Joyo JF-04 High Gain Distortion: Shredmaster bass controlmod

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

joyo jf-04 high gain distortion - mod to restore marshall shredmaster bass control.

according to analogguru, the joyo jf-04 is based on a marshall shredmaster with fixed (omitted knob) bass control.
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 20#p171959

so am opening this pimp-my-cheap-pedal thread specifically dedicated to reinstating (or attempting to) this bass control.

having checked out the schematic http://www.matsumin.net/diy/jisaku1/shr ... ompenh.gif , and had quick look inside mine and at the unboxed gutshots posted here by grrrunge https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 20#p171920 (proper components, no sm scabs, solid board that can withstand a little modding), my instinct is that there is a pretty straightforward way of patching that bass pot back in to the circuit, which i’d like to do to see how much more i like this little beastie the closer i mod it up to shredmaster specs.

have scoured the interwebs over the weekend in pursuit of guiding info, i found some interesting posts re potential caps subs at tdpri http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/32 ... box-2.html (thanks chaps) which i can cope with (and will explore after this mod). suitable alternative diode subs are also suggested, which i can also do without headaches. but found nothing at all re reinstating that bass control.
tbh i would have thought would have been one of the first mods explored for it, since these joyos (solid and reliable) can be picked up for no money any day of the week, while an original shredmaster will set you back £100.

so decided to take this one on. with a little help from anyone here who has an interest in seeing this one put into practice?

using the shredmaster schematic for reference (if anyone has a schematic for the jf-04 specifically i’d really like to see it) i have whipped up a little diagram to show what i intend to do re patching in a bass control to give the joyo the basic shredmaster tonestack:
shredmaster schematic excerpt for bass control mod to joyo jf-04.jpg
but have two questions i’d like to ask before i commit to the iron

1. does it matter which vref i connect the pot back into?

2. can i irretrievably burn out anything important by trying this out? ICs aren’t socketed so not easy to remove to protect from heat. but can heatsink if that is an issue.

basically i’m acting as if the shredmaster schematic were the joyos, but the joyo has three chips (and i’m not entirely sure what the third does) so i am winging it a bit. but this seems a pretty straightforward intervention. just slipping a tonestack (a scoop of sorts) between clipping and gain stages. i don’t fancy myself as being wise about these things but is seems straightforward to my rudimentary understanding.

having successfully performed the cap rotation to my joyo voodoo/ultimate overdrive (foxx tone machine clone), i feel pretty confident about experimenting with joyos and this seems a basic mod. am i an idiot?

thanks,
tabbycat.

howmuch
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by howmuch »

You've probably sorted this by now, but in case you haven't...
(bear in mind I don't have one myself, so I'm working blind here)
tabbycat wrote:1. does it matter which vref i connect the pot back into?
You won't be connecting the bass pot to Vref.
All the components you circled in your schematic should already be in the Joyo. This is the ubiquitous FMV amp tonestack.
The tdpri thread says that the Joyo has a 68k resistor instead of a 100k log pot in the VR4 position. So just remove the resistor and add a pot in its place.
tabbycat wrote:2. can i irretrievably burn out anything important by trying this out? ICs aren’t socketed so not easy to remove to protect from heat. but can heatsink if that is an issue.
If where you are sticking your iron isn't near the chips, you should be OK. Never hurts to take precautions though.

Be great if you could trace out the schematic.
If you're not comfortable doing that, you could just draw out the components and traces. I've found that you can't always assume that a Joyo will be an accurate copy of a certain pedal (UD).
And I wish they wouldn't keep using linear pots where log pots should be. Logs would make the pedals so much easier to dial in.

If you want to play with the values in the tonestack, download Duncan amps Tone Stack Calculator, choose the Marshall, and change values and sliders.
R.I.P. Burke Shelley, from one of my favourite (and much underrated) bands - Budgie
Their songs have been covered by Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Soundgarden, Metallica and more.
If you don't know how HEAVY this band was in the 70s, check Breadfan out.

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

howmuch wrote:You've probably sorted this by now, but in case you haven't...
hey howmuch, many thanks for the feedback. not a 'thank you' button in this thread for some reason, but your comment is much appreciated.

re having this done and dusted... you know me so well already. not 'finished' exactly, or even at all. in my usual half-arsed way (working on a hundred different things at the same time with christmas in the middle) i've had the 'mini tone stack' circuit (outlined in red above) pinned into my breadboard for a month now, sat idly next to the unopened pedal. a question of dread and 'time-management' preventing me from digging around in it to 'install' the proposed mod.
but your comment above is timely and now makes me think that i should have a good look around inside for what you are proposing (with reference to the tdpri thread you mention, i think that's the one where i first read up on all this) before i heat up the iron. possibly this evening, now you've flagged it up. but sounds both curious and promising if the case. and would simplify things dramatically.

re the tracing, have had 'a recent bad experience' at failing miserably and publicly (https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 11&t=24995) in attempting to trace a board. was bursting with enthusiasm and goodwill and a little understanding of less cluttered landscapes, but apart from naming a few obviously named bits i was only saved by some generous members here taking a moment to point out what was where. i was clueless, hands up. and though the joyos are a lot more spread out than the behringers, and use real bits, i'm off tracing for the moment due to that. traumatised.

but if the insides of mine are different from the ones already posted here in this thread...
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 20#p171920
i will definitely post for reference. that i can do.
i usually take and post photos of any mods i attempt anyway, for future modder's reference here. it's also a good habit to get into to always have a reference of how things were to begin with, before 'getting involved'.

will check out the tonestack info. i like the shredmaster original tone so want to mod as close to that as a quick cheap mod or two will make worthwhile.

thanks again for advice and will post back here asap.

tabbycat.

howmuch
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by howmuch »

Thinking about that third op-amp in the Joyo, I wonder if this pedal is actually a "cut down" Marshall Jackhammer rather than a Shredmaster.
Basically, the Jackhammer is a lot like the Shredmaster, but with an extra op-amp and mode switch.
It obviously doesn't have the switch or clipping LEDs, so it could be configured for the Jackhammer's DIST mode only.
And probably the FREQ is fixed (as well as the Bass).
Anyone have the Joyo, and can check the circuit against the Jackhammer's?
http://www.6v6power.ru/inf/Distortion/M ... hammer.jpg
R.I.P. Burke Shelley, from one of my favourite (and much underrated) bands - Budgie
Their songs have been covered by Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Soundgarden, Metallica and more.

howmuch
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by howmuch »

howmuch wrote:Thinking about that third op-amp in the Joyo, I wonder if this pedal is actually a "cut down" Marshall Jackhammer rather than a Shredmaster.
Responding to myself - I've read on tdpri that it's based on a Jekyll & Hyde - Hyde. That has an extra op-amp gain stage at the input, so maybe that's what the Joyo's third op-amp is doing?

@tabbycat - have you added your bass control yet?

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

howmuch wrote:
howmuch wrote:Thinking about that third op-amp in the Joyo, I wonder if this pedal is actually a "cut down" Marshall Jackhammer rather than a Shredmaster.
Responding to myself - I've read on tdpri that it's based on a Jekyll & Hyde - Hyde. That has an extra op-amp gain stage at the input, so maybe that's what the Joyo's third op-amp is doing?

@tabbycat - have you added your bass control yet?
hey howmuch,

re the jeckyll & hyde, hyde side, that's mentioned here too... https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 20#p172261

re adding the little tone stack mod i was going to add, you put me off the idea when you said this:
howmuch wrote:You won't be connecting the bass pot to Vref.
All the components you circled in your schematic should already be in the Joyo. This is the ubiquitous FMV amp tonestack.
The tdpri thread says that the Joyo has a 68k resistor instead of a 100k log pot in the VR4 position. So just remove the resistor and add a pot in its place.
that idea sounded eminently more fanciable so was going to investigate that first, at the same time comparing the layout to the shredmaster and jackhammer schems. which i haven't done yet as i've been distracted by a couple of other projects, but they will hopefully be soldered this evening. so may do that grand opening tomorrow.
because i'm fairly rubbish at tracing pcbs but ok at photoshop i may take some front-back gut shots, blend them into a composite and post them here with mention of what sense i can make of it. and if anyone can do better than me with that info they are welcome. vero layouts and schems i can deal with but pcbs always go weird tubemap and double-sided which confuses me.

but the hyde-side thing has been mentioned and may be the one.

thanks for the update howmuch and i will be back before the weekend with pics and feedback.

tabbycat.

ps. having just read through the marshall shredmaster thread here re shred-jeckyll relations and mods. i wonder which...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3208&start=20

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

plot thickens. "now it's dark..." (frank booth).

well howmuch, i decided to bite the bullet and get in and discovered that my jf-04 is a completely diffferent design to the two posted in the other thread (where it is reckoned to be, by noble sources, somewhere between a shredmaster minus bass control and a jeckyll and hyde minus jeckyll). so what and where this is is anyones guess.

these are the best gut shots i could get of it.

main one is a composite of two halves (to minimise shadows).
joyo jf-04 high gain combo image.jpg
back of pcb is reversed in my pic so it can be immediately compared with the main component side.
joyo jf-04 high gain combo image reversed back pcb.jpg
blend is blendy, baby. one on top of the other.
joyo jf-04 high gain combo image blend pcb.jpg
Q1 tranny is bc170.

3x chips are RC4558P. working left to right looking at main board, 1st ic is dot down (south), 2nd and 3rd are dot up (north).

am tangibly shit at tracing but if you want any more info that i can read-off, just ask.

enjoy the spectacle.

tabbycat.

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

pot values are (working left to right looking at main board) gain b100k, treble b20k, mid b100k, volume b100k.

a weird thing i just noticed, screenprinted spaces left unfilled on my board for c10 (left bottom, comes off first ic) and c17 (middle top, comes off mid pot). maximum queerness...

howmuch
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by howmuch »

Nice pics. I can actually read some of the resistor values.
And if I'm reading them correctly, it looks like the missing C10 should be the 47p in the 2nd stage feedback and C17 should be the 100n in the Mid/Contour circuit. Does it sound quite bright?
Did you buy this second-hand? It looks like someone has already modded it by removing those caps.

There's a pattern here with the "Nov. 2009" and "2010.11.24" Joyo PCBs. My "2010.11.24" Joyo Ultimate Drive has the extra BS170 input buffer compared to the previous version. Mr Wong must have been a busy boy on that day in 2014. All marked November as well - interesting.

I'm thinking of getting one of these now.

Keep us posted on your mods. :popcorn:

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

howmuch wrote:Nice pics. I can actually read some of the resistor values.
And if I'm reading them correctly, it looks like the missing C10 should be the 47p in the 2nd stage feedback and C17 should be the 100n in the Mid/Contour circuit. Does it sound quite bright?
Did you buy this second-hand? It looks like someone has already modded it by removing those caps.
hey howmuch, thanks for the quick feedback.

am linking what you are saying to this shredmaster schematic...
C10 (missing) on my joyo board corresponds with C14 on this shred schemo (47p in the 2nd stage feedback)
and C17 (missing) on my joyo board corresponds with C12 on this shred schemo (100n in the Mid/Contour circuit).
am a relative newbie at schemo-to-board tracing so just trying to catch up.

it does sounds bright, bit too bright for my gutsy tastes (more chords than solos). hence my feeling that if joyo had plucked the bass control out of a shred clone i wanted it back in, if it was no trouble.

the pedal cost me £15 (equivalent swap for another cheapie). it came as-new in the box, looked untouched. person i swapped it with is a compulsive buy-to-try (then hide in a cupboard and never use) hoarder. just likes shiny new things. but he couldn't wire a plug if his life depended on it. if he bought a second-hand life-support machine from ebay and it didn't have a plug he'd be fucked (btw, what is the return policy on one of those? and who keeps their receipts for durex?).

anyway, i thought i could do something with it as it amused me on the day. i have a soft spot for the joyos because they are a lot of pedal for no money really. as parts (decent predrilled enclosure, 3pdt, 4x good pots, jacksockets, etc) it's ready to go if i want to stick something else in it. saves me £10 at least and much off-board fiddling. hate that off-board shit.

anyway, rambling. but interesting to link the board to the schemo. thanks for your pointers.

i definitely think you should get one. they are all over ebay for £15ish. new for £20 i think. used shredmasters £100ish.
if one of these and half-an-hour modding gets me 90% of the way there i'm happy. maybe i can make it into something i like better than a stock shred. it's all just putting certain bits in a certain order. have got the bits, just need to work out the order. apollo 13.
anyway, i did the cap rotation mod on the joyo voodoo octave which made it a killer period octave fuzz for pocket money. so now the jf-04 is getting the treatment.

actually i just checked that joyo pcb for a date and you will never guess...
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 78#p244414
howmuch wrote:There's a pattern here with the "Nov 2009" and "21014.11.24" Joyo PCBs. My "2014.11.24" Joyo Ultimate Drive has the extra BS170 input buffer compared to the previous version. Mr Wong must have been a busy boy on that day in 2014. All marked November as well - interesting.
i'm actually thinking of proposing a kickstarter film project called either 'the strange affair of mr/miss/mrs wong' or 'mr/miss/mrs wong's fabulous 24th', based on the imagined activities of the mysterious j wong on that miraculous and legendary day of the 24th november 2010.
black and white. subtitles. gratuitous bdsm scene to get the art students in. the jury at cannes will cream their jeans for it.

are you in for a fiver?

tabbycat.

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

last post a bit all over the place. focus. have a couple of questions i wanted to ask you, if i may.

a. many thanks for the pointers re the caps and shred schem. have posted what i understood you to mean (above). am i right?
b. do you think the original mods i proposed re the bass control are the way forward (having seen my pcb being different to previously considered layouts)?
c. re the misssing caps, it seems to be a new pedal, as far as i know and can see. clean solders, box unscathed. battery still in wrapper. do you think they could have been intentionally omitted during production for any reason?

howmuch
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by howmuch »

tabbycat wrote:C10 (missing) on my joyo board corresponds with C14 on this shred schemo (47p in the 2nd stage feedback)
and C17 (missing) on my joyo board corresponds with C12 on this shred schemo (100n in the Mid/Contour circuit).
am a relative newbie at schemo-to-board tracing so just trying to catch up.

it does sounds bright, bit too bright for my gutsy tastes (more chords than solos). hence my feeling that if joyo had plucked the bass control out of a shred clone i wanted it back in, if it was no trouble.
That's right.
If I was you, I'd put those caps in first to reduce the brightness.
A fixed bass resistor of 68k is like having a log A100k pot on about 8-9/10 - plenty of bass. The pot would be most useful to reduce bass.
Can't really tell on your pics (in shadow) but the 68k is probably the resistor below the treble pot's right leg.
It should sound like this
[youtube][youtube][/youtube][/youtube]

tabbycat wrote:it came as-new in the box, looked untouched.
tabbycat wrote:do you think they could have been intentionally omitted during production for any reason?
The reason I asked is because of what looks like soldering iron marks on the back of the PCB near C10.
It might well have come from the factory without the caps - it wouldn't surprise me. Probably not intentional though, just sloppy.
I like the value-for-money of the Joyos (cheaper/quicker than self-build) but only because I can check the circuits myself for mistakes.
So far (that I'm aware of):
JF-02 - diode wrong way round.
JF-12 - caps wrong way round and caps in wrong place.

*%^£ me, I've just noticed they make a valve amp :shock: . I wouldn't want to power that up without checking it over first, and a fire extinguisher handy.
I wouldn't want a 450V electrolytic reverse polarised.
tabbycat wrote:i'm actually thinking of proposing a kickstarter film project called either 'the strange affair of mr/miss/mrs wong' or 'mr/miss/mrs wong's fabulous 24th', based on the imagined activities of the mysterious j wong on that miraculous and legendary day of the 24th november 2010.
black and white. subtitles. gratuitous bdsm scene to get the art students in. the jury at cannes will cream their jeans for it.
Nice one. :applause:
Maybe they're no longer "designed" by J.Wong though - no sig. anymore. The plot does indeed thicken...
tabbycat wrote:are you in for a fiver?
How much!? I could buy 1/4 of a Joyo pedal for that. :)

Well, I've got one of these on the way now. Looking forward to it. :D

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

hey howmuch, have been distracted with my graphic fuzz mission.

for practice using my dmm i went through all the resistors in this last night, so have a value for everything. yet to get around to writing them into an image to post, but soon. and you were right about the 68k.

on the top row (immediately below the pots) there are two diodes (top left looking at it).
just before the diodes is a 22n, after the diodes is a 6.8k, 220n, 68k, 22n.
these components make up the treble control on the shred schematic, identical to the shredmaster treble layout with the 68k in place of the 100k bass pot (VR4 on shred schematic).
i swapped the 68k for two sockets so can experiemnt with a few things in there to see how that effects bass.

still working left to right, skip a resistor and you get the 'mid' section; left to right, 47n, 33k, 100n (mine is missing), 33k. again identical to the shredmaster schematic.
i put a 100n in but it's a big film one so actually sits above the level of the pots. will leave it for now while i experiement and then get something smaller in if i need to keep it there.

didn't have a 47p to replace the other missing cap, bit annoying. going to order a bargain bucket from the east because it's annoying to always be one component short of a circuit. a lot of it about apparently.
howmuch wrote:I like the value-for-money of the Joyos (cheaper/quicker than self-build) but only because I can check the circuits myself for mistakes.
So far (that I'm aware of):
JF-02 - diode wrong way round.
JF-12 - caps wrong way round and caps in wrong place.
i know what you mean. in a way the 'fuck-up-factor' almost makes them more intriguing. if you can crack the code a peach lies within. my joyo voodoo octave is one of my favourite pedals, for the sake of a cap rotation. so cheap too.
howmuch wrote:Well, I've got one of these on the way now. Looking forward to it. :D
have it arrived? i wonder if there has been another make-over of the pcb since 2011? are you the version with or without transistor?
will endeavour to transcribe all the resistor values and post them. but to date it is verbatim shredmaster less the VR4 bass pot, exactly as as analogguru noted, even though this pcb is different to the one that comment applied to.
so may be a case of translating known best shred mods to this layout. a true bypass shredmaster for £15. bizarre.

have you seen the cap substitutions an tdpri:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/32 ... box-2.html

i'm just a chancer with mods, play until i get something i like. but maybe you will be able to read off the proposed cap values, 'hear' the changes they suggest from experience, and be able to cherry pick the juiciest.
btw diodes come up as 620 on dmm, which in my experience (diodes one of the few areas where i have experience) suggests a pair of silicon 4148. do you think germaniums or leds on a switch would be an interesting addition?

this is is the tone i want, and better. blonde graemey always does a good vintage pedal demo. the settings sound the bees from around 4m45s for a minute or so. he's on fire.

damn 47p caps. fiddling small values. would a grain of brown rice do instead?

tabbycat.

howmuch
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by howmuch »

tabbycat wrote:have it arrived?
Seems to be on a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow boat from Singapore (Donnerdeal) :(

howmuch
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by howmuch »

tabbycat wrote:have it arrived?
Well my HGD finally arrived and I've been playing it for a bit now.
I think this is a fantastic pedal, extremely versatile - the best dirt pedal I've ever played.
I usually get fed up with new dirt pedals after a while and go back to just using my amp, but this one is really addictive.
tabbycat wrote:this is is the tone i want, and better. blonde graemey always does a good vintage pedal demo. the settings sound the bees from around 4m45s for a minute or so. he's on fire.
(NOTE: the MID works in the opposite direction to the Shredmaster - scoop is at 0 compared to the SM's 10.)
I'd say it excels for getting a 70s/80s rock/metal Marshall sound when put between a humbucker equipped guitar and a clean amp.
It's good for playing AC/DC, Budgie, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top, and maybe even some Van Halen (ballpark, not quite a variac'd Plexi).
Given the Radiohead connection, I had a go at the JG guitar part in "Creep", starting at the "ka-chunk", and that was in there too.
For quite a good fuzz tone try a strat neck pickup with guitar tone on 0, HGD on G=10,T=10,M=0, into a Univibe. Reminds me of the Isley Brothers' "Summer Breeze".
I think it's great at all gain settings from mild overdrive to crunch to pinch-harmonic-rich distortion.
tabbycat wrote:have you seen the cap substitutions an tdpri
I've read the thread but I really don't think this NEEDS any mods to sound good (for me). Extra options are a different matter.
tabbycat wrote:i wonder if there has been another make-over of the pcb since 2011? are you the version with or without transistor?
My circuit has the MOSFET input buffer that seems typical of the "2010.11.24" Joyos.
All caps present and correct. Seems like you were unlucky with yours. Have you put them in yet?
Here's a picture of mine for comparison.
tabbycat wrote:620 on dmm ... suggests a pair of silicon 4148. do you think germaniums or leds on a switch would be an interesting addition?
Thanks for the info on the diodes.
The Guv'nor is very similar up to the clipping diodes and it uses LEDs instead of the 1N4148s.
Be interesting to try some variations - you can never have too many options. Let us know how it goes.

And have you added a bass pot yet?

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

howmuch wrote:
tabbycat wrote:has it arrived?
Well my HGD finally arrived and I've been playing it for a bit now.
I think this is a fantastic pedal, extremely versatile - the best dirt pedal I've ever played.
I usually get fed up with new dirt pedals after a while and go back to just using my amp, but this one is really addictive...
Given the Radiohead connection, I had a go at the JG guitar part in "Creep", starting at the "ka-chunk", and that was in there too....
I think it's great at all gain settings from mild overdrive to crunch to pinch-harmonic-rich distortion.
hey howmauch, glad to hear you are made up with it. i haven't played around with it as much as you. i tried it out when i first got it and (caps withstanding) got instant 'creep' ka-chunk gain, like a hummer stalling at a zebra crossing, so decided to keep it on and see if i could fatten and darken it up with mods. which the cap replacements will hopefully go some way towards. but ka-chunk gain it has in buckets. though i don't really know what i will do with that as nothing i do (all original stuff) uses that style of fuzz. but maybe that's why i decided to keep it. will force me to go to places i don't already know.
howmuch wrote:
tabbycat wrote:have you seen the cap substitutions an tdpri
I've read the thread but I really don't think this NEEDS any mods to sound good (for me). Extra options are a different matter.
do you have anything in mind (including below)?
howmuch wrote:
tabbycat wrote:620 on dmm ... suggests a pair of silicon 4148. do you think germaniums or leds on a switch would be an interesting addition?
Thanks for the info on the diodes.
The Guv'nor is very similar up to the clipping diodes and it uses LEDs instead of the 1N4148s.
howmuch wrote:All caps present and correct. Seems like you were unlucky with yours. Have you put them in yet?
And have you added a bass pot yet?
it's all as should be now (bought a little red metal film cap to replace the 100n as the greencap i replaced it with stood taller than the pot caps, so wouldn't go back in the box). silicon for the little pf. and sockets for the bass pot, so if it doesn't do much i can easily put the 68k back in and not have to solder anything. but been preoccupied with other projects over the last month (octave fuzz month; blender, scrambler, dba harmonic transformer, all of which i still have to box) so it has slipped down my list. but will get there eventually.

many thanks for the schematic. will make matching it up with the pcb much easier than guessing with the shredmaster one for generations to come. will post back here with news once i've had a chance to road test the bass pot sub.

petrucci38
Information

Post by petrucci38 »

This is the result of this mod. I also changed the rc4558´s by opa2134´s