Vox 847 Castledine Board Project

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
ryanm74
Information

Post by ryanm74 »

Hello, this is my first post and I hope I am posting in the correct section. I have a Vox 847 wah that I got fairly cheap, and it had this Castledine board installed. It works, and sounds good, but a couple of things I would like to change.

The first thing is making it true bypass. I have an appropriate switch (Dunlop ECB035 DPDT, not pictured) for doing it, but I don't know how to attach it properly to this board.

Second thing is that I would like to add a dc power port. It looks to me like this board already has the diode and filtering added to make that easy, but I don't really know where to attach the wires to the board.

I would appreciate any help I can get.
DSC08992.JPG
DSC08992.JPG (87.19 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
DSC08993.JPG
DSC08993.JPG (88.92 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
DSC08994.JPG
DSC08994.JPG (65.33 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

ryanm74
Information

Post by ryanm74 »

Just wanted to follow up on this. Yesterday I went to the Casteldine website. There are pages there explaining exactly how to do the wiring for the true bypass. I swear they were not there when I posted this. :lol: :lol:

I am still not quite positive how to wire in the dc adapter plug, so I would appreciate any help on that I could get.

ryanm74
Information

Post by ryanm74 »

Ok, to follow up on this for anyone that may care, I finally did what I should have done to begin with. I wrote to Stu Castledine, and received a very quick reply with simple directions. Everything worked out great! I am going to post what he wrote to me, in case anyone else may find it useful at some point. Here are the instructions, please see the wiring diagram that he also sent me:

I've attached a diagram which should help. You will need a new battery snap as well as the DC socket.

If you're using the 8-pin Vox connector, you can ignore the rest of the wiring, but you will have to cut the existing red battery wire off at the connector. The new red battery wire then goes to the DC socket as illustrated in the diagram. For the black battery wire, it's easiest to splice the new one to the existing black wire before it meets the connector. Then you need to add a wire from the +9V tab on the DC socket to the end terminal (or hole) on the PCB, next to the filter caps, and a new ground wire from the DC socket to the output jack (assuming you fit the socket on the output side).
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Thanks for sharing the instruction.
Which types of transistors are used?

ryanm74
Information

Post by ryanm74 »

I'm not positive, but I will try to answer the best that I can. One is marked BC 547B 335 (I am pretty sure, it is hard to see). The second appears to be marked BC 548B 227. The Castledine site calls them "transistors selected for gain and low noise".

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

ryanm74 wrote:I'm not positive, but I will try to answer the best that I can. One is marked BC 547B 335 (I am pretty sure, it is hard to see). The second appears to be marked BC 548B 227. The Castledine site calls them "transistors selected for gain and low noise".
Thanks for the Information.