Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.

Re: Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

Postby RnFR » 16 Jan 2014, 03:11

Yer welcome!!!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
User avatar
RnFR
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 5139
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 07:02
Location: Inner Earth
Has thanked: 140 times
Have thanks: 170 times

Re: Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

Postby RnFR » 16 Jan 2014, 03:11

Yer welcome!!!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
User avatar
RnFR
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 5139
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 07:02
Location: Inner Earth
Has thanked: 140 times
Have thanks: 170 times

Re: Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

Postby Neur0 » 08 Apr 2015, 22:29

Hi RnFR,
I'm building one from scratch for a friend using your schematic. The selfmade PCB is about 80% populated now, but the clipping/blocking caps drew my attention. Is there a typo and should they both be 470n, or is is really 1x 47n and 1x 470n?
Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,
Remy
Neur0
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 Jul 2014, 12:13
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

Postby 287m » 09 Apr 2015, 00:42

Neur0 wrote:Hi RnFR,
I'm building one from scratch for a friend using your schematic. The selfmade PCB is about 80% populated now, but the clipping/blocking caps drew my attention. Is there a typo and should they both be 470n, or is is really 1x 47n and 1x 470n?
Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,
Remy


hello, 1 year ago i built RnFR BlakMuFFDoom
both used 47n, sound great!!!

and this week, my friend ask me to build (again) 'standard' http://287m.com/2015/04/09/sovtek-big-muff-pi-black-edition/ because im forgot the sound of black sovtek :( hahaha
287m
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 11 Nov 2014, 23:51
Location: Heaven ~ Hell
Has thanked: 184 times
Have thanks: 9 times

Re: Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

Postby Neur0 » 09 Apr 2015, 09:50

Thanks for your reply 287m.
Since my post I've been reading up some more on the BMP and about the blocking caps and how to use them. Different values for the 2 stages is not uncommon. I'm gonna go with the schematic as is. I did incorporate a switch for the low pass filter to choose between 680pF / 270pF.

Nice compact PCB you made there btw. I might ripp that from you if anybody ever wants a stock Sovtek :)

Have a nice day,
Remy
Neur0
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 Jul 2014, 12:13
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

Postby gigelmargel » 09 Apr 2015, 17:10

I don't know which are the best mods for Black Russian Big Muff, but I know which are the worst: Whizzer Mods!!!
:hmmm:
gigelmargel
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 245
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 21:57
Has thanked: 13 times
Have thanks: 14 times

Re: Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

Postby 287m » 09 Apr 2015, 18:23

Neur0 wrote:Thanks for your reply 287m.
Since my post I've been reading up some more on the BMP and about the blocking caps and how to use them. Different values for the 2 stages is not uncommon. I'm gonna go with the schematic as is. I did incorporate a switch for the low pass filter to choose between 680pF / 270pF.

Nice compact PCB you made there btw. I might ripp that from you if anybody ever wants a stock Sovtek :)

Have a nice day,
Remy

Hello Remy
almost forgot in BlakMuFFDoom RnfR
i just change
R4 to 120, like R11 and R16
and C7 C8 C9 became same value 470p (3rd grade caps, cheaper i found in local store)
tomorrow i call my friend who used blackmuffdoom mods, maybe he still used

:D in my village, the popular pedals is BigMuFF black Sovtek and HM-2 >.<
because the (almost famous) duo local guitar hero here used it. and they the first man have it here

Hermawano

gigelmargel wrote:I don't know which are the best mods for Black Russian Big Muff, but I know which are the worst: Whizzer Mods!!!
:hmmm:


IMHO, the best mods is different for people
like just get own sound, totally different. hehe

and what is whizzer mods mate?
tell me, i dont know :(

Hermawano

sorry for my bad english
287m
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 11 Nov 2014, 23:51
Location: Heaven ~ Hell
Has thanked: 184 times
Have thanks: 9 times

Re: Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

Postby gigelmargel » 09 Apr 2015, 18:29

This is a BMP with Whizzer Mods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8jXlTuUvQs
After 10 minutes of playing, I decided to restore it to the standard Black Russian BMP...now I'm happy :)
gigelmargel
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 245
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 21:57
Has thanked: 13 times
Have thanks: 14 times

Re: Best Mods for a Black Russian Big Muff?

Postby Cannibal » 12 Apr 2015, 12:33

gigelmargel wrote:This is a BMP with Whizzer Mods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8jXlTuUvQs
After 10 minutes of playing, I decided to restore it to the standard Black Russian BMP...now I'm happy :)


Have you traced the mods? I am curious on what could make a big muff sound in such a strange way... No clipping diodes perhaps?
Seiche wrote:there's a difference between being drugged (I don't think it was only booze) and retarded.
User avatar
Cannibal
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 13:53
Location: Milan, Italy
Has thanked: 31 times
Have thanks: 15 times

Previous

Return to Pimp-My-Cheap-Pedal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests