Behringer - Hellbabe Wah

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

That's great, I'm glad you were successful (and that you liked the difference it made)...mine sounded good, when new too...but it's so much better sounding now :wink: . Also...I widened the larger end of the "triangle" as well...although, it didn't improve the sound as much as lengthening it did. You can also slightly lengthen the other (larger) "triangle", to make the wah turn on the second your foot's on the pedal...it doesn't take much of an increase, to make that mod work (so just shave off a very small amount). :mrgreen:

motociclante
Information

Post by motociclante »

Thank you all for this useful post.
I've to say my story:
I bought an HB1 few years ago. Second hand.
Once I tested it I thought it was a cheap unit and maybe I wasn't able to use it fine.

Few days ago I bought a Dunlop Crybaby for a friend of mine and once tested it...I found it very nice and fully working compared to my Hellbabe.
Reading some posts on internet I make out that was my unit that was faulty so, I've found this post, I've opend my pedal and I've found that the LED and the photoresistor wasn't perfectly in line, facing each other.
So, I've putted them almost 100% alined and closed the enclosuer for a speed test: 100% working, not better just WORKING.

Thank you all.
Now, next step will be try to set even better the components alinements and try to test other LEDs (brighter, maybe).

Thank again.
Davide
Attachments
HB01_SCHEMATICS_REV_C.pdf
Behringer Hell Babe Schematic
(427.75 KiB) Downloaded 494 times

guibz
Information

Post by guibz »

So someone can help me?
I want to mod my hell babe to make it true bypass, really. What should i change inside? and someone changed the componments for the frequence response?
Sorry for my mistakes i'm french

Paul_5
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Paul_5 »

BAMF wrote:I wonder what will happen if we replace L1 with a Fasel inductor ? Hmmm...anyone thought about that and tried it already ? :-D
Using the formula for calculating the frequency f = 1/2π(√LC) where C is an 8.2 nf cap, and the Fasel inductor is 510mH then I get the frequency to be 2461Hz.

It's already been mentioned that the standard frequency of the Behringer is 1859Hz, and the Crybaby is 2292Hz, so the 'pedal down' resonant peak will be higher, and probably a bit more 'biting', particularly with the 6 position switch in its most trebly setting.

Some folks might ,like this.

I might experiment with this, though I paid more for my Fasel than I did for my Hellbabe...
The sounds in my head don't match the sounds from my amp, I guess that's why I'm here...

Yoburgs
Information

Post by Yoburgs »

Heres my MOD, notice the slim slope turning to a full circle at the end - this mode will make your HB01 roar and open wide as it permits the full light of the LED to hit the wah Sensor. This also starts the wah action as soon as you step on it - unlike the factory which powered the unit as soon as you step on it but only engages the wah mid throttle which wastes the pedal travel which is about an inch or so. Hope this Helps.
Attachments
Thinner Toe snubber
Thinner Toe snubber
yoburgs hb01 mod b.PNG (227.04 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
The COMET cut
The COMET cut
yoburgs hb01 mod a.PNG (438.61 KiB) Viewed 1305 times

SpudMurphy
Information

Post by SpudMurphy »

I bought one in 2023 and still it has a sweep problem ffs!
Rather than cutting the cardboard openings, I'm going to try raising the PCB that the LEDs are fitted to, thereby raising it.
Last edited by SpudMurphy on 15 Feb 2024, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

SpudMurphy
Information

Post by SpudMurphy »

InTelejens wrote: 01 Mar 2011, 01:42 Hi, I just recently acquired one of these pedals and it makes a popping noise when the effect is engaged.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this problem?
A bit late I know, I had the same problem with mine bought in 2023.
Underneath, on the footplate is a hole enabling you to alter the Bypass timer adjust.
I just gave it a very slight delay, and this cured the annoying popping sound. I almost sent mine back as it was so bad. The slight delay, cured this problem. The sweep, however is pathetic, and it's muddy. The 100pf capacitor mod mentioned later may cure this?

TBH, a bit pissed off with this pedal out of the box.
Last edited by SpudMurphy on 15 Feb 2024, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

SpudMurphy
Information

Post by SpudMurphy »

I used one thick washer on the pcb screw nearest to the heel down.
When I used a washer on the other screw, nearest to the multiplug, the the wah was on all the time, so I took that out. - This proves that very little modification needs doing to the larger slot opening.

SpudMurphy
Information

Post by SpudMurphy »

Yoburgs wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 14:15 Heres my MOD, notice the slim slope turning to a full circle at the end - this mode will make your HB01 roar and open wide as it permits the full light of the LED to hit the wah Sensor. This also starts the wah action as soon as you step on it - unlike the factory which powered the unit as soon as you step on it but only engages the wah mid throttle which wastes the pedal travel which is about an inch or so. Hope this Helps.
Nice... but how the heck did you remove the pedal from the base unit?

badapplerob
Information

Post by badapplerob »

Hi there. Very interesting thread. Just got a Hell babe and the sweep seriously needs modding! Couple of Q's. How do you take the pedal off the enclosure to access the light slits so you are free to cut it? And how do you cut it? Thanks