Mxr - Phase 90 = EVH Phase 90?

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

As the title goes, is Phase 90 = EVH Phase 90? What is the mods presents in EVH version?
Appreciated if anyone could share....:)

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

The script reissue Phase 90 with the LED is built on the same PCB as the EVH Phase 90. The push button switch that is a feature of the EVH Phase 90 is present on the PCB for the script reissue but does not do anything. Without having one of each open side by side... :scratch:
The television will not be revolutionized.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

The Rotagilla wrote:The script reissue Phase 90 with the LED is built on the same PCB as the EVH Phase 90. The push button switch that is a feature of the EVH Phase 90 is present on the PCB for the script reissue but does not do anything. Without having one of each open side by side... :scratch:

Does this also mean that the script reissue is is made in SMD technology!?? .. that's much for.. reissue. djeez.. the lettering on the box only.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

No, the script seissue is the same thing as the original one;
Attachments
543811.jpg
543810.jpg
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

Nilvert
Information

Post by Nilvert »

Fuzzer wrote:No, the script seissue is the same thing as the original one;
not quite, there is 2 different re-issues the one you have pictured is the M'74 and is a handmade custom shop jobbie, the other (M101) is just the evh one in a different box

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Ahhh, so I was mistaken, then It's pretty sure the other reeissue is not the same as the original, what a shame.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

The one I'm referring to is this -

This one has the switch for the EVH push button on the PCB. For what it's worth, I did a side by side with the handwired one and the one pictured in this post. I sold the handwired one. The script reissue with the LED sounded a little clearer, had less hiss and also had a faster top rate.
The television will not be revolutionized.

iñigo montoya
Information
my favorite amplifier: traynor ysr-1 custom reverb

Post by iñigo montoya »

hi

anyone has the pcb transfer file for this effect? or where i can find it?

thanks!

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

iñigo montoya wrote:hi

thanks!

TONEPAD has it. Would Pena give me some commission for his? :scratch:

trad3mark
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Valvetronix Series
Completed builds: Super Hard On
Fuzz Factory
Aenima/Torn's Peaker (2 in 1 box with toggle switch)
Valvecaster Deluxe (Boost before VC)
Proco Rat (Mod to power jack, and input cap changed)
87% PillowStone
87% GlassJaw

Post by trad3mark »

has anyone built one? they look pretty tough to build tbh

iñigo montoya
Information
my favorite amplifier: traynor ysr-1 custom reverb

Post by iñigo montoya »

lynessmy wrote:
iñigo montoya wrote:hi

thanks!

TONEPAD has it. Would Pena give me some commission for his? :scratch:
hey thanks. i have been looking for it in tonepad but they have the 3 TL072 version. Anyway I got some info from a couple of friends and the thing is going right now. you can see our advances (and excuse my poor english, sorry!!) here:

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4660

thanks again, i hope you enjoy it!!

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

trad3mark wrote:has anyone built one? they look pretty tough to build tbh
I've built a couple of these from the Tonepad layout; there not that tricky to put together as long as you take your time.

They turn out great but IMHO the sound quality can vary greatly depending on the type of FETs chosen and how well they match. I have built a few and despite best efforts some have been dissappointing - they dont come close to my original build (no idea what I did to get it to sound that way!!)

With regard to the EVH P90, I thought the switch selected between block and script, and essentially switch the infamous feedback resistor "R28" in and out. It's a subtle difference; "in" sounds more intense, "out" sounds less flabby and more airy.

I built the mod into my homebrew P90 and it worls well. Mostly use the "out" position.

KB
Information
my favorite amplifier: JMP50
Completed builds: Not in any particular order: Tweed delux, JMP50, 1987
Blue box, King of clones, Neovibe, P90, Cupcake, little green wonder, Honey bee, Fulldrive, lovetone brown sauce, Mayo type bigmuff, fuzz factory, box of rock, super hard on corel chorus.
PT80 x2

Post by KB »

Hi

Like ryanuk I have built a couple on the tonepad layout, and I also thought that the switch on the EVH Phase 90 version just toggled from Script to Block versions of the Phase 90.

If you use the Tonepad layout and take your time I don't think it would be to difficult to build your own. I think the key to getting a nice swirly sound is to have a good set of matched FET's, either doing it yourself (Look up the article on RG's GEOFEX about matching FET's), or buy a matched set. I bought matched sets of FET's from Banzai just to save time and effort (sorry getting a bit lazy in my old age) and I'm pleased with the results. In an A/B test with a friend real Phase 90 no more difference than two Phase 90's surprisingly enough... :roll:

I included the R28 feedback resistor mod see link below for more info, on one build. Not really sure which way I use it mostly, as it is a very subtle difference and I never really check. I also tried the variable feed back resistor, but again it is a subtle effect. There are more mods on the page that is linked too, have a look and see for your self.

Link:http://www.erikhansen.net/?page_id=31

Hope this helps.

Kevin