Dunlop - DB-01 Dimebag Crybaby Wah

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
m0jo
Information
my favorite amplifier: Laney VC100
Completed builds: m0jo Muff of Death: SHO -> Muff Fuzz (with voltage knob and asymetrical 3mm blue led clipping)

Electro Harmonix Doctor Q speed mod -> faster reaction

Boss SD-1 Keeley mod + diode board (for choosing led, gemanium diode, germanium tran, russian nos diode, 1n914, 1n4848)

Boss CEB-3 -> adapt low pass filter for guitar range.

Post by m0jo »

Hi Guys,

http://rapidshare.com/files/242296164/D ... s.zip.html

I found these gutshots of the CFH somewhere a while ago, forgot about them, got interested in the CFH again, checked back and saw SMD parts. Now I don't know what to think, apart from being a pain in the ass to mod, are SMD parts in anyway affecting the sound? (on one side, the parts will have the same values, but on the other i imagine some reactions might be different?).

I really like the sound of the wah, and the possibilities. I have an Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon now, which I like, but it just lacks some mojo for the funk, although the wails are ace. :( Also on the usability aspect I love the auto-switching on the WD-7, so i'm really torn. :scratch:

To stop my rambling .. how do SMD components compare to regular ones in a wah like the CFH?? :?:
SparkPlug .. FunkyPunkRockMetal

Paul Marossy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Paul Marossy »

I bought a broken DB-01 off of ebay once thinking I could fix it, but I never did figure out what the problem was. But I did get a red Fasel inductor and a really cool wah shell out of the deal. :P

Anyhow, yeah, it's SMD. I personally do not think that SMD components are going to sound any better or worse than standard thru hole stuff. They are just different packaging.
_/\_/\_PJM_/\_/\_

http://www.diyguitarist.net

m0jo
Information
my favorite amplifier: Laney VC100
Completed builds: m0jo Muff of Death: SHO -> Muff Fuzz (with voltage knob and asymetrical 3mm blue led clipping)

Electro Harmonix Doctor Q speed mod -> faster reaction

Boss SD-1 Keeley mod + diode board (for choosing led, gemanium diode, germanium tran, russian nos diode, 1n914, 1n4848)

Boss CEB-3 -> adapt low pass filter for guitar range.

Post by m0jo »

Paul Marossy wrote:I bought a broken DB-01 off of ebay once thinking I could fix it, but I never did figure out what the problem was. But I did get a red Fasel inductor and a really cool wah shell out of the deal. :P

Anyhow, yeah, it's SMD. I personally do not think that SMD components are going to sound any better or worse than standard thru hole stuff. They are just different packaging.
Haha I had that same kind of story with a Snarling Dog (and it's a pretty rad shell at that! :D Heavy like a ton of bricks as well...).

Hmm, somehow hearing all that stuff about different types of capacitors and stuff made me think that these might be slightly different, not persee in a bad sense.. It's just tone-snobbery/paranoia then I guess. ;)
SparkPlug .. FunkyPunkRockMetal

Evz
Information
Completed builds: TS9
Big Muff
Micro Amp
Phase 90
Fuzz Face
Rangemaster

Post by Evz »

if you are looking for a project out of this, i am in the process of making a schem and layout (i found a schem online for the DB-01 which seems correct close to the one i have)

I'll post them in a different for people to use,

The project has a volume boost, switchable inductors (red and Yellow Fassel), fine Q adjustment, fine tune adjustment, sweep range select.

The project is based on a remote controlled wah, meaning a circuit with an LDR controlling the wah using a midi cable. I have the board done already, just need to put values on the schematic and post it :)