Boss - CE-1 Chorus Ensemble  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
pf_fan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pf_fan »

borislavgajic wrote:pf_fan...this is music for my eyes!

many thanks :applause:
You're welcome but I just found those pics somewhere online and reposted them here. That's all :)

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

pf_fan wrote:
borislavgajic wrote:pf_fan...this is music for my eyes!

many thanks :applause:
You're welcome but I just found those pics somewhere online and reposted them here. That's all :)

never mind......pics are great...again thank You!!!

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

what is difference between TA7504s and TA7136p.........?
which one to use?

could BBD be subbed with MN3007 ???
wher in europe can I find original BBD?

boris

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

little something to warm up your imagination...........it looks like no problem to make! :wink:

boris
Attachments
providno2a.jpg

quarara
Information
Completed builds: microamp, ts808, big muff, small clone, tremulus lune, ross phaser, ad3208, foxx tone machine, a/da flanger, crackle not okay, ocd.

Post by quarara »

borislavgajic wrote:
wher in europe can I find original BBD?

boris
try vintage planet ;)

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

I think you'll find this link very informative: http://www.bossarea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8049
borislavgajic wrote:it looks like no problem to make! :wink:
Retro-Sonic clone of CE-1 would be much easier to make - no transformer (charge pump), fits in 1590BB, and it's guitar-friendly (original CE-1 was designed with keyboard players in mind).

Retro-Sonic CE-1 clone: http://gtrgear.com/Retro-Sonic/Chorus.htm

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Rocket Roll wrote:I think you'll find this link very informative: http://www.bossarea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8049
borislavgajic wrote:it looks like no problem to make! :wink:
Retro-Sonic clone of CE-1 would be much easier to make - no transformer (charge pump), fits in 1590BB, and it's guitar-friendly (original CE-1 was designed with keyboard players in mind).

Retro-Sonic CE-1 clone: http://gtrgear.com/Retro-Sonic/Chorus.htm
Yes I red about that,but after Youtube demo of both pedals side by side.........keyboard version is my favourite............and transformer is not a problem :block:

and you can see for yourself :arrow: ....

much brighter sound...and nicer(I think)

boris

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

There's a very slight difference, I agree. But try listening while not looking in the monitor - I couldn't tell which pedal plays in that particular moment. Eyes are so much easier to convince than ears :D

RetroSonic mods to CE-1 are relatively small, not linked to tone & most probably reversible - ask Mark H, he helped with the design.

Anyway, the first layout posted is verified & working:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=64736.0
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=65367.0

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

RetroSonic mods to CE-1 are relatively small, not linked to tone & most probably reversible
..... I still hear the difference...... :D ...
.....never mind....ce-1 is a legend, and want to make clone of CE-1.........
.....it would be nice to have propper designed PCB...and complete project here.....

cheers
boris

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

Just to explain why I would prefer RetroSonic's version - I've got one with me right now (revision D, fully operational but needed a cap job), and it's pretty much unusable for guitar:

- Bloody thing just won't stop distorting, no matter what you do. God forbid that you use "High" mode.
- The owner added a mains out cable, so after removing it I had the place to install R11 mod without any further drilling (replacing R11 with 470K pot). Doesn't really help with distortion, it just makes the pedal quiet - CE-1 just can't cope with attack portion of the guitar note.
- Does it get brighter with a buffered pedal in front? Not really, you have to install 500K pot on the input for that.
- Does it do something that other choruses don't? A matter of taste, I suppose. I share Mark's opinion on that one - you plug it in and go "Oh, it's a chorus". Also, having only the "Intensity" control for the chorus is IMHO not enough.

Couple more pics, just in case:
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

nice pictures.......could you make some more......wires,pots and jack connections?

thanks

boris

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

Sure.
Attachments
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

Another angle.
Attachments
IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

Notes: all electrolytics replaced (0.47uF's with 'styrenes and WIMA). Everything else on the PCB's stock. Do not overlook the 220K resistor mounted on the Vibrato Rate pot. Transformer secondary switch replaced with the closest one I could find on such a short notice (the unit goes back to the owner over the weekend). Thick black wire that goes on the PCB is part of the R11 mod. Level Control pot replaced with 500K pot. Peak Level diode removed for inspection, then re-glued back in.
Attachments
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0031.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

thanks a lot.....

borislav
:thumbsup

yeeshkul
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by yeeshkul »

Guys what transformer is that? It seems to be 220V/ 2x18V but i need VA - i have one unit here and the transformer is dead, i have to replace it ....

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Old AC30's
Completed builds: Run Off Groove Splitter Blend
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Way back when (20 years ago ish) I bought mine from the classifieds in Guitarist mag for 40 quid I think. The guy who sold me the pedal included a full set of schematics... Although I haven't seen them for a while it's not something I would ever have thrown away so I'll have a look and post them if it would be of interest...
He said in his cover letter that "If you're any way technical and own an osiliscope, there's a pot that can be adjusted to give a lusher sound...."
Anybody seen or heard of this before?
........I've always wondered......
Re: distortion mentioned in an earlier post, my level is no more than a quarter turn up. I set mine so the level led lights gently.... Clean sounds are still clean just warm, obviously in an analogue manner, and yes forget the high position!
Cheers,
J.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

More pics. My CE-1...
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG

Angle Loss
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Angle Loss »

Does anybody know the delay time for the CE-1? I was kind of surprised by some the Maxon/Ibanez stuff, and though one of you might know about my favorite chorus, the CE-1.

lufox15
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender
Completed builds: Rat, TS808, Microsynth, MT-2, MagnusModulus, Phase 90, WH10, Dynacomp, CE-2, SansAmp GT2, Envelope Filter, BMP, Fuzz Factory

Post by lufox15 »

Hi!, looks like my last post was delete jeje, well, again i made one of this, and work fine :D a demo:

Saludos.