Fender FDS-90 Distortion Info

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
rmjlmartin
Information

Post by rmjlmartin »

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this, and especially if you can help me.

I just picked this up. It was sold to me as an old Fender FDS-90 distortion pedal, and I don't have any reason to doubt that, but I can't really find much information on the web about it.

I've read that it was made by Maxon, which seems likely, since the enclosure looks like their Japanese -01 Series, and has the Maxon M cast on the inside. I've also read that it's a rebranded Maxon SD-01 Sonic Distortion, which I thought I remembered reading somewhere is a Maxon branded version of the Ibanez SD9 Sonic Distortion. I don't have an actual SD9 to compare it with, but it sounds fairly different from the SD9 side of my Keeley DS-9. Actually, it sounds pretty close to a Boss DS-1.

I've emailed Fender about it, and they really don't have anything on it.

So, does anyone here have any info? Is it really a rebranded SD-01? Does anyone have a schematic for it and/or the SD-01? I may eventually trace it, but for now I'm too lazy...

Thanks!
Attachments
FDS-90-04-3.jpg
FDS-90-01-5.jpg