Boss - DS-1 Distortion mods (what works, what doesn't?)

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.

Re: Boss - DS-1 Distortion mods (what works, what doesn't?)

Postby chuckusa » 27 Apr 2018, 04:47

dv8r601 wrote:
chuckusa wrote:Quick question, How can I get the volume to come back up a bit after modding with w few ge 1n34a's and after performing the AMZ fat mod? Which resistor and what values?

^^^^Just a tip, That sounds kinda DEMANDING^^^^
BUT since I'm such a nice guy, I'll bite.
First off Lets find out which ones you've installed, where they came from, what they look like, And if you can operate a DMM,the Vf(diode setting) of said diodes
I ask bc I have a few legit Motorola 1n34 and they hover around 325-380 mV, I have a few batches of those eBay chinese "1n34a" that are really Si schottky and they are nearly half that of the real ones at 200-275 mV.
now to solve:

Normally that's the cost of using Ge diodes, the Vf is really low(>375mV) so unless you can fix that, your gonna cut way more of the volume.
many ways to go about this, 1) double up ge diodes by adding another in the same direction behind each one, thus lifting the Vf and still retaining the softer knee they yield. 2) piggy back them with a diode that has a higher Vf Like 1n4001, 1n4148, etc 3) carefully go thru this thread bc I'm pretty sure its in here. Its better to read everything and I'm 100% you'll get the answer your looking for, this place has Thousands of highly knowledgeable members that are nice enough to share.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this info. I will get back to you soon!
chuckusa

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Boss - DS-1 Distortion mods (what works, what doesn't?)

Postby 5thumbs » 13 Jun 2018, 05:48

I wrote that original document as therapy... to the church-youth-kids I did sound for. I was inspired by R.G. Keen.

I've been dark for nearly a decade, mostly due to sickness. I just today showed it to a fellow guitar-playing friend. But I am enthused in the fact that these mods still stand up well. :-)

I still play old guitar-rock through these pedals... I keep an example of each on my pedal-board. I've had many tube-amps through the years, but I've downsized to a Vox tonelab se (the old one) and a few tube amps.

The DS-1 isn't that complicated, much like the tube-screamer. Just read, mod, and listen and you can do similar. :-)
Modding a DS-1? Please read 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion'.

"Other than a good first-in-line buffer/booster, using other FX to improve bad clean tone is like gift-wrapping garbage."
5thumbs
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 6 times

Previous

Return to Pimp-My-Cheap-Pedal