Griffin MT-2 Death Metal Mod

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
Seven64
Information

Post by Seven64 »

So I play alot of death metal, and have been looking for a tone similar to the 5150 but not having to spend the coin. I ran across this mod one day, and just had to have it.

I ordered it right away, and found myself a metal zone on craigslist.

Well, I got the mod kit, and was HIGHLY disappointed that I was not going to replacing any of the IC's in the pedal. It also irked me that I had spend over $35 on parts that could be had for much, much cheaper.

I was so disappointed in fact, that I am spilling this $30 mod kit, because the 2nd time around it cost me under $5.

-Replace the limiting Diodes with 3mm LED's (D3 and D4)

-Remove C25 and C35, do not add jumpers

-Replace R14 with a 46k resistor
-Replace R41 with a 680r resistor

**the kit came with 1% metal film 1/4w resistors, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

-Replace C17 with a 1uf Panasonic Multilayer Film Cap (105)

-Replace C36 with a .068uF Panasonic Multilayer Film Cap (683)

-Replace C42 with a .1uF Panasonic Multilayer Film Cap (104)

**the rest of the caps are basic ceramic non polarized caps

-C10 and C18 with 101's

-C26 and C32 with 221's

-C22 and C28 with 121's

And that is the entire mod. 9 caps and 2 resistors.

More recently he included his "noise reduction mod" which I assume helps with the removal of the limiting diodes.

All it is is 2 1n60p diodes facing opposite directions twisted to each other and then bridged between 2 lifted leads from the negative leg of C27 and the leg of R33 that is closest to IC4.

tonight, we ride
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 900 2500
Completed builds: TS-808 kit, Orange Squeezer kit, Super Duper clone, Big Muff (russian re-issue) creamy dreamer switchable mod,

Post by tonight, we ride »

Thanks Seven64! I've definitely got a MT-2 sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust. Gonna have to try this one out for sure!

drbob1
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by drbob1 »

So, how do you feel about the sound of it before/after? Is the mod really worth it?

drbob1
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by drbob1 »

Sorry, I thought the demo was fairly useless as the modded pedal was significantly louder than the unmodded, which is going to change the apparent tone a lot...

Seven64
Information

Post by Seven64 »

drbob1 wrote:Sorry, I thought the demo was fairly useless as the modded pedal was significantly louder than the unmodded, which is going to change the apparent tone a lot...
i think that is from removing the limiting diodes and replacing them with LED's.

IMO its alot more crisp of a pedal, and after i swapped out a few more components and switched the IC in the distortion circuit with an OPA2134 it is a very harsh, crispy pedal

Seven64
Information

Post by Seven64 »

so i am going off the deep end, and trying to turn this into kinda my own design. im eliminating the whole switching circuit, swapping op amps and trannys, and also eliminating the mids section. thinking about adding a tone control.

here is where it is starting at:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=94257.0

Lithium_Grim
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Lithium_Grim »

Do you have some pictures of the pcb after all modifications? That would be great!!
I only give negativ feedback and y'all love it!
PCB shop