Tech 21 - Bass Driver DI  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

Complete project, schematic, PCB layout @

http://plexilandia.googlepages.com/tech12bassdriver.rar
Attachments
tech12bassdriver.pdf
Tech 21 - Bass Driver DI
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 3272 times

iloophao
Information

Post by iloophao »

cool, but no phantom & ground connect SW, no line inst output & line inst Xlr sw

kurotenshi
Information

Post by kurotenshi »

Although there are some models with only one switch, from what I know, the phantom & ground connect switch is present in all of them.

Anyhow, i've been looking forever for this pedal so...TKZ!!!!

EDIT: Locking closer to the schematic, there is some switches present but there are only one contact per switch so....what, connect the switch to the point and the other side to the ground?

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

is this verified
??

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

IM building one this weekend so Ill let you know if its good. But all indications seems it should. :)
Skyline FX 2013

kurotenshi
Information

Post by kurotenshi »

Nice mike, i'm waiting on the parts for mine so any tips would be very cool. By the way, what are you going to do about the switches? 3 on/off with one side connected to the ground?

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Havent gotten as far as the switches yet. But thats what I might do. I have a lot of spst/spdt that might work. :)

I had a hard drive die on me today so my time has been demoted..but, i can start populating the board tonight. 8)
Skyline FX 2013

kurotenshi
Information

Post by kurotenshi »

Good luck on that :wink:

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Yeah right!!
Skyline FX 2013

kurotenshi
Information

Post by kurotenshi »

So mike, any developments?

I'ts my turn now, parts arrived today but the guys from Banzai forgot the damn knobs!!! :(

I'll try to get this to work temporarily with some old knobs I have from an old TV. Anyhow, I'll post again when I have news.

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Not yet....but Its still being built. :oops:

Been busy and lazy. And lazy and busy. :oops:
Skyline FX 2013

gkoerselman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gkoerselman »

The 'Triangular Ear' (Behringer) Bass21 would be the Behringer BDI21 which is supposed to be a simplified clone of the Sansamp Bass Driver DI.

I build mine from the same schematic by Diz and it works fine, but I did do my own PCB layout.

I'll try to upload my layout and some pictures of the finished product today...

kurotenshi
Information

Post by kurotenshi »

Are you shure? Did you ever compared the sound of both? cause I have a Behringer one so if the sound is not better....

gkoerselman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gkoerselman »

No, I'm not sure... All I know is that the schematic presented here would more likely be the Behringer then the Sansamp (in regards to ground lift and no phantom power or cut/boost).

I read one review (I think it was on talkbass) from a guy who had both the Behringer and Sansamp and didn't hear much difference between the two. He sold the Sansamp and kept the Behringer...

kurotenshi
Information

Post by kurotenshi »

Yes, i've seen the video, it was why I bought the BDI21. So you say the 3 switch "points" in the schematic is for an SPDT (on/on) switch for the ground lift?

kurotenshi
Information

Post by kurotenshi »

kurotenshi wrote:Yes, i've seen the video, it was why I bought the BDI21. So you say the 3 switch "points" in the schematic is for an SPDT (on/on) switch for the ground lift?
Not video sorry, samples

gkoerselman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gkoerselman »

The schematic in this post doesn't have the ground lift on the XLR output anymore and I think the bypass switch lookes messed up.

The original schematic (http://home.planetahost.ru/~firewood/teb21.pdf) has this black box of FET based switching but there is another version which has that replaced for true-bypass: http://www.geocities.com/george_giblet/ ... te_v10.png.

As I don't consider this a 'stompbox' but a DI box or even pre-amp, I didn't put an 'expansive' switch into mine. I also ommited the Blend control as all the cool presets show the blend at max.

gkoerselman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gkoerselman »

I split the balanced XLR output onto a second board because I was afraight it would otherwise not fit in a BB enclosure. Advantage of this is of course that the whole XLR output could easily be ommited.

Here are some pictures:

If anyone is interested, I recommend they send me their e-mail address so I can send them the Eagle files.

This is not an easy build and considering the Behringer only costs 40,- or so it might not be worth it...

kurotenshi
Information

Post by kurotenshi »

So, I've been reading around and seems like a big part of the sound of the sansamp is due to the op-amp choice.
For instance, I've seen a project for the sansamp classic were the first choices of chips are TLC2262 for dual and LM324 for quad op-amp.
So, can some one tell if there is anything to that?

I really can't belive there aren't any schematics or at least gut shots of the SansAmp BDDI...
gkoerselman can/have you compared the sound of both boxes? (yours and Behringer)

iloophao
Information

Post by iloophao »

where is on/off ?