Small Clone Mix knob?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.

Small Clone Mix knob?

Postby ejendres » 06 Apr 2015, 17:28

Just picked up a small clone but I'd really like to be able to effect the mix. I don't need 100% to 100% wet control, but something along the lines of 30-70% wet would be nice. Any idea how to do that?

Also, if you do know how, could you also explain why it works? I have a limit understanding of electrical engineering and I love to learn more.

Thanks.
ejendres
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 03:02
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Small Clone Mix knob?

Postby Nocentelli » 06 Apr 2015, 18:01

Here is a schematic for the original small clone: http://www.tonepad.com/fpstuff/smallclone1024.gif

See the two resistors in the top right, 22k and 27k? These are the mixer resistors, giving a nearly equal blend of dry (through the 22k) and wet (through the 27k. If you replaced these two with a 50kB pot, with lug one taking the dry signal, lug three taking the wet, lug two would send a blend to the 10k resistor. If your small clone matches this version, the lack of true bypass might be a drawback, since the wet is simply cut off in bypass, and your blend pot might affect the bypass volume level. It wouldn't be hard to true bypass at the same time as adding a blend pot. You could just replace the 27k with a 15k + 25k pot for a little more or less wet in the mix, although this might affect the output level of the effect.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
User avatar
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 08:06
Location: Leeds, UK
Has thanked: 784 times
Have thanks: 811 times

Re: Small Clone Mix knob?

Postby ejendres » 06 Apr 2015, 19:03

Nocentelli wrote:Here is a schematic for the original small clone: http://www.tonepad.com/fpstuff/smallclone1024.gif

See the two resistors in the top right, 22k and 27k? These are the mixer resistors, giving a nearly equal blend of dry (through the 22k) and wet (through the 27k. If you replaced these two with a 50kB pot, with lug one taking the dry signal, lug three taking the wet, lug two would send a blend to the 10k resistor. If your small clone matches this version, the lack of true bypass might be a drawback, since the wet is simply cut off in bypass, and your blend pot might affect the bypass volume level. It wouldn't be hard to true bypass at the same time as adding a blend pot. You could just replace the 27k with a 15k + 25k pot for a little more or less wet in the mix, although this might affect the output level of the effect.


I believe I have the reissue with true bypass.

So I would pull the 22k and 27k resistors, wire leads from them to lugs 1 and 3, and then wire lug 2 to node with the 10k? Cool I can do that easy. Would it end up being able to do 100% wet/dry?

Any other mods that are cool with these pedals?
ejendres
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 03:02
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Small Clone Mix knob?

Postby Nocentelli » 08 Apr 2015, 13:56

ejendres wrote:So I would pull the 22k and 27k resistors, wire leads from them to lugs 1 and 3, and then wire lug 2 to node with the 10k? Cool I can do that easy. Would it end up being able to do 100% wet/dry?

Any other mods that are cool with these pedals?


yep, you remove the resistors, and connect from where they were previously connected to either side of the pot: the wiper replaces the common node with the 10k, and so the stock wet/dry mix will be just below 12 noon. At full clockwise/5 o'clock, the wet resistor is zero but the dry resistor is 50kB, so pretty much 100% wet, and at minimum the situation is reversed.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
User avatar
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 08:06
Location: Leeds, UK
Has thanked: 784 times
Have thanks: 811 times


Return to Pimp-My-Cheap-Pedal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests