Boss DS-2 help please!

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
dattoboy1
Information

Post by dattoboy1 »

I have a stock standard DS-2 that I love the sound of BUT there are 2 issues I'd like to take care of if possible:

1. Noise. After playing with some of my 'boutique' distortions, you realise that the DS-2 is a little noisy. Perhaps there are a few caps I could swap out for better quality ones that would make it quieter (and keep the values the same so don't mess with the original tone too much). I just don't know what ones to swap out and would appreciate some help on where to mod.

2. Volume. I always wished that this pedal had a little more volume on tap - Are there resistor/s I could swap out or change the volume pot to another value to get the desired volume?

I have read elsewhere that changing the clipping diodes to LED's will make it quieter and louder. I did try this in the past but found that the 'feel' of the pedal changed too much (felt less compressed) but I like the compression it has so not interested in swapping the clipping diodes. It also didn't make too much difference in terms of quietness and volume anyway.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Changing capacitors will have no effect whatsoever to the noise. The source of the noise is the semiconductors. You can change the op-amps for lower noise types, but you'll alter the overall "sound" of the thing somewhat. One noise reduction approach that might work for you is to add pre-emphasis on the way in to the pedal and de-emphasis on the way out. This would have the effect of reducing the higher frequency hiss content. However, I'd need to see an accurate schematic of the thing to recommend possible modifications.

Changing the clipping diodes will just change the clipping threshold - LEDs will allow more clean audio through before they conduct, germanium or Schottky diodes will clip at a lower threshold. Again, there will be no effect on the amount of noise the thing produces.

Getting more level at the output should be a question of just one or two resistor changes - again, an accurate schematic will show what changes are required. In some instances, getting more output might require an additional stage - perhaps just a single transistor with four resistors and two (or three) capacitors. However, you might find that the output is already close to the possible maximum for a 9V pedal. You might also find that the output is plenty, but is being loaded down by whatever follows it in your signal chain.....
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

mictester wrote:Changing capacitors will have no effect whatsoever to the noise. The source of the noise is the semiconductors. You can change the op-amps for lower noise types, but you'll alter the overall "sound" of the thing somewhat. One noise reduction approach that might work for you is to add pre-emphasis on the way in to the pedal and de-emphasis on the way out. This would have the effect of reducing the higher frequency hiss content. However, I'd need to see an accurate schematic of the thing to recommend possible modifications.

Changing the clipping diodes will just change the clipping threshold - LEDs will allow more clean audio through before they conduct, germanium or Schottky diodes will clip at a lower threshold. Again, there will be no effect on the amount of noise the thing produces.

Getting more level at the output should be a question of just one or two resistor changes - again, an accurate schematic will show what changes are required. In some instances, getting more output might require an additional stage - perhaps just a single transistor with four resistors and two (or three) capacitors. However, you might find that the output is already close to the possible maximum for a 9V pedal. You might also find that the output is plenty, but is being loaded down by whatever follows it in your signal chain.....
+1. I was about to post just that - I hereby consider my typing speed outperformed ;)
My only comment on the caps, was that replacing potentially bad filter caps is the only place you might reduce noise slightly in there.
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

dattoboy1
Information

Post by dattoboy1 »

grrrunge wrote:
mictester wrote:Changing capacitors will have no effect whatsoever to the noise. The source of the noise is the semiconductors. You can change the op-amps for lower noise types, but you'll alter the overall "sound" of the thing somewhat. One noise reduction approach that might work for you is to add pre-emphasis on the way in to the pedal and de-emphasis on the way out. This would have the effect of reducing the higher frequency hiss content. However, I'd need to see an accurate schematic of the thing to recommend possible modifications.

+1. I was about to post just that - I hereby consider my typing speed outperformed ;)
My only comment on the caps, was that replacing potentially bad filter caps is the only place you might reduce noise slightly in there.
I would definitely like to try replacing the filter caps as there are no opamps in this circuit. Any idea which caps would be the right ones?

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

There's an op-amp in there, if you know what to look for ;)
Q16 and Q19 make up a differential pair with single-ended output, amplified and buffered by Q17 and Q18. All the stuff going on between Q18's emitter and Q19's gate is the negative feedback path.
Fun! Innit? ;)

C11, C14, C16 and C17 are the PSU filtering caps, but I'm having a hard time believing they would be the culprit.
Attachments
BOSS-DS-2.jpg
---

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Try building an audio probe, and trace down where the noise enters the circuit. That's the easiest way of figuring out where the hiss comes from ;)
https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html
---