Danelectro - CV-1 Cool Cat Vibe

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
FenderGuy53
Information

Post by FenderGuy53 »

This is a very cool pedal. Of all the Danelectro Cool Cat modulation effects, this is my fave.

Is it a clone?

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Do you have one? ¿Why not post some photos of it then?, so we all can determine if it's a clone (which I'm pretty sure is).
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

FenderGuy53
Information

Post by FenderGuy53 »

Fuzzer wrote:Do you have one? ¿Why not post some photos of it then?, so we all can determine if it's a clone (which I'm pretty sure is).
Forgive my ignorance (I'm new here). I'd be happy to oblige, but what, specifically, do you need to know/see?

Thanks.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Pictures like the ones this member contributed will be useful to check the pedal out and make some solid conclusions.

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... =20#p46511
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

mfgobbi
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mfgobbi »

Here is what I found at DIY-SB. I actually performed this mod in my own CC-vibe. Works great. It looks and sounds like a univibe with a cool blend control rather than just a switch.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg592192

FenderGuy53
Information

Post by FenderGuy53 »

mfgobbi wrote:Here is what I found at DIY-SB. I actually performed this mod in my own CC-vibe. Works great. It looks and sounds like a univibe with a cool blend control rather than just a switch.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg592192
I love mine, too. Actually, I'm trying to find out if anyone reversed the Vibe to see if it's a clone of something else.

Thanks.

neiloler
Information

Post by neiloler »

Dig this one up says I... :horsey:

I got this pedal and did the DIYStompBox mods (at least the light and always-on mods) and this pedal is great. I really dig the tone, it's a great vibe sound.

snyder80
Information

Post by snyder80 »

To obtain unitygain when engaging the pedal get in a 100k/120k/150k right there (it worked quite nice for me):

PS: I used the pic from the diystompbox tutorial for pulsationg status LED.
Attachments
Volume Fix vibe1kb4.jpg
Volume Fix vibe1kb4.jpg (68.23 KiB) Viewed 5031 times

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

snyder80, did you put a regular resistor on or a smd type one?
thank you

snyder80
Information

Post by snyder80 »

yes i did. because resistors in parallel get smaller. the 47k (473) ist to big, it needs to be around 30-33k, i think.

But take care: if you jumper those 2 pins, the effect-out gets "canceled"..

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

how did you solder the big res on the smd one? I tried it once in a ehx big muff and it was a real pain...

snyder80
Information

Post by snyder80 »

You can use spareparts from an old ibanez soundtank pedal e.g. they are typical resistors, but only twice the size of "normal" smd-types.

I used a normal one. it hard to do, but after modding my behringer gdi21 (opamp-change in smd) im quite used to solder in smd.

Hint: use a tiny pencil-type solder-tip.

have fun,

snyder80

fretzburner
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fretzburner »

remove the stock 47k resistor and replace with 22k-the result is just a slight volume boost compared to bypass

DonDougie
Information

Post by DonDougie »

just got one after they were out of stock for a while, and there seems to be a new revision! there is now a trimmer accessible through the battery compartment that goes from zero volume to a slight boost, so no need for the volume mod anymore :D
thanks for listening, danelectro :applause:

otherwise, it sounds really, really good! the delay of course is still present, but it is an easy fix, and i plan to rehouse it anyway...

howmuch
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by howmuch »

For anyone with a Cool Cat Vibe who feels they are not getting a great univibe throb, read on.
FYI - I have the newer version with the added volume trimpot. I'm not bothered by the warm up delay.

What I was most bothered about was the "Very nice, but not quite there" sound I was getting.
It was great for "Time" and other Floyd/cleanish tones, and even "Bridge of sighs" was OK.
However, it wasn't quite cutting it for distorted Hendrix tones.
I was getting a kind of "ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh" sort of sound, when What I wanted was more of a "nang-nang-nang-nang" if you know what I mean.

It's been mentioned a few times elsewhere, but I thought I'd add some info in this main thread (hope no-one minds).
The trimpot (not the volume one) to the left of the bulb housing, under the PCB with the jacks on, was essential in getting the sound I was after.
This is the trimpot that controls the static current through the bulb.
It was set fully clockwise (4:30) and "fixed", like as if it had been optimised in the factory. Belive me, it hadn't.
I set the controls, played guitar, and adjusted the pot until it sounded best.
For me, I found the best setting to be at 2:30.

What a difference it's made. It's now absolutely perfect. :D
I was thinking of getting a more expensive univibe until I did this, but now I can't imagine how it could sound any better.
It would be nice to have better access to that trimpot, since the best setting might change depending on the other controls.
I may look at doing that at some point, if it's possible without a complete re-house.
R.I.P. Burke Shelley, from one of my favourite (and much underrated) bands - Budgie
Their songs have been covered by Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Soundgarden, Metallica and more.
If you don't know how HEAVY this band was in the 70s, check Breadfan out.

mat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mat »

Big thanks for the tip. I also listened about 15minutes while playing and ended with same setting as you. Now it IS great sounding pedal. I have the older model. Did put external volume control to it. Cool !

Mat

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

has anyone who has owned both compared this, by circuit and by ear, to the danelectro chicken sandwich it replaced/updated?
the danelectro cool cat tremolo is supposed to be a fairly verbatim true bypass with volume trimmer update of the danelectro tuna melt.
am wondering if this update has taken the same approach (both the tuna melt and chicken salad are much appeciated, so no need to reinvent) or is the cool cat vibe a bigger departure from the chicken salad?

poupoupsi
Information

Post by poupoupsi »

Hi,

The bulb light of my cool cat vibe is broken.
Anyone knows what kind of bulb light should I use to replace it ?

Thank you in advance.

Mathieu

odieux fonzie
Information

Post by odieux fonzie »

Hi ! I need help with my Cool Cat Vibe. I posted a new topic bt no answer, so I try here !
The pedal speed knob is now acting weird : everything else is fine, but the speed is very fast, and until I reach 12h on the pot, it's so fast that you don't here modulation at all. If somebody has any idea, it would be awesome ! Thank you !!

Lani
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

So are you saying it's fast all the time or is it just past 12?