Danelectro - Black Coffee Arabicaben style

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

Hi,

Ah, so I got this Danelectro Black Coffee.

Great fun to play but I could use about 20dB less of gain like adjusting my volume control to 6 on my strat and 2 on the Lespaulös and with my amplifiers and the sounds I'd set I could only set the Treble control on zero

Hm, just seeing what I'd like let's have a little journey through the circuit:

OK well first in line comes a filter that humps mids- much fun to play....then an amplifier with heavy gain and a clamping set of silicon diodes....

By cutting the trace between R10 and C108 and exchaning R10 with a 3K6 resistor and inserting a potis of 50K reverse log in series the a distortion control is realized.

Hm, addressing treble I'd connect a capacitor of 4n7 Wima type (yes a red one) from edge ofC110 to ground by the clipping diodes and treble control shifts by the LP filter created.

Hm more to come but it's a start

Have fun
BJ

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Did you ever draw up a scheme for this BJF? Seems like a cool little circuit to play with!

I am Klon.

BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

Hi Briggs,

Nah, I never did but it is easily seen once you have a unit infront of you.
I don't have the software to post a schematic anyway.

Yes it really is a fun pedal only perhaps too distorted for a guy my age.

If you get one you will see on the circuitboard exactly how the instructions above could be applied.

In may ways it's a simple circuit that with minimal circuit knowledge is as easily changed to what you'd like.

To remove SMD components you'll need a 15W narrow tip iron and just heat the ends and flip it of the pcb if it is not glued and none are on the Danelectroes.

Hm, will have to take a raincheck on this one though

Have fun
BJ