Lets get the TSs done!

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
Igloo
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Igloo »

Well I suppose we had better start by listing all the cheap TSs and everything that is make-able out of them...
A bit later I'll list the Landgraff parts changes. Bit busy now

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

DigiTech Bad Monkey

TS808 mods are possible, R52 is the shunt resistor and C32 is the coupling cap after the output buffer transistor Q9. There is no series resistor, but one can be added. The signal forks after Q9 into the coupling cap (normal output) and the amp sim ouput.

D2 is a surface mount dual diode combo. Replace this with clipping diode combinations of your choice. The TS808 mods (to my ears) are subtle. Even removing R52 completely sounded pretty much the same.

It's mostly SMD but can be modded. Bajaman helped me mod mine - as I don't have the patience or skill.

pedalnut
Information

Post by pedalnut »

is there a mod to make a bad monkey a landgraff?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Bad Monkey has lots of SMD components - PM me if you would like the schematic.
Cheers
bajaman

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

bajaman wrote:Bad Monkey has lots of SMD components - PM me if you would like the schematic.
Cheers
bajaman

Hi Bajaman,

Post from a long time ago, but if you read this, yes please, would love to see that schematic.

PM'd you.

Thanks

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

clintrubber wrote:
bajaman wrote:Bad Monkey has lots of SMD components - PM me if you would like the schematic.
Cheers
bajaman
[...]
Post from a long time ago, but if you read this, yes please, would love to see that schematic.
[...]
+1
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

blupup8
Information

Post by blupup8 »

I have one called Ashton TO30 Tube Overdrive. It's a TS without any clipping diodes. I put a Burr Brown OPA2134 IC in mine instead of the stock 4558. I run it with the gain on min, the tone on max, and the level at 12 o'clock. It makes a fantastic booster. It's all normal type components and easy as pie to work on since the jacks are not board mounted, and everything unplugs off the circuit board. I converted it to true bypass. It's a great pedal and it cost me AU$39 before mods. There is a Nady branded version called the TS30. :thumbsup

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

they look like a great pedal. are the boxes metal?

blupup8
Information

Post by blupup8 »

theblackman wrote:they look like a great pedal. are the boxes metal?
Yes metal, sort of shaped like a foot. Here's a link to the product page.

http://www.ashtonmusic.com.au/productli ... CatID=1094

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

Thanks for posting the Ashton/Nady guts.

Good to hear the case-top is metal as well. I just bought the purple Nady version.

Hey that's surprising, the metal switch and not being true bypass. OK, it'll be a simpler switch then... just a SPST-push type? Is there enough room for a 3PDT ?

Thanks!

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

Received the purple Nady version, so I can answer a few of my own questions now :lol:

Some observations, FWIW:

* The stompswitch is indeed an unlatching type (on which the circuitry at the lower left corner of the PCB already hinted actually)

* They use a cumbersome internal bracket to mount the pots, instead of simply using nuts for the pots.

* The Nady version also uses the 4558 opamp.

* The manual is both not needed as well as didn't have any proofreading before it went to the printer. Doesn't matter, just a bit remarkable, since the rest of the package is well done (mine came complete in orig box).

* I'd say it sounds not very usable for a slight mild clean boost... even with the drive @ min, there's already a lot of gain (but could obviously be easily fixed). So am a bit surprised blupup8 could use it as a nice boost, but perhaps the gain-setting resistor was changed as well.

* It's a larger case than I expected, which is welcomed. I like the metal jacks. Quite some internal space available. I figure my 'plan B' will indeed happen (actually I do not need another TS-style circuit, but could use a funny case like this to put another circuit in :P )

Bye