Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

Yer welcome!!!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

Yer welcome!!!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Neur0
Information
Completed builds: 1969 Muff Fuzz clone, MXR Phase 90 w/ R28 mod and Depth clone, X-fuzz by deadastronaut, NE555 Voltage Doubler.

Post by Neur0 »

Hi RnFR,
I'm building one from scratch for a friend using your schematic. The selfmade PCB is about 80% populated now, but the clipping/blocking caps drew my attention. Is there a typo and should they both be 470n, or is is really 1x 47n and 1x 470n?
Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,
Remy

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

Neur0 wrote:Hi RnFR,
I'm building one from scratch for a friend using your schematic. The selfmade PCB is about 80% populated now, but the clipping/blocking caps drew my attention. Is there a typo and should they both be 470n, or is is really 1x 47n and 1x 470n?
Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,
Remy
hello, 1 year ago i built RnFR BlakMuFFDoom
both used 47n, sound great!!!

and this week, my friend ask me to build (again) 'standard' http://287m.com/2015/04/09/sovtek-big-m ... k-edition/ because im forgot the sound of black sovtek :( hahaha

Neur0
Information
Completed builds: 1969 Muff Fuzz clone, MXR Phase 90 w/ R28 mod and Depth clone, X-fuzz by deadastronaut, NE555 Voltage Doubler.

Post by Neur0 »

Thanks for your reply 287m.
Since my post I've been reading up some more on the BMP and about the blocking caps and how to use them. Different values for the 2 stages is not uncommon. I'm gonna go with the schematic as is. I did incorporate a switch for the low pass filter to choose between 680pF / 270pF.

Nice compact PCB you made there btw. I might ripp that from you if anybody ever wants a stock Sovtek :)

Have a nice day,
Remy

gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

I don't know which are the best mods for Black Russian Big Muff, but I know which are the worst: Whizzer Mods!!!
:hmmm:

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

Neur0 wrote:Thanks for your reply 287m.
Since my post I've been reading up some more on the BMP and about the blocking caps and how to use them. Different values for the 2 stages is not uncommon. I'm gonna go with the schematic as is. I did incorporate a switch for the low pass filter to choose between 680pF / 270pF.

Nice compact PCB you made there btw. I might ripp that from you if anybody ever wants a stock Sovtek :)

Have a nice day,
Remy
Hello Remy
almost forgot in BlakMuFFDoom RnfR
i just change
R4 to 120, like R11 and R16
and C7 C8 C9 became same value 470p (3rd grade caps, cheaper i found in local store)
tomorrow i call my friend who used blackmuffdoom mods, maybe he still used

:D in my village, the popular pedals is BigMuFF black Sovtek and HM-2 >.<
because the (almost famous) duo local guitar hero here used it. and they the first man have it here

Hermawano
gigelmargel wrote:I don't know which are the best mods for Black Russian Big Muff, but I know which are the worst: Whizzer Mods!!!
:hmmm:
IMHO, the best mods is different for people
like just get own sound, totally different. hehe

and what is whizzer mods mate?
tell me, i dont know :(

Hermawano

sorry for my bad english

gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

This is a BMP with Whizzer Mods:
After 10 minutes of playing, I decided to restore it to the standard Black Russian BMP...now I'm happy :)

Cannibal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Cannibal »

gigelmargel wrote:This is a BMP with Whizzer Mods:
After 10 minutes of playing, I decided to restore it to the standard Black Russian BMP...now I'm happy :)
Have you traced the mods? I am curious on what could make a big muff sound in such a strange way... No clipping diodes perhaps?
Seiche wrote:there's a difference between being drugged (I don't think it was only booze) and retarded.