DOD - FX25 Envelope Filter  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

Sorry you guys,I was side-tracked for a couple weeks. The 3094 ic's are back in,I'm just waiting for some j111 transistors to come in the mail and I'll try swapping those out.

czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

Ok, I replaced the J111 ic's and its passing signal when on and off. But the signal is un-effected. So that leads me to assume its down to the ca3094 ic's,as they are responsible for the envelope.
I feel I'm getting closer, just need to find those ic's now. Is there an equivalent more common ic with a pin for pin match.? If anybody knows could you share that with me?
happy holidays!

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

Thanks! damn those are pricey IC's! Even on ebay from China they are about the same but at least the shipping is free. Gonna order 2,should be here in a couple weeks :cry:

MarcoMike
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MarcoMike »

some say you'll probably get some nicely forged chips from china...

EDIT:not me, I love to buy from china, the only problem is that shipping usually takes over a month..

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

MarcoMike wrote:some say you'll probably get some nicely forged chips from china...

EDIT:not me, I love to buy from china, the only problem is that shipping usually takes over a month..
Frequently, they supply forged, poor quality BBD ICs, but everything else I've bought has been fine. I find that shipping to the UK usually takes about a week.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

DOD FX25B, internal pictures
Attachments
dodFX25B-01.JPG
dodFX25B-02.JPG
dodFX25B-03.JPG

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

capacitor and transistor
Attachments
dodFX25B-04.jpg

MarcoMike
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MarcoMike »

this is a pedal I really loved... then I made a Meatball, and this had to go... but it was quite effective in its simplicity...

I think the schematic is already floating around... I have a pale memory of it... could be my immagination though....

(demotivational comment: this pedal can be found at something like 30 euro, it's probably not worth RE...)

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I merged some threads on the DOD Envelope Filters together... great pics.
You should check the version on your pedal and compare with the existing schematics for part changes.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

MarcoMike
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MarcoMike »

I just googled for fx25b schematic and THIS came out, not sure that is correct, or the right version... but for sure it has a "blend" pot, so it must be a "b" version.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

I'm pretty sure I remember the 25 and the 25b being slightly different, but I don't remember where.

MarcoMike
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MarcoMike »

25 has only two knobs, its the one that czeck-2-1 posted. 25b is the modern version of it, it has also a blend knob and uses a 13700 instead of 3080s

czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

over three weeks and still waiting for 2 ca3094's :cry:

czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

OK, The CA3094's arrived! Plugged them in and there is no effect when on,just a clean bypassed tone. :(
So up to this point I have replaced all IC's,all transitors, all diodes. gueuss I'll move on to electrolytic caps :(

czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

Update, all electrolytics replaced,same problem. Any suggestions out there? I'm about ready to use the box to house a tonepad MXR filter at this point. I'd really appreciate any assistance if somebody has time,or I would be willing to ship it to somebody, Analoguru,are you out there? You helped me out by fixing an MXR phase 45 once! 8)

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

So what are your voltages on all the Pins in this? And where are you loosing Signal with an Audio Probe?

czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

Ok, I finally gave in as a legendary fellow in Austria,far more knowledgable than I, offered to help me out once again. Hopefully it will once again wah , and I will at least be able to post what the problem was on this forum.....

bigorangefan79
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bigorangefan79 »

Could someone give me some advice on how to make a fx25 with a ca3280 dual OTA? Would I need to change any values? Do I put the .01uF caps to ground after the output pins? Could I make it better or different by incorporating the linearization diodes?

Here is a schem with ca3094's https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 25#p124845

Here is the more typical schem with a lm13600 with built in buffers http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimage ... 25.sch.gif

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

czech-one-2 wrote: Is there an equivalent more common ic with a pin for pin match.? If anybody knows could you share that with me?
There are a couple of equivalents, but they are obsolete, and incredibly expensive (if you actually manage to find any). You should do exactly what DOD did - they used an LM13600 instead. The 13600 is a dual OTA, where the 4094 is a single one. Both are equipped with optional output Darlington buffers. My FX25 work-alike uses a TL074 quad and a 13600. It sounds exactly like the original, and cost next to nothing to build. It also has the advantage of an output buffer, and "true bypass". I've done another version using CMOS bypass switching too, which uses a more reliable switch (a momentary type) but still sounds the same!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"