Soul Food modding a mod

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
DanHalen
Information

Post by DanHalen »

Hello, this will be my first post. So I hope I make a good impression. Anyway, I am new to modding. I started out by modding my Soul Food. I wanted a fatter sound, so I added an on/off/on switch, and piggy-backed additional capacitors to the existing cap on the board with either on position while retaining the stock sound when in the off position.

Here is my question: is it possible to add a clipping diode circuit on one side of the switch in order to add additional distortion in that position?

dv8r601
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey ranger 212

Post by dv8r601 »

Yeah just use a dpdt switch.
Take wires from pads where diodes were on board and put them on lug 2 and lug 5 then add your pair on lug 1and lug 4 and another on lug 3 and lug 6

Kinda like the diagram in the lower part on this from Tagboardfx
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7A9KuTfiRJw/U ... itches.png
Attachments
Klon Centaur Revision 2 with Soft Clipping and Fat Switches.png

DanHalen
Information

Post by DanHalen »

I am already out of real estate in this box. So I am trying to see if I can add the clipping circuit to the mod I put in. I added a poorly drawn illustration.
20180326_172244.jpg

dv8r601
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey ranger 212

Post by dv8r601 »

The hunch I have is to say it's a no.

Depends on alot, mainly WHICH Caps youve piggybacked and what type of switch you're using, a dpdt on-off-on means you could use half for caps and half for diodes, but they would switch at the same times for the corresponding caps. easier to pop in another switch. Google Sub-Miniature Toggle Switches and you'll see they are tiny and with a bit of imagination and lube you can pop another one in the box like jhs does with his mods. This is where actual pictures of what we're working with comes in handy, otherwise its random speculations. (which I suck at)

microbailey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by microbailey »

Hi and welcome Dan. Great that you're trying this.

As dv8r601 says, you can always find somewhere to squeeze another sub-miniature toggle switch in, even if its on the back of the pedal.
Anyway, without knowing which cap on the board you have added your mods to its hard to say if that clipping diode will do much. For example if you've modded the first cap right at the guitar input then there probably isn't enough signal to clip with the diode anyway (depends also what diode it is). So if you can say which cap is your "existing capacitor" in that diagram, someone will be able to help you more.

Also you said you wanted the OFF position to keep the stock sound, but the way you're adding that diode on the OFF 'way' of the switch means its always across that "existing capacitor". May be not what you wanted? You could wire it across one of your new caps but as dv8r601 already said you can only have it on together with that cap mod too - fine if that's the sound you want but just be aware of that, unless you add another switch just for the diode.
"There's something about a Gucci loafer kicking on a fuzz pedal" Alex Turner, Arctic Monkeys

DanHalen
Information

Post by DanHalen »

First off, thanks for attempting to answer my question. I have long since come up with another solution, and it worked great (although, not what I intended). Sorry I never got back on here to thank you all sooner.

What I accidentally ended up doing out of complete ignorance was add a hybrid clamper circuit, and grounded it completely outside of that grouping. Now, when I switch to its position, there is a small delay as the capacitance fills, then I get a rich low end booming OD. The effect is similar to taking your amp off standby too soon - soft twangy sound, then BOOM!

Total beginner's luck, because I've mangled everything else I've touched except for my Ernie Ball wah.