Poll: Most widespreaded and unused Boss/DOD/Ibanez pedal

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

I am interested to get some information about the Boss/DOD/Ibanez pedals everybody has and doesn´t use (or sell).

They would be good canditates for a new life as a boutique clone (since in the most boutique pedal are far less components than in these pedals)

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

swt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by swt »

maybe a little ot but if i have to clone something that would be the old amdek series of pedals. They sound terrific. i have the chorus, flanger, phaser and delay if you want photos to trace. The dod flanger and envelope filters are also great, and the ph5 from ibanez is really vocal.
is this what you were asking??. don't know but might help...

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Amdek is something special.
This were the DIY-Boss-Pedals of the 80`s.

The Amdek Octaver is identical to the Boss OC-2.
Same with the Percussion synth and the Handclapper.
So I assume the Flanger will be identical to the BF-2.
The Chorus identical to the CE-2.....

PH-5 is nearly identical to the PT-9.

But guts are always interesting....

I am asking about things like the Ibanez TM-5..... I have 5 of them now.... for less than $15,-- each....

It musst sound like shit that people are selling them and there seems a lot of them around....

It is a good candidate to get "ratified"..... which should make this pedal sound not so ugly and more desirable...

I think a lot of "unwanted" DOD-stuff should also be around.....

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

swt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by swt »

ahh i know what you mean. i live in patagonia argentina and i'm buying all the dod stuff i can. they are great sounding pedals, with a clumsy switching. Never care about distortion much, because i build mine, but mods, envelopes, and others are really good.
regarding the amdeks...i think they sound way better than any boss pedals. and are different, mainly because of the bbds they have. Will take pics and send them to you so i can have your opinion. The phaser is a 4 stages fet driven one, but the resonance is great. better than the boss...similar to the ph1r though, but not as plastic or compressed sounding. the chorus reminds me my ce1, and the flanger is really airy, not robot sounding like the bf2.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Aha - Amdek - I remember them well - in fact i have photocopies of instruction manuals and schematics for a few of them including the chorus and small mixer etc.
Around the same time the Grunthauser clones appeared - not kitsets like the Amdek, but clones of the boss overdrive and chorus pedals - I bought two of them - since sold unfortunately - theier distinguishing feature was a plastic instead of the usual die cast case :wink:
Those grunthausers sounded just like the boss copies :lol: :lol:
I may be able to get a photo of the chorus if any one is interested :wink:
cheers
bajamajaman

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

"Plastic-Boss" reminds me to the PSK-Pedals:

http://files.muziq.be/pics/psk_scr-2_001.jpg

I have some of them... nice for "prototyping"....

analogguru

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

PSK-Pedals:
I think they were the same as the Grunthauser :wink:
cheers
bajaman

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

The DOD FX-56 American Metal gets no love at all, but I think it's an interesting circuit and can easily be pushed into a fuzz tone. I believe there are certain aspects of that circuit (and its twin sister, the Boss HM-2) that would be very much usable for an interesting bootweak variation. The series Ge diode clippers are something to take note of. Gus Smalley knows what that's about and I agree with him that there's something happening there that lends a certain character to the circuit that you don't see in others.

I've been collecting schematics of all the different "metal" distortions I can find to see how many of them have this in common. I've seen it in numerous circuits now.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

I have a boss PW-2 power driver that sounds very bad..I don't know why but it has the abilty of get lost in the mix, plus it has this horrible eq section with two knobs, muscle and fat.. :roll:

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

AG.....

why do you ask this question?? Everybody knows the answer. The (by far) most sold Boss pedal is the bloody MetalZone. Everybody seems to have owned one aqnd loved it till they carried it on stage for the first time. The metalzone is perfect.... for bedroom metal.... not for stage use.

And convert those trashmetals (I "only" have 3) to Rat's and they're a lot more usable.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I saw a Grunthauser at a friend's place - it has PSL on the rubber footswitch pad in the same lettering as the PSK pedal that AG posted a picture of.
Just like 2001 a space addysey, where IBM became HAL (move one letter backwards - I becomes H etc.)
more useless information for all here :lol: :lol:
bajaman

AL
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AL »

I have a Boss HM2. It was marginally entertaining to use it on bass occasionally. But wow was that thing just awful for guitar. Then again my "gain" consists of a tube screamer at about half.

AL

Hazrus
Information

Post by Hazrus »

I have a DOD death metal pedal that I don't use... because it sounds horrible. It's the one with the 3 band EQ and volume marked "Pain" "RIP" "Guts" and "Scream" :mrgreen:

Maybe this could be a canvas for some interesting mods?

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vintage Twins

Post by Brian M »

I have an old DOD FX series chorus pedal that i think sounds good... unfortunately it totally kills your guitar signal in bypass.

I actually thought the DOD grunge pedals were cool, but sold mine years ago. I tried one of the newer ones. not sure if my tastes have changed, or the circuit changed, but it didnt seem to sound quite as nice.