Op amp big muff kit for ~30$ ??

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ttone-DI ... c7e004b884

Anyone tried out these chinese cheapies, parts look close to an op amp big muff!! Might be worth playing with and adding that james tone stack..

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

A friend of mine bought several of these kits. They're pretty good, but you may find that (sometimes) the wrong component is supplied. In one case, the drilling was poorly laid out so that the provided jack sockets wouldn't allow the lid to fit! My pal contacted the supplier via Ebay, and was sent another - corrected - kit free of charge with a spare, drilled box as well! The supplier seems to really want to get this right, and the circuits used are well-known to us all. The 2399 delay is a clone of the DBD, for example. My friend is quite inexperienced in building electronic devices, so thought that this would be a good introduction. He's made five of these kits (including his free one!) and all have worked first time. The "Klon" clone was supplied with two voltage multiplier chips and one dual op-amp, instead of the other way 'round - I swapped the 7660 for a TL072 and all was well, since I got a chip I needed, and he then had all the parts he needed.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

reddesert
Information

Post by reddesert »

A seller with a very similar name, protaitone1012, sells a variety of kits on ebay. It looks like the same outfit. The kit names are a little random, e.g. the kit called "Fuzz Face" is actually the opamp Big Muff. I figured out what most of them are from the parts lists. I bought a kit clone of a Maxon OD-808 (2 opamp tube screamer) for $18, including a painted but undrilled enclosure. The PCB seems good and it all went together fine. You basically just get a piece of paper with the layout and BOM, no detailed instructions. I wouldn't recommend these kits for the novice, but someone with pedal building experience should be able to do one.

The significant disadvantage IMO is that it is designed to have the stomp switch soldered directly to the PCB. In a 1590B enclosure this is a tight fit, and makes packing the components in rather involved. If you drill the switch or jack holes a little off, it will be difficult.

If anyone wants to see a picture of the kit or my translation of the kit names to their probable parents, I could post that.

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

I'd appreciate it!

FYI, I got my big muff kit and all the components were correct, it seems to be based on gauss markovs schematic but I have looked up some of the values on kitrae and corrected them to originals.

Not a bad kit IMO especially for the money, the next hard part is going to be how am i going to fit a couple of extra knobs in there for controlling the tone.

reddesert
Information

Post by reddesert »

OK, before ordering one of these kits, I went through the ebay seller protaitone1012's listings, looked at the kit parts lists, and tried to figure out what each was likely based on (with some googling of parts and so on). I built this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Overdrive- ... 1676855868. Some are easier to ID than others. Note that the ebay descriptions can be a little mangled. My identifications are based on part counts, cap/resistor values, and so on, not on tracing PCBs. Corrections welcome.

compressor: opamp, 2 transistors, LED+LDR, etc -> DOD 280 (from tonepad?)

delay: PT2399, opamp, shows tonepad layout -> tonepad Rebote Delay (mictester suggested Deep Blue Delay?)

boost: 1 transistor -> AMZ mosfet booster or Super Hard On?

tremolo: 2 NPN's and a FET -> similar to EA tremolo?

distortion "DS-1": dual opamp, 3 transistors, 3 diodes -> Boss DS-1 variant (from tonepad?)

distortion "DS-NO1": LM833N opamp, 2 clipping LEDs -> Crunchbox?

"fuzz face": 2 opamps, 6 diodes in 2 sets of 3 -> op-amp Big Muff. Not a Fuzz Face, obviously.

overdrive "OD-1": opamp, 2 2N7000 mosfets -> some OCD variant?

overdrive "OD-2": 2 opamps, 2 clipping diodes -> Maxon OD-808 (tube screamer with opamp buffers)

distortion "DS-2" or "DS-3": opamp LM308, 2 diodes back to back, no FET: Rat minus the FET?

Obviously I spent a little too much time on this, but it was sort of like doing a crossword puzzle with slightly more useful results.

reddesert
Information

Post by reddesert »

Here are a couple of pictures from my build of the OD-808 clone kit:

You can look at the photobucket album for a few more pictures.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I just received a Delay kit (Rebote) from protaitone1012.

Pros
I made an offer $1 lower than the list price and it was accepted.
All parts correct.
Nicely painted box.
Works well

Cons
The holes in the PCB are a bit large so there is not much pad to solder to (which I suspect will soon lift off if you try to re-work the board).

The pots need to be fitted with no spacers (otherwise the board will not fit) so the knobs stick up a long way.

There is no way that the board will fit in the box with the jacks in their intended position. The solution I came up with was to re-drill the jack holes where the battery would normally fit. This wasn't a problem for me because I was not going to fit the battery snap anyway but I now have 2 unused holes.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Mr.Grumpy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

Wow, amazing. I couldn't source the parts for these builds at twice the price.

OMG!!! HORSEY KLON!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 49286.html

:applause:

dv8r601
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey ranger 212

Post by dv8r601 »

I've bought 2 kits(opamp muff, rat) from the proaitone12 dude on eBay and other than a tight ass squeeze with a battery in there it sounds great. I couldn't believe drilled painted 1590b and pcb Plus all relevant parts for $20USD shipped. The ds1 has the pcb layout from the big ds1 pdf floating around here. The description is kinda ambiguous on each different drive pedal. I did notice the ds3 said Rivera metal shaman on the description page but that can't be right with 3 pots. Decent quality decent price.

dv8r601
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dv8r601 »

As a follow up to my last post here I got some more pcbs from them. The new rat pcb wouldn't work at all because the drain and source of the 2n5458 were tied together. The build instructions didn't even show a spot for the jfet. Never the less. The OD1 is actually a Zendrive and its a higher quality pcb. Its thru plated and doesn't feel or look as cheap. All in all these have turned out to be an easy way to throw a pedal together for a friend really fast. Its the only full kit I've ever bought. I would highly recommend it to a beginner as an easy way to learn the rough basics. Vero and etching your own pcb is fun but sometimes I want instant gratification [smilie=a_smartie.gif] [smilie=banana.gif] .

peterc
Information

Post by peterc »

I find it interesting that the Klon kit is $40 while all the others are under $22.

Even the kits have an inflated price it seems.

They also do an Klon kit with the original style enclosure which is a bit cheeky. $200....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-Klo ... d40e187bd1

dv8r601
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dv8r601 »

Yeah they certainly are using the mythos around that pedal for their gain. The pcb alone is almost as much as the other full kits. Not everything they have is a bargain. And I should have said the shipping time is either blazing fast or ungodly slow.