Smallest Enclosure To Fit A Danelectro Mini Rehouse

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
jpistolas
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie DC-5

Post by jpistolas »

I am about to rehouse my Dano Pepperoni phaser and was wondering what would be the best size enclosure to use.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I've been able to fit them into 1590B sized enclosures. That seems to be the size people usually go for.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

soulsonic wrote:I've been able to fit them into 1590B sized enclosures. That seems to be the size people usually go for.
Oh, 'cmon...! I think you'll be going for the Bare Box :mrgreen: The man is in the states :horsey:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

he said he wanted "the smallest" , Bear Box is kinda big :lol:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

jpistolas wrote:I am about to rehouse my Dano Pepperoni phaser and was wondering what would be the best size enclosure to use.
soulsonic wrote:he said he wanted "the smallest" , Bear Box is kinda big :lol:
Nop, he don't say that :lol: Just joking, don't hurt me :hug:

jpistolas
Information

Post by jpistolas »

[smilie=a_whyme.gif] Thanks for the advice. Been too busy to reply. Guess the cowboy smilie was due to us "yanks" all being cowboys. Too me a minute to catch that one. Not being from Texas whre "everything is bigger" and they all are gun toting folks that went over my head. I live in the land of bluegrass & farmers. You only see the wannabe cowboys in the country music clubs which I avoid like the plague.

Appreciate the laughs & advice, thanks! :applause:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Nah, it was a reference to only people in the US being interested in buying the Bare Box because shipping to elsewhere is prohibitive. It's not really that big of a box though, about the size of a Boss pedal.
I'm still stickin' with my suggestion of a Hammond 1590B. Trying to remember, though... I think I reboxed a small Dano delay once, and I seem to remember the board not fitting very easily, like I had to shave it down a bit to fit. BUT, that was using one of the New Sensor 1290 boxes, which is slightly smaller than the 1590B on the inside. I don't recommend the 1290 boxes generally...I've used them alot but the quality is pretty poor. The Hammond is much nicer and worth the extra couple bucks.

jpistolas
Information

Post by jpistolas »

Honestly; it's nice to see some replies here. I posted a question here https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9301 and I've yet to get a reply. You guys rock. Not only for the needed info but I'm always up for a laugh.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

sorry, I don't know anything about the Biyang pedals. never messed with 'em

eyeprod
Information

Post by eyeprod »

I finally rehoused my friends beloved Pepperoni phaser. I don't know why some people knock it. IT's a nice little phaser and super budget. Not as good as my mutron phase2 clone, but very useable.

I had to resolder it before where a part of the board broke. Caused by a heavy foot on the switch and the cheap plastic enclosure. Turns out there are two boards in the thing and I ended up putting it into a BB size box to make it easy. The one board looks mostly empty, but turn it over and see how there is very little room for trimming.

This involved replacing the jacks, power jack, footswitch, 500k pot, and LED. Pretty straightforward, but I had to pay attention to how everything was wired. Even with the bigger box it was still a little tight for my tastes these days. I'm starting to go big instead of small. I don't use many pedals and it's a pain to cram things into a tiny box, especially if/when you have to repair it somewhere down the line.

It worked the first time I powered it up and seems to sound better for some reason. It's probably just me, but I'll see what my friend thinks when he tries it. I have one issue that I'm about to tackle and that's the footswitch takes two clicks to turn it on or off. I kinda guessed at the wiring because the switch that came out of it was weird to me. I'll figure it out.

I went with the jacks on the back this time for something different. Orange LED. The pot sits kinda centered, but oh well.