Cheap pedal -> classic / boutique circuit

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

So what I'd like is a list of cheap pedals and the circuit that is inside so that I know what I'm buying before I buy it over the net. And what circuits to study when looking for mods

Here are some ones I know

Joyo Vintage Distortion JF-01 ($30 http://www.yoosmart.com/jf-01-effect-pe ... drive.html) = Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer
Joyo Ultimate Drive JF-02 ($30 http://www.yoosmart.com/jf-02-effect-pe ... drive.html) = Fulltone OCD

Behringer VD1 - Vintage Distortion = Big Muff (Not sure specific circuit)

Anyone know a cheap Small Stone or MXR phaser clone?

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

some more info, unconfirmed... (from http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/inde ... 59101.html)

"Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. I will try to be short and to the point. I have pretty much opened up one of every pedal I am selling to check it out. The Yuyin/Namu stuff is not that great. Same chassis a Digitech but that is where the similarities end. I will not be selling anymore after I sell these NAMM demos. JOYO makes a good decent sounding pedal. Their pedals for the most part are clones of '70s and '80s pedal circuitry from what I can tell. Their Chorus uses the same chips as a Boss CE-2, Ultimate Drive - Marshall Bluesbreaker, Crunch Distortion - Marshall Guv'nor. A customer commented that his JOYO EQ pedal he bought from me was quieter than his MXR EQ. Beta Aivin makes products for Boss/Roland. For instance the Beta Aivin HM-100 Heavy metal is a Metal Zone. It looks like they make The Roland Cube amps for Roland. Boss pedal boards etc.. Good quality pedals in my opinion. The KLD stuff is more like a boutique pedal. Heavy duty, hand soldered, sounds good. I like their delay compared to the JOYO. My other line is Moen. Very nice fit and finish to these pedals. Moen makes a univibe clone called the Ulite Jimi Vibe. The best one I have ever played through. Instant Trower! Love it! Their delay is good. They make an EQ/Cab Sim/headphone amp/Direct box call a Buffalo EQ. Very nice. I do like the KLD and Joyo distortions better. If you like a Boss style pedal then Beta Aivin is a good choice. If you want more of a boutique vibe then JOYO, KLD and Moen are good choices.
Hope that helps,
Bryan"

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I think behringer makes a a smallstone in an ehx-style big box like their muff clone. edit - some of those some moen boxes look quite cool too.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

yep i just found this viewtopic.php?f=11&t=408

So Behringer VP1 is a Small Stone.. COol

Mods is there a way I can continue to edit the original post and have this as a list??

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

Nocentelli wrote:some moen boxes look quite cool too.
Yes I am very happy with my Moen Pretty Dolly digital delay, I'll post some gut shots soon.

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

ok i'm pretty sure that the moen pretty dolly is a pt80, it is almost certainly using the same chips (although has a 4558 instead of the tl072)

my gutshots turned out crap though .... will try again another time.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

TTK has a list of Behringer "originals": http://thetoneking.com/wp/behringer-sto ... son-chart/
Most are BOSS clones, of course, so not really what one might call "boutique". Then again, since when is MXR a boutique company?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

cool thanks, i just wanted to know what circuit is inside so that you know what schematics/mods to look at before buying...

Whitewash
Information

Post by Whitewash »

Nice Thread! Hope to see more... gotta love a bargain

SKS Mr Britain MB1 is an MI Audio Crunch Box clone
Behringer UV300 is a dead ringer for the very rare Boss VB2 pitch vibrato
(just got mine modded and rehoused, very happy!)

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Pretty much everything Danelectro makes is a clone of something... or close to it. SEARCH function them... :block:
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

So the Danelectro Cool Cat is an OCD https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... danelectro

tkdrew
Information

Post by tkdrew »

Moen Fuzz Moo is a Big muff variant. Modded mine to be close to Skreddy Pink Flesh specs, easy mods, sounds great.

srrvnnt
Information

Post by srrvnnt »

Here's a pic of a Pretty Dolly I just got. Can anyone tell me what the small yellow trim pot might be for? (upper left).
Attachments
100_0385.JPG
100_0385.JPG (33.39 KiB) Viewed 2703 times