Effects Loop + True Bypass Mod?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
pervyinthepark
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pervyinthepark »

Hey, not a cheap pedal really, but I have an EHX Q-tron+, with the effects loop. It's nice for distortions for keeping the right tone, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows a way to have maybe a switch that would allow me to retain the effects in the effects loop when I put it into true bypass. So still have fuzz without the autowah, but without the fuzz messing up the signal.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Yeah, it should be possible: I did this mod to my diy lovetone meatball, which like the Qtron is based on the mutron III. You don't need to add another switch, instead you can just rewire the bypass footswitch so when the Qtron is engaged, the pedals are in the loop, and when bypassed the pedals in the loop are effectively in line with the output of the Qtron. The only drawback I can see is that you need to have the Qtron as buffered bypass rather than true bypass, but I'm not sure if the stock Qtron isn't buffered bypass anyway. You might need to look into the bypass switching arrangement (buffered or TB) and get back to this thread so I can describe the best way to do it.

If you want an extra toggle switch to put the loop effects either in the loop, or in front of the Qtron input, I drew a crappy diagram of a 3PDT way to do this here:

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... oo#p235088

I was contemplating doing this, but opted for the method outlined above instead.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

pervyinthepark
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pervyinthepark »

Does it have to be buffered? I'm not sure if the Q-Tron+ is buffered or not honestly, but if all I have to do is line the effects loop with the output, couldn't I just connect wire between the output and effects loop? Probably not, seems too simple.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

If you want true bypass, use the the second method (diagram in link) but note that it puts the loop effects in front of the envelope filter, not after.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

pervyinthepark
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pervyinthepark »

Fuck, that would not cure my problems using it with a Fuzz Factory. Thanks anyway!