Boss OD-3: Learning to tweak the beast

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.

Boss OD-3: Learning to tweak the beast

Postby leftysquire » 17 Apr 2015, 13:29

I'm liking the pedal, but am looking to learn to tweak an existing design. I have some electronics background (factory mods to Mackie mixers, guitar wiring, patchbay wiring/building), but am getting back to electronics after a decade long break. I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes :hmmm: This is for learning mostly and my personal enjoyment. I've read a lot about mods and the pedal on the interwebs and have annotated a schematic (that I'll attach once I get home) with what i think the major blocks are of the pedal, to help me mod as little as possible. I play old school funky stuff, 70's and early 80's metal mostly.

That being said, this is my starting point:
1. Lefty Fender standard Mexican Tele w/ashtray bridge, brass compensated saddles, Dimarzio Fast Track T wired with series coils, 250K linear taper volume control, no tone control.
2. Vox Pathfinder 10 amp, I closed the back of the amp as it sounds better to me that way. Nice sparkly cleans.
3. Boss OD-3. It's a bit bright and compressed, and has a bit too much gain. I use the gain around noon or less.
4. EHX LPB-1 nano series (to me modded once the Boss is complete) to boost he Boss.
5. Strictly a bedroom player.

My goal is:
1. to get the Boss to get me in the ballpark of a thicker, crunchy overdrive tone. Think humbuckers, basically need to remove some highs and boost some low mids.
2. Use and modify the LPB-1 to dirty boost the pedal into a more old school metal sound.

So, what could help me get there:
1. switching the 1st set of clamping diodes (d9 & d12) to 1n4001, or remove them completely
2. make d10 & d11 asymetrical
3. change d10 & 11 to 1n4001 or LED

Looking forward to getting the iron hot! All help is greatly appreciated from this hack guitar player.
leftysquire

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Boss OD-3: Learning to tweak the beast

Postby leftysquire » 20 Apr 2015, 13:26

Here is the schematic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leftysquire

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Pimp-My-Cheap-Pedal