Has anyone modded their MXR Distortion + ?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
masthefool
Information

Post by masthefool »

If so, was it worth modding or did it still sound thin and like a razor blade stabbing your ears ? Im thinking of modding mine and I have never tried modding a pedal so im curious if its worth doing

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

Here you can find a nice article from Brian Wampler (Wampler pedals, active member here also) with some interesting mods. Hopefully you can find the most useful for you.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... lus-mods-1

Ps: welcome!

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

I started this complete mods in the spring, but I stopped the work during the summer.
When it is getting cold outside, I start working again.
I applied two Russian GAY-63 diodes connected in series, as an approximation of the forward PN-junktion curve of an AA119 diode.
MXR_Mod_ComponentSide.jpg
MXR_Mod_Solderside.jpg

masthefool
Information

Post by masthefool »

Intripped wrote:Here you can find a nice article from Brian Wampler (Wampler pedals, active member here also) with some interesting mods. Hopefully you can find the most useful for you.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... lus-mods-1

Ps: welcome!
Thanks!

Looking at the article, I have questions since I am new to this and cant read schematics. "Change C5 to a .0022uf and wired in series with a 1m audio taper pot" How do I wire a pot with a capacitor? Also how would i wire the spst switches ( do they replace the capacitor or resistor ? I am sorry if my questions make sense

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

If you are completely new to elctronics and diy, i think that this could be the right moment to start learning something:
How to read schematics for example, it's not difficult at all, you just have to learn the few symbols used for components.

Here is a table with many symbols. You don't need to learn them all.
The most important for pedals schematics are:
resistor, potentiometer, capacitor, diode and LED, operational amplifier (also called opamp), transistor.

Then you could try and read the schematic of the distortion plus.
I think that in a short time, with some little efforts of yours and some help from the people over here, you'll be able to make your first mod to your pedal!

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

In my experience when you think your pedal sounds bad,its most probably because its plugged in the wrong amp at low volume,with a lousy sounding guitar.
What is your setup?

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

This circuit is a very good startibg point to learn the basics. Interesting things to read about: opamp circuits, high- and low pass filters, diodes as clippers.

There are a lot of circuits with the same topology, but different parts values: DOD 250, Vox 1901 Distortion, Guyatone Zoom Box PS-102.

But maybe it's easier to build a pedal from scratch than to try all those modifications on the original pcb - it might get destroyed in the process...

idy
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: FFs, Octavias, TBMKIIIs, Buzzarounds/alikes, Axis Fuzz', CS Overdriver, BMPs, Black '65s, MOSFETODs, WiiO, RAH, Klons, AC30, DLS, TSs and many variants, Small Clones, UniVibes, E. Mistress, Mutron Env Filter, Ross/Dynacomps,, EA Trems, TremLunes, Katana Boosters, BYOC Tri Boosters, other boosters and buffers, PT2399 delays, SKRM based delays, Belton Brick Reverbs, 3band parametric EQ,

Post by idy »

DIstortion+ is a good choice for first experiments. One of my first. I doubled the diodes. Friends were impressed. I couldn't duplicate the great sound. Finally discovered I'd broken one of the (glass) diodes. So I found I like asymetric clipping...
Yes, the "best" path is to get a breadboard and a few dollars worth of parts and start experimenting.