added compressor.

Andy2No
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Andy2No »

Sorry for my lack of adequate ability to speak - and especially understand - any other language than my own. Language education in Britain was appalling when I was at school. Maybe it still is. They were wasting everyone's time but their own - but kept claiming we were wasting their's.

I have a good auto translate plug-in for Firefox and Waterfox, but I don't know if it even works on Firefox any more - they screwed all the independent developers.

To return to the plot - I think it's a good pedal, if the price is right. It's ripe for modding, because it has a mode switch, where one mode is currently useless - so mod that part of it, or just patch in any other type of effect there, or maybe add a send / return loop, with a simple op amp buffer or two.

I like dirty-clean pedals, and I've bought far worse, for that purpose. I like straight guitar sound too, but being able to tweak the EQ is often useful - and graphic equalisers are generally poor and frustrating to use.

So, yes, at the right price, definitely worth getting anyway, and definitely a good candidate for modding.

There's plenty of room inside to even patch in the guts of another pedal, or a stripboard style one - rather than having to spend on a case for that one.

A lot of people say they often find the sweet spot on a pedal, then just want the knobs to stay there - so fine, use preset pots instead, and leave the back off, or the case screws out, til you''re happy with it.

Stay well, one and all.

What I've found so far is that many doctors recommend taking a Vitamin D supplement to stave off respiratory infections - a broad spectrum of them. There isn't enough in multi-vitamin pills, and most people can't get enough from their diet, or from the sun unless they spend a lot of time outside.

See BMJ 2017 respiratory infections - from the British Medical Association in 2017 - it was a large, thorough study, which has been largely ignored. In the UK, I truly believe, the reasons may have been political - google "Thatcher, the milk snatcher" - allegedly :horsey:

Stay home as much as you can, seems to be the best advice - Dr Antoni Fauci is a good guy to listen to. Some others are not. I like a local retired senior nurse and Ph.D., Dr John Campbell. He's a nice old guy, and he's put a lot of effort into keeping people informed,and reassured, on his YouTooBe channel.

Music, Netflix (or free equivalent), and keep on keeping on :popcorn:

Feel free to repost, retweet (to those who understand those things - I'm a pre-phone age man) any part of what I've said, without attribution, wherever you like. Spread the knowledge. Listen to anyone, then decide for yourself who's advice is worth following.