Joyo - Extreme Metal

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
Threetoe
Information

Post by Threetoe »

Hey guys I'm looking to mod my joyo extreme metal so I can either add a seperate knob for the boost channel to controll volume and treble boost seperetly, or take away some treble or add bass. It's almost unusable as is. Anyone found a solution yet?
Thanks
Jesse.

Threetoe
Information

Post by Threetoe »

To clarify, I've never modded a pedal so I'm realy not sure what I'm doing or anything. I'd really like to get into pedal modding, I do have experience with soldering so any tips or points would be great. Would something like adding a resistor to the boost to add bass or something work?

greenskull
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by greenskull »

Sorry to see you have not had a response, but a schematic will be needed before you can get help, I think. Maybe at least board shots will get someone to chime in.
fuck smooth tone, fuck eric johnson - Seiche

marmaliser
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by marmaliser »

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

One side of the board is missing, nothing can be traced out of this !
I only give negative feedback.

GizmoGardens
Information

Post by GizmoGardens »

Threetoe wrote:To clarify, I've never modded a pedal so I'm realy not sure what I'm doing or anything. I'd really like to get into pedal modding, I do have experience with soldering so any tips or points would be great. Would something like adding a resistor to the boost to add bass or something work?
If you've never modded a pedal, this may not be the one to start with. How comfortable are you with soldering SMT components? It's not fun and it's pretty easy to ruin whatever it is that you're working on. Try starting with an Ibanez TS5. You can buy one for $30 bucks, or so, they don't have a lot of components, and there's a lot of documentation on modding them. That's what I started with.

snabero666
Information

Post by snabero666 »

Good day forumite,

Here's a mod that you can apply to extreme metal with great result. Extreme has the same distortion circuit with metal muff and boss mt2.So I try the mt2 no nasal sound mod. removing two capacitors C2 and C10 using cutter or nail puller.

here is some sound sample

the distortion will be dynamic and its more marshall with great bass. the boost now makes the mid more pronounce or making it metal but still dynamic. This mod can be used at metal muff.

snabero666
Information

Post by snabero666 »

Good day forumite,

Here's a mod that you can apply to extreme metal with great result. Extreme has the same distortion circuit with metal muff and boss mt2.So I try the mt2 no nasal sound mod. removing two capacitors C2 and C10 using cutter or nail puller.

here is some sound sample

the distortion will be dynamic and its more marshall with great bass. the boost now makes the mid more pronounce or making it metal but still dynamic. This mod can be used at metal muff.

tcpoint
Information

Post by tcpoint »

The technique that I use to remove smd resistors and capacitors is to melt the solder on side of the component and then melt the other side really fast and then alternate heat on both sides rather quickly. It doesn't take long for the component to come off. Then I use desoldering braid to clean up the remain solder.

servantadvocate
Information

Post by servantadvocate »

I am completely new to modding pedals. I attempted to do this and now the pedal doesn't turn on. did I screw something up? nothing is removed but these two capacitors. any tips on fixing this? and yes I had the pedal hooked up to a guitar and amp when trying this. other joyo pedal I have powered on.