Arion Octave: worth modding? If so, suggestions?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
Compulsor
Information

Post by Compulsor »

I'm new(ish) to the whole electronics scene.
I've modded/repaired a few of my guitars, but pedal work mostly limited to repairs, with a few VERY basic mods; if you'd even call them that (clipping C6, etc).

Recently picked up the Arion Octave pedal, because it was about re only effect type I didn't own, it was cheap, and I though it was older/MIJ version.
It's not MIJ, MISL (Sri Lanka ?!), plastic, weak output, what is put-out sounds like poop, and it tracks like it sounds.

SO: is there anything that can be done to help improve: tone, tracking and output?
Sort of in that order, because if it's never going to sound any better, I don't care how loud it sounds bad, or applies bad sounds tied to each note.

If not, anything worth harvesting out of it for other mods/builds?

Or is eBay the best 'mod'?

Thanks,
"I got a letter from the government the other day,
I opened and read it, it said they were suckers..."

Compulsor
Information

Post by Compulsor »

Guess not...
How about layout-wise? Wondering if it's "based on" something more popular that there may be mods for that could be adapted here?
Thanks
"I got a letter from the government the other day,
I opened and read it, it said they were suckers..."

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

I don't know this one.... but as an educated guess it's similar to the Boss OC2, DOD Octoplus, pearl Octaver... and all other octavers that use a 4013 flipflop for octave division. And that couls be your mod-starting point.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

This is what you could do: take out the pcb and pots, take a few good gutshots using macro function on the camera, throw that for the fsb lions, get more than educated guesses (although going by DH's advice might give instant bull's eye), start modding with nothing but a crappy sound to lose. The money you would get from selling this on ebay will not pay for all the things you might learn trying to pimp this cheap pedal.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal