I just totally reworked a buddy's black Russian. I got it done last night. it now is much gainier(doomy!), has more usable sounds, and just plain has more "character" than it did before- its a lot more fun!
the emitters of q2 and q3, I changed to 120R, with 22uF bypass caps. just solder them to the resistors. the resistors going to the base were changed to 15K. diodes were changed out for red LEDs, with a DPDT to add a parallel Si to each stage for an assymetrical mode. diode filter cap on q2-.047, q3-.47. Q4's emitter resistor is 500R, with a 470p cap from C to B. for the tone control, I used something similar to the pharaoh version, with a couple differences. .01 - 470K to gr, 20K pot(highs) - 1n2 to gr. the 50K pot adds way more usable tones than the pharoah, and there is less extreme mid scoop. the cap on q1 was changed from 470p to 680p. I might put this on a switch to go from 270p to 680p, because you could get some chunky metal tones with it lower. you can definitely get those black keys sounds with it higher, though. in and out caps changed to 10uF, all other coupling caps .22(would've used .47s, but I'm running low. I don't think it made much of a difference). 100uf filter cap. totally rewired, new switch, pots, jacks, knobs, true bypass. I think that's it. it definitely has more transistor distortion goin on, and doesn't sound as spongy and diodey as it did before. I definitely like it better, it sounds mean as hell! we'll just have to wait and see if my buddy is as impressed- he's using it for the first time at a show tonight!
this was my first muff modding experience. it was a lot of fun, I'm definitely going to try and come up with a more refined version sometime in the future.