EH LPB-1

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
wavey63
Information

Post by wavey63 »

Anyone have any tips o modding this pedal to get a litte more transparency when on or even adding a tone control on it for something like a treble boost?

wavey63
Information

Post by wavey63 »

Or even swapping values for a bit different tone. SLightly brighter would be great....

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Try changing the input or output cap or both. Two .01uf's in place of the .1uF's will give you the EH Screaming Bird treble boost which is quite piercing. Experiment with values within that range.

Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

If you find it too muddy or dark, putting an higher value pot could be the solution..I've seen it done on Fuzz Faces..try a 500k pot...

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Did you post this question at DIYStomp ?

Well...anyway, I'll copy and paste the answer I gave there, regarding "making a LPB more like a SHO"....

Well...remember that a LPB will NEVER sound like a SHO.

One of the biggest differences is the input impedance.

In the LPB it's very low, which loads down your guitars pickups and results in the "high end loss" and perceived "fattening" if the tone. You can change the input and output caps to a smaller size, but the reality is that it wont give it more "high end"...it will only have "less low end".

A SHO circuit, OTOH, has a very high input impedance. It doesn't load down your guitar signal, and therefore has a brighter sound that seems more "true" to your guitars actual tone.

You could do some resistor swaps to raise the impedance of the LPB "a bit", but it won't change a lot. A BJT transistor, by design, won't have the input impedance that a mosfet (or even jfet) will have.

So....we get to my advice.....

Don't try and make an apple into an orange. Enjoy the LPB for what it does well, and worry less about what it "doesn't do". It's a great sounding circuit with many uses, and modifying it won't make it do what you want anyway.

Now that we have that settled... do a Image for the AMZ Mosfet Boost. You'll find TONS of info here on the forum, and lots more useful info (including VERY reasonably priced PCB's) at http://www.muzique.com . The AMZ Mosfet is a great sounding booster with a high input impedance, full rich sound, and in most peoples opinions, a better "design" than the SHO...plus its not hard to build, especially if you purchase a PCB !

Keep the LPB, and build the Mosfet Boost. Remember, "2 pedals are better than one" ! :)

wavey63
Information

Post by wavey63 »

Thanks morecowbell.I am actually keeping the LPB as is and building a Rangemaster treble boost clone. I agree though, 2 is alway better than one...in some cases! he he he

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

wavey63 wrote:Thanks morecowbell.I am actually keeping the LPB as is and building a Rangemaster treble boost clone. I agree though, 2 is alway better than one...in some cases! he he he
Just a note...

The Rangemaster wont give you "clarity" or "uncolored sound" either. Theyre GREAT for driving tube amps harder into saturation though. Essentially a rangemaster is the germanium version of a LPB, but with less low end. Same low impedance, same basic circuit, etc.

Anyway, I digress...have fun...RM's are cool circuits....

wavey63
Information

Post by wavey63 »

I see... So I guess I will just use the build as an educational experiment.Any books you recommend on theory and info on mods and circuits of pedals...or just get lots of solder iron tips and have fun?

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

wavey63 wrote:I see... So I guess I will just use the build as an educational experiment.Any books you recommend on theory and info on mods and circuits of pedals...or just get lots of solder iron tips and have fun?
A little of both. Theres lots of basic building and modding info in the https://www.diystompboxes.com WIKI ...and theres a ton of info here as well !

hottwatts
Information

Post by hottwatts »

MoreCowbell wrote:
wavey63 wrote:Thanks morecowbell.I am actually keeping the LPB as is and building a Rangemaster treble boost clone. I agree though, 2 is alway better than one...in some cases! he he he
Just a note...

The Rangemaster wont give you "clarity" or "uncolored sound" either. Theyre GREAT for driving tube amps harder into saturation though. Essentially a rangemaster is the germanium version of a LPB, but with less low end. Same low impedance, same basic circuit, etc.

Umm... Isn't an LPB the Si version of the Rangemaster?

And a RM into a trebly amp, like sme Fenders, is not a pleasant experience! [smilie=a_happyhappy.gif]
This has been David speaking.

--==--

hottwatts sex up your sound.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

hottwatts wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:
Just a note...

And a RM into a trebly amp, like sme Fenders, is not a pleasant experience! [smilie=a_happyhappy.gif]
either way...doesnt matter which came first with regards to this discussion...they are similar circuits, so I was simply pointing out that he won't get what he's looking for by building a RM.

:roll:

hottwatts
Information

Post by hottwatts »

MoreCowbell wrote:
hottwatts wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:
Just a note...

either way...doesnt matter which came first with regards to this discussion...they are similar circuits, so I was simply pointing out that he won't get what he's looking for by building a RM.

:roll:
Thanks for the ":roll:" Andrew, I didn't mean to offend you with the facts. I won't bother any more.
This has been David speaking.

--==--

hottwatts sex up your sound.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/dia ... _sc_pp.gif

Change input cap,
Add pot on collector,
add electrolyte on the emitter,

(but mind polarity, RM is positive ground in that schematic)

And try! But you chould experiment on breadboard for such a tine circuit...or use perfboard, it will be much faster than dismantling the LPB

anyway have fun
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal