MXR - Phase 90 (script, reissue)

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

[smilie=bump.gif]
rocklander wrote:thanks... so I guess my real question is, if I was to do a layout with 3X dual (or a single quad and a dual) there's no disadvantage from a sound perspective?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

xenrelic
Information
my favorite amplifier: Custom Modified Marshall JMP-50
Completed builds: Micro Amp
AD9
Ocatvia
Fuzz Face
Univibe
BSIAB II
Crybaby Wah
Clyde Wah
Xen Wah
Phase 90
TS-9
DD-3
DD-5
OC-2
BF-2
CE-2
CE-3

Post by xenrelic »

I think MXR didn't have access to any dual op-amps at the time of the first layout. The sound of the chip is pretty interesting as well. This layout is a lot different sounding from the dual op-amp versions, it's more subtle, smoother and not as 'spacey' sounding than the later model block logo layout.

Here's a PCB from the first batch.

This build is using:

Matched 2N5285 transistors instead of 2N5952 transistors.
.047uF WIMA MKS2 film caps instead of .05uF ceramic disc caps
Carbon film resistors instead of metal film resistors.
Texas instrument UA741CP chips instead of National Semiconductor LM741CN chips.
Board mounted 150k resistor instead of the flying 150k resistor.
True bypass switch.
Alpha C500K pot instead of 05C500K pot.

It sounds much better than the stock '74 reissue.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

yeah, never mind.. my n00bishness betrays me.. had I bothered to look at tonepad I'd have seen they use dual opamps :slap:
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

hotguit
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hotguit »

Hi
i modded my 74 script reissue with dc jack according to xenrelic schem (see pdf in previuos page); the unit works perfectly but i noticed that there are more highs and the tone is not so warm and full using it with dc jack than using it with battery. This mod should not alter the tone at all (or it is said not to do it); how can it be? did i make any error? (i followed the schematic in pdf. I put dc jack only, no led and 3pdt)
Maybe the battery (tired) gives less than 9V and the effect sounds better? (warmer, bigger, with no high peaks and smoother).
Is there any mod to mimic a tired battery using a dc adaptator?
thank you for your help
bye
hot

hotguit
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hotguit »

nobody?
hot

harrisxr650
Information

Post by harrisxr650 »

thi is the phase i always wanted..I've build 2 of them one for me and one for a friend of mine and works like a charm :).
anyone knows a good way to intensity pot as well as a speed led? Just to make it a bit more versatile

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

harrisxr650 wrote:thi is the phase i always wanted..I've build 2 of them one for me and one for a friend of mine and works like a charm :).
anyone knows a good way to intensity pot as well as a speed led? Just to make it a bit more versatile
You mean like a depth pot? You replace the 1M resistor between the gates of the fets and the trimmer with a 500k resistor and 500k pot I think... The mod is out there in google land in more than one place I think.

Flashing/pulsing LEDs stink, why do you want one of them :wink: (I have no idea about that)
Yet to break through the Space Charge

harrisxr650
Information

Post by harrisxr650 »

yeap a depth pot :) i did change the 1M res with a 1M pot in series with a 680ohm res and didnt like the results, from 0-5 the pot is dead and no phase only dry signal, from 5-10 the pot becomes active but i would like to have usable the full range of the pot so i can dial in precise where i want to. Maybe i had wired wrong the pot with the res? I mean when i saw i series i though a connection like "pcb-680ohm res- pot lug 3- pot lug 2 to pcb...
Well about the led... i wanted it so i can see the lfo speed ( and because its cool :D) ;)

armdnrdy1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by armdnrdy1 »

Try a 470K resistor with a 500KC pot for the depth control.

The 680Ω resistor is way too small.

xenrelic
Information
my favorite amplifier: Custom Modified Marshall JMP-50
Completed builds: Micro Amp
AD9
Ocatvia
Fuzz Face
Univibe
BSIAB II
Crybaby Wah
Clyde Wah
Xen Wah
Phase 90
TS-9
DD-3
DD-5
OC-2
BF-2
CE-2
CE-3

Post by xenrelic »

hotguit wrote:nobody?
hot
Check you battery voltage and use an adjustable regulated 9vdc power supply, or use a 1k resistor from the DC+ lug of the DC jack to a (1N5239B) or (ZL9M3) 9.1v Zener diode to ground, a 220uF 25v capacitor and a .1uF 50v ceramic capacitor in parallel with the zener diode for the filter and then the output of the 1k resistor to the 9VDC input of the SP90 board.