Dunlop Fuzz Face

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Okay, here's one: I replaced the crummy 2.2uF Tantalum coupling cap on the input of my Dunlop Reissue Fuzz Face with a high-quality 1uF Polyester film cap. It made a noticeable difference and I highly recommend it to anyone who owns a Dunlop FF. There is a much "richer" harmonic content now and the overall "feel" is greatly improved.

I think it's a good idea to replace Tantalum caps whenever I see them used for coupling - they're not kind to audio signals. I also like to replace polarized electrolytics any time I see them used for coupling too, but isn't as "crucial" of an upgrade to me as replacing tantalums.

Any more suggestions for the Reissue Fuzz Face?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I never have liked tantalums - don't ask me why :lol:
But I seem to recall that they work well at low dc voltages particularly in power amp feedback loops etc.
I cannot see how they would be beneficial as coupling capacitors - especially with 4.5 volt half rail volts - if you must use one bypass it with a high quality film capacitor - you will hear a difference.
bajaman