Behringer FCV-100 Volume Pedal

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
Jazzboxuz
Information

Post by Jazzboxuz »

Picking up a cheap Behringer fcv100 volume pedal next week. I'm familiar with Behringer, and I know what sort of quality (or lack thereof) I can expect... It seemed like it could be a fun pedal to pimp out. Anybody have any experience with these? Any mod ideas?

Jazzboxuz
Information

Post by Jazzboxuz »

Jazzboxuz
Information

Post by Jazzboxuz »

So I've been thinking about what I can do with this... Since this is a stereo volume/exp pedal with 2 ins and 2 outs, would I be able to wire it to be a "blend" pedal? with heel side being 100% input 1 and toe side being 100% input 2? I thought this might be cool for blending two separate signal chains into the pedal, then summing the outputs from the pedal into one output. Any input would be greatly appreciated... I don't have the pedal yet, I'm getting it on monday. I will post gut shots as soon as possible for anyone interested in this topic.

Anyone know of a schematic for this pedal btw?

scoop
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by scoop »

Ive had my eyes on this same thing! Say what you will about behringer, I sortof want cheap gear like this for live. Its tragic when the ernie ball pedal breaks but the behringer I imagine I'll buy another.

scoop
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by scoop »

oh yes the second output can be switched to CV, where does that come in handy other than moog pedals? Is it as a simple as adding voltage to the LED in my LDR pedals?

pz
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by pz »

This is the main PCB used in FCV100. It's partially disassembled.
fv100-1.jpg
fv100-2.jpg
IC2 = TL064
the main chip is a stereo volume controller: M5241L (datasheet).
A friend asked me once to make this pedal send MIDI CC commands. I removed the original pcb and installed my own.
As you can see on this photo, using the pedal while standing up is not the safest thing on this planet:
fv100mod2.jpg
fv100mod2.jpg (35.08 KiB) Viewed 4973 times

Jazzboxuz
Information

Post by Jazzboxuz »

Awesome thank you for the pics! and yeah, that's an intense angle :scratch: I think I may wind up gutting the pedal myself and doing something similar to what darren did here: http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-g ... pedal.html

this should be a fun project so i'll keep you all updated on my progress with it. Thanks again for the input and info!

sranauta
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YCV40

Post by sranauta »

Hello,

My first post here

I have this pedal and it worked fine for the stereo line out from a synth module to a PA which is what I bought it for originally

However when I use it for guitar there is tone and volume loss compared with the straight thru signal

I know that you can add a high pass capacitor to guitars to work around loss of treble when the volume control is turned down.

Would it be possible to do a mod to the FCV100 to similarly offset the loss of tone?

Just tried it again and with the line out from a Line6POD(a guitar effects module) going into the CV100 and then to the amp - no tone loss works beautifully

But with guitar going into FCV100 and then to amp - its as if the volume has been turned down a bit and the high tone disappears.

Any suggestions please.

I can try putting something like an EQ pedal in before the FCV100 but would be nice if I could do a mod to the FCV100 so it works right with a guitar going straight in.

I can take the FCV100 apart no problem - am fine with mechanical changes and soldering - but not too clued up as to what would be needed electronically

Thanks

sranauta
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YCV40

Post by sranauta »

Further info
Found a very old Frontline overdrive pedal on the shelf gathering dust - plugged it in between guitar and FCV100 and magic - with the overdrive effect off the signal is still passing thru the frontline electronics and there appears to be a match between the output and the FCV100 :D

Some background
I am trying to put together a minimalist package for an upcoming gig in a small church - so it will be my mongrel 'Fender' Strat - (beautiful neck from an early Chinese copy glued to an unknown strat type body off of Ebay (its heavy) with two lace sensor pickups and an orginal Gibson PAF humbucker) , and Fender Mustang I amp , with the FCV100 and the Frontline in between. On stage the Mustang will be micd up thru the PA.
There isn't a sound I can't get out of that Mustang I - a great little amp for $99
Perfect - no need for a roadie :D
Thanks

Mugshot
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Mugshot »

anyone got schematics for this thing? planning of getting one to use to control the expression output of a boss ps-3.
signatures are for the weak.
FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps
Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

[smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif]
Attachments
FCV100.pdf
Behringer FCV100 schematic
(417.85 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

I have a dead one of these in the junk box somewhere which arrived dead.
If I recall it had a different chip, *Cool Audio* is all I remember.
It's some kind of *current controller chip* where I assume the pot indirectly controls the level. The other 2 chips are TL074 which seem to be wired as buffers.

I did a search and stumbled upon a chap who mentioned there is a design flaw in that chip.
Something along the lines of; If ground is momentary broken while positive potential is still present the chip burns out in a blink. I decided it's likely not worth trying to fix as it may simply blow again. :roll:

The owner asked if it was worth wiring up as an old style passive volume pedal but the actual pedal mechanism does not allow full 270 Deg rotation of the pot which means I'd have to redesign a whole new setup. For me it's just not worth the bother as it would be more cost effective to buy a better pedal.
IME, Some Behringer stuff seems to work fine while other gear,, it's a lottery [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

Phil.

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

modman wrote:[smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif]
Modman, thanks for the schematic ! :D

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

clintrubber wrote:
modman wrote:[smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif]
Modman, thanks for the schematic ! :D
:hug: :secret: but please use the thanks function in order to keep threads readable in the long run
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

Had looked for that, but didn't see any way to... Feeling silly, and sorry for further pollution, but still haven't located it. Too bad, let's move on, thanks again for the sch ;-)

emmepicsd
Information

Post by emmepicsd »

Thanks for schematic!
I was looking for.

jones12ax7
Information

Post by jones12ax7 »

This is quite old, but I'll post for reference.

I guess the loss of tone is due its relatively low input impedance of 300k (according the manual). I think one can workaround it by changing the 330k R12 and R13 resistors to 1MOhm.
I'll buy one of these next week to play with and post the results here.
Also, I suggest reading this page of Pete Cornish site.

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_again ... ypass.html

Jonathan
sranauta wrote:Hello,

My first post here

I have this pedal and it worked fine for the stereo line out from a synth module to a PA which is what I bought it for originally

However when I use it for guitar there is tone and volume loss compared with the straight thru signal

I know that you can add a high pass capacitor to guitars to work around loss of treble when the volume control is turned down.

Would it be possible to do a mod to the FCV100 to similarly offset the loss of tone?

Just tried it again and with the line out from a Line6POD(a guitar effects module) going into the CV100 and then to the amp - no tone loss works beautifully

But with guitar going into FCV100 and then to amp - its as if the volume has been turned down a bit and the high tone disappears.

Any suggestions please.

I can try putting something like an EQ pedal in before the FCV100 but would be nice if I could do a mod to the FCV100 so it works right with a guitar going straight in.

I can take the FCV100 apart no problem - am fine with mechanical changes and soldering - but not too clued up as to what would be needed electronically

Thanks

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

jones12ax7 wrote:This is quite old, but I'll post for reference.

I guess the loss of tone is due its relatively low input impedance of 300k (according the manual). I think one can workaround it by changing the 330k R12 and R13 resistors to 1MOhm.
Hi,

As it was described, it won't work to raise the input impedance.

Note that the input impedance is mainly determined by R14 & R19: 10k each. So increasing the 330k resistors won't help.

Instead, you could increase these R14 & R19 to 1M. But you'd need to increase R18 & R27 as well to 1M. (And increase R12 & R13 to say 4M7).

An alternative is to keep the FCV100 unmodified, and use a buffer in front. (say the usual Boss pedal in bypass)

Bye

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

Speaking of the FCV100, I was surprised to notice crackling when operating the pedal.
Thought this wouldn't happen with a pedal that uses VCA's for the volume control, but it did crackle...

Looking at the schematic, R26, R28, C6 are filtering the wiper of the controlling pot VR2B... and R23, R22, C16 as well... so as it happens it's still possible to let a scratchy VR2B result in unwanted noises...